PDA

View Full Version : RE: Window Vista 64 Bit

simonlion
07-21-2008, 11:14 PM
Hello every one:
I just bought a new computer, Gateway, vista 64 bit, 6 Gig Of Ram..
512 Nvidia card..
I work with Lightwave, and Adobe Creative Suite: Photoshop flash, deramweaver...and so one...

I heard vista 64 bit is not compatible with many programs, as a a matter of fact when i opened Adobe bridge, I got this message indicationg this program is only compatible with pentium 4 or Duo core, But the image did opened from the bridge.
please every one, what should I do Keep this computer, or return it, and get a Due core 32 bit.. with 3-4 Gig of Ram;
Thanks every one
Simon

safetyman
07-22-2008, 05:47 AM
I have Vista 64 and I haven't found a program yet that didn't run on it, except a very old version of Roxio. With 6 gigs of ram, you can fly through some renderings. If you have a 32-bit system on the other hand, you are limited to 3 gigs of ram, and you'd be wasting your money if you bought a 32-bit system with 4 gigs. I would suggest that if you fear you will have problems, set up your computer to dual boot Vista and XP, then you have the best of both worlds.

Sekhar
07-22-2008, 07:58 AM
Adobe stuff will work fine on Vista 64 bit CS3 onwards. Even in CS2, only Acrobat will give you trouble (everything works, except it won't create PDFs).

Vista 64 bit simulates 32 bit for 32 bit programs (so-called WoW), so most 32 bit programs will think they're running on 32 bit, so you will be fine. You might have trouble like with Acrobat, or have other issues like with file paths - there will be two Program Files directories and some installers get confused. E.g., Adobe CS2 may not install unless you use a short version of the directory name. Stuff like that, no show stoppers. I have both CS2 and CS3 (Production Premium) on Vista 64 bit, and I have no problems, except for Acrobat 7 (CS2) and Audition.

One place that used to be a big problem is with device drivers (like printers/scanners). If you have a lot of older (and expensive!) peripherals, check out their sites for Vista 64 bit drivers. Pretty much all the newer devices have these drivers, so that isn't a problem either anymore.

simonlion
07-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Thank you very much every one for answering my question.. Last night Inside layout, I used 7 Different Area Light and It rendered pretty quick..
I think I,m going to keep this computer..
Once again thank you very much for your answers..
Simon