PDA

View Full Version : Awesome mudbox/lightwave character render!

prometheus
07-21-2008, 05:07 PM
Im not sure if oddity has posted that picture on his character here on the newtek forums?
check it out!!

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?threadid=655126&utm_medium=plugblock&utm_source=cgtalk

Itīs a mudbox highres sculpt and rendered in lightwave

Michael

WilliamVaughan
07-21-2008, 05:09 PM
I was very impressed with it as well. He did an amazing job!:thumbsup:

prometheus
07-21-2008, 05:23 PM
sasquatch and fprime and g2 at work too..it shows itīs value for this kind of stuff obviously.

a nice classical style to the image, something like a blend between a photo and a painting.
I really thought that it was some kind of painting from a photo first.
probably insane amount of polys for animation thou, but it wasnīt made for that so..

Michael

cresshead
07-21-2008, 05:27 PM
his work is so good he should asked if the render can be used at the newtek stand this year....and asked if he'd like to be 'unbanned' for this forum too...

i missed his 'critique' and his huge talent for sculpting and lighting insights here.

jameswillmott
07-21-2008, 05:48 PM
When he wasn't being caustic he was an incredible great source of information and inspiration, but I don't think he'll be unbanned any time soon ( if ever )

hrgiger
07-21-2008, 07:52 PM
I just commented on it over there. I have to admit, he's really come a long way.

jin choung
07-21-2008, 09:16 PM
what the heck... wasn't this guy the one that was railing about the moral perversity of digital cheesecake?

i don't think he should have been banned. i got into a huge sling fest with him too but he was/is genuinely talented and valuable to the community - at the very least for being a refreshing simon cowell in a land of paula abduls [most members of most forums].

oh well, our loss.

jin

SP00
07-21-2008, 09:32 PM
what the heck... wasn't this guy the one that was railing about the moral perversity of digital cheesecake?

i don't think he should have been banned. i got into a huge sling fest with him too but he was/is genuinely talented and valuable to the community - at the very least for being a refreshing simon cowell in a land of paula abduls [most members of most forums].

oh well, our loss.

jin

NT should just do what CGsociety do, just unban him and review all his post before it is posted. He has a loud mouth, but I gotta respect his work, they always blow me away. This is the type of work that should be shown at Siggraph. Unfortunately, it is not pure LW.

colkai
07-22-2008, 03:38 AM
jin

Ahh, but Jin, his work is "Art" and "tasteful" you see, not the same thing at all, no siree! ;)

A darned shame he's so caustic as it really does detract from his skills.

Matt
07-22-2008, 03:49 AM
jin

Yeah I was thinking that! She's a bit young too.

archijam
07-22-2008, 03:53 AM
Fantastic as always.

He should really take that skeleton off his website, it's been there forever and this is in a different league...

I kicked up a fuss about the ban at the time, but I'm sure he's not losing sleep over it any more ;)

Matt
07-22-2008, 07:45 AM
In my experience. the best artists are usually. hmm, how do I put it politely... :)

Wankers?

Surrealist.
07-22-2008, 07:51 AM
LOL!

But clearly a work of art. Man! Thanks for the link!

jasonwestmas
07-22-2008, 07:53 AM
There is nothing wrong with non pure lightwave .

Thats today's workflow.

In my experience. the best artists are usually. hmm, how do I put it politely... :)

Pinheads? LOL, I just laugh at them:hey: I did appeciate him however.

manholoz
07-22-2008, 07:57 AM
Maybe we need a "purify comment button", that would solve most problems with sarcastic postings.
Then maybe I'ld have to apply it to my posts too :D

jasonwestmas
07-22-2008, 08:02 AM

oh well, our loss.

jin

He just knows CGSoc has a thing for nude women. ;) That or his hormones finally kicked in.

jasonwestmas
07-22-2008, 08:56 AM
Maybe we need a "purify comment button", that would solve most problems with sarcastic postings.
Then maybe I'ld have to apply it to my posts too :D
HAHAHA. . . that purification button would only give a lengthy (I'm talking novel) psychological and philosophical explaination for the sarcastic post. "oh what I meant to say is:" :thumbsup:

*Pete*
07-22-2008, 09:10 AM
Nice to see the work of Oddity again, he is one in a million...there are not many artists like him, and when he is using LW his value as "commercial" for NT shouldnt be underestimated.

banned/unbanned..i dont know, he has a sharp tongue and can often be very funny, other times very insultive.
unbanned with censorship perhaps?..intresting that he never snuck back here under a new nick as that bryphi guy keeps doing.

UnCommonGrafx
07-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Amazing work.

Bummed when he was banned. Yet, understood.
He should only be allowed in beta where the views are less public and more to the point. He is an asset; yet another in our midst unused...

Earl
07-22-2008, 04:46 PM
Amazing model and render.

She does seem way too young though.

bobakabob
07-22-2008, 05:11 PM
A shame he could be Mr Insightful one minute yet Mr Nasty the next. Hence the ban, though in his defence it was often a matter of tone. He seems to enjoy the notoriety.

Yet it takes a lot of guts for many young artists to show their work on a public forum. Some need nurturing and encouraging and if they're unexpectedly torn apart by an overly competitive competent artist you can hardly blame them if they desert the galleries, and possibly CG forever leaving only Mr O to display his sculpts. Not really education in my book, it was too reminiscent of psycho games teachers at school.

Still I must admit I miss the banter about the nature of art. The threads seemingly went on forever, in their futile way and reaching a definition was as sublimely useless as nailing jelly to the wall.

bobakabob
07-22-2008, 05:14 PM
I meant to add, should Newtek forum bans really be for life and is redemption possible? :)

Sekhar
07-22-2008, 07:25 PM
Trouble with seeing this kind of work is it makes everything else look like garbage. I'm speechless.

cresshead
07-22-2008, 07:30 PM
yeah he's talented in the extreme...hope to see this in print in one of those expose books
...makes zbrush, mudbox, fprime,g2 and lightwave look like they are the top tools for the job 'if' you have the talent and knowledge to put them to use.

Matt
07-23-2008, 04:57 AM
I meant to add, should Newtek forum bans really be for life and is redemption possible? :)

He did have a LOT of warnings!

Shame really, he is obviously very talented, and his crits actually spoke the truth, the Simon Cowell reference is very true! Just his delivery usually stepped over the line, and he wouldn't back down.

sammael
07-23-2008, 05:19 AM
Nice inage I'm surprised he's even still using LW... guess he can dish it out but take it too. He is an ******* but his critique was good value. :)

moc
07-23-2008, 05:27 AM
haha...always a mid-age painting style...nothing new.....
Maybe you will say woow..at your first sight then you won't read it twice.

animotion
07-23-2008, 09:47 AM
She does look a bit young to me also.

Nice work but I think that the thighs, calf's and ankles look a bit odd.

cresshead
07-23-2008, 11:18 AM
well she's only 2 weeks old...[time taken to create]

i don't have any 'hang ups' seeing 'works of art' as soon as you constrict what's okay and what's not your heading down the road to the delights of control freaks..running your life and censoring what's 'good for you'.

if you don't like what you see..don't look...simple eh?

Imatk
07-23-2008, 02:15 PM
He seems to enjoy the notoriety.

I think you've pretty much encapsulated him there.

I've never posted about this guy before because it always seemed kind of pointless, and I always felt that he was just trying to get a rise out of whomever he decided to aim his criticism toward.

I say criticism because basically it never seemed like he really wanted to help someone improve. It seemed like his main goal was to insult regardless of the shreds of truth or not, and by insulting--start an argument.

It's kind of pathetic really.

There are plenty of great artists that aren't this way. And I truly hope that people don't REALLY believe you have to have this attitude to accomplish great work.

He is a good character artist, but I for one don't miss any of the threads he started or participated in.

SP00
07-23-2008, 02:45 PM
Yeah, you can be a great artist, but if your hard to work with. Your not getting the job.

BigHache
07-24-2008, 12:35 AM
Oddity's in Ireland, so IS he Irish? I know I'd enjoy his posts if he could send an audio recording of them.

jin choung
07-24-2008, 01:15 AM
I say criticism because basically it never seemed like he really wanted to help someone improve.

maybe he didn't. and it may not be his style to offer advice and "help" in the obvious sense.

but i think that making "obvious helping" a prerequisite to commenting isn't necessary either. i mean why playschoolize everything?

in this day and age where everyone's trying to grease wheels, it is really refreshing to have someone be ballsy enough to just say unequivocally, "hey you suck. you really really suck."

to a certain extent, in this "everyone's special" preschoolized world, we don't hear that enough. to the extent that a lot of people go around harboring potentially dangerous (*cough*bush*cough*) and life limiting delusions about themselves.

haven't we all watched american idol and thought, "he's right! go find something else to do with your life because this will be the death of you by starvation if you persist!"

if the criticism is TRUE - regardless of whether he offers any tips or is equanimous about it - it's VALUABLE - it's HELPING.

(sure, you can say that it's just his opinion. but it can represent an opinion that others will have about something as well. and some opinions are more valid than others)

shattering dreams - ala simon cowell IS helping.

why all the lollycoddling all the time? if you want a do it, you'll find a way. why all the concern about "breaking someone's aspirations".... if the aspiration can be broken, perhaps it's not strong enough to deserve surviving. and you can't get better if you think you're awesome when you're not.

i read somewhere that hollywood is a town where you can die from kindness. precisely because of all the wheel greasing and for fear of stepping on the toes of the next spielberg. everyone will say nice things but you may never get a job or sell a script, etc.

in light of that, sometimes, having a talented but mean motherfer is valuable.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

finally, i think having a permanent ban on a paying customer is a ludicrous idea and they should seriously consider modifying their policy.

1. it doesn't do any good. as we all know, ip spoofing lets a certain severely dissatisfied customer raid the forums any time he wants.

2. it says something positive about difficult users that they still WANT to participate. there are other forums. but if someone seeks to participate in THIS forum (esp if they are as talented as oddity), they are a resource that can be harvested. if they found a use for riddick, can't we find a use for oddity? maybe just point him at our enemies and let him go.

3. they purchased your product. and in my mind, access to the product's community is part of the value of a product. not to mention that frequently it serves as customer support.

that doesn't mean that there shouldn't be rules. there absolutely should be and in the end, it's newtek's ball and they can do with it what they wish.

and i'm wholeheartedly in favor of justified suspensions.

but permanent bans seem counterproductive as well as futile.

jin

jin choung
07-24-2008, 01:23 AM
There are plenty of great artists that aren't this way. And I truly hope that people don't REALLY believe you have to have this attitude to accomplish great work.

btw,

i totally agree but does it even need to be said?

i don't think anyone believes that the two traits necessarily go together.

jin

Darth Mole
07-24-2008, 01:39 AM
Imatk nailed it for me. The Simon Cowell approach works on TV because it gets viewers. On a user forum like this that approach is simply destructive and confrontational. Yes, some people suck. But helping them improve is surely the more rewarding option, and while oDDity did try to do that on occasions I feel he very quickly reverted to simply criticising without any constructive help. Slagging stuff off is easy; mentoring someone and helping them improve is bloody hard.

For the record, the piece he's showing on CGT is technically amazing. He has the patience of a saint to do that kind of work! I'm a bit ambivalent about the imagery - the style and subject matter is not something I aspire to - but I have to admire his ability... if the guy was more personable (like Larry Schultz or Andy Brown over at Lux), he'd be such a valuable asset to this forum, to LW and to NewTek.

Would I like to see a video tutorial of that piece? Hell yes.

starbase1
07-24-2008, 02:13 AM
He always had huge skill and talent, and it was a delight to see his work.

But the relentless and frequently personal viscious attacks, particularly against those just starting out, were completely unacceptable. How many potentially good CGI artists, or hobbyists, did he put off or drive away? One is too many.

He had his chances, plenty of them.

colkai
07-24-2008, 02:55 AM
Yeah, you can be a great artist, but if your hard to work with. Your not getting the job.

That right there is the truth of it. :)
Mind you, that said, I do think artists have a certain brain wiring others don't.
My missus is a natural-born artist darn her, she definitely thinks differently to most folks we know, she also "sees" things in a different way, when we talk about something, it's fascinating to listen to how she visualises it and what she notices most.
Whilst she can be difficult, thank the Gods, she's nothing like oDDity. :D

tyrot
07-24-2008, 04:23 AM
dear bighache

he is not :) he is british. btw..i like you avatar...caught somewhere in timeeeee

I know him for a long time (although after ban i couldnt talk to him)

I asked him several times about the motivation of insanely brutal attacks (which he almost slaughtered me couple of time pretty bad...)

his answers

1- I work so much on this and if you work less than me and still asks pathetically attention from me..no sir i wont give it to you.Others may give but i wont..because you are lazy, you make couple of polygons and wasting your time for getting attention instead of working in modeler...(it worked for me)

2- I m doing it for fun and people sometimes taking it so seriously so i go on...

as far as i know oddity lives in a quite place, so probably this is his way of communication..

3- He really literally burns himself, i rarely witnessed that he enjoys what he accomplished.. He was his worst critic.

Personally i read all his harsh comments like just harsh comments. But in several threads he really went into awful personal attacks...But because majority of Forum visitors are consist of fragile glasswork, things went utterly wrong...

But i also agree with Jin's comments. His next step would be Stahlberg's type of work. Then probably he will kill himself with his tablet :)

BEST

bobakabob
07-24-2008, 04:50 AM
maybe he didn't. and it may not be his style to offer advice and "help" in the obvious sense.

but i think that making "obvious helping" a prerequisite to commenting isn't necessary either. i mean why playschoolize everything?

in this day and age where everyone's trying to grease wheels, it is really refreshing to have someone be ballsy enough to just say unequivocally, "hey you suck. you really really suck."

to a certain extent, in this "everyone's special" preschoolized world, we don't hear that enough. to the extent that a lot of people go around harboring potentially dangerous (*cough*bush*cough*) and life limiting delusions about themselves.

haven't we all watched american idol and thought, "he's right! go find something else to do with your life because this will be the death of you by starvation if you persist!"

if the criticism is TRUE - regardless of whether he offers any tips or is equanimous about it - it's VALUABLE - it's HELPING.

(sure, you can say that it's just his opinion. but it can represent an opinion that others will have about something as well. and some opinions are more valid than others)

shattering dreams - ala simon cowell IS helping.

why all the lollycoddling all the time? if you want a do it, you'll find a way. why all the concern about "breaking someone's aspirations".... if the aspiration can be broken, perhaps it's not strong enough to deserve surviving. and you can't get better if you think you're awesome when you're not.

i read somewhere that hollywood is a town where you can die from kindness. precisely because of all the wheel greasing and for fear of stepping on the toes of the next spielberg. everyone will say nice things but you may never get a job or sell a script, etc.

in light of that, sometimes, having a talented but mean motherfer is valuable.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

finally, i think having a permanent ban on a paying customer is a ludicrous idea and they should seriously consider modifying their policy.

1. it doesn't do any good. as we all know, ip spoofing lets a certain severely dissatisfied customer raid the forums any time he wants.

2. it says something positive about difficult users that they still WANT to participate. there are other forums. but if someone seeks to participate in THIS forum (esp if they are as talented as oddity), they are a resource that can be harvested. if they found a use for riddick, can't we find a use for oddity? maybe just point him at our enemies and let him go.

3. they purchased your product. and in my mind, access to the product's community is part of the value of a product. not to mention that frequently it serves as customer support.

that doesn't mean that there shouldn't be rules. there absolutely should be and in the end, it's newtek's ball and they can do with it what they wish.

and i'm wholeheartedly in favor of justified suspensions.

but permanent bans seem counterproductive as well as futile.

jin

I see your point regarding being truthful, but the WIP Forums partly (some might say mainly) have an educational function. There's nothing 'refreshing' or 'truthful' about self promoting rudeness. Simon Cowell has had his day, it's so tired, and anyway can't you see it's just theatre? Many people go to the WIP forum to learn. And if you've ever worked in education, you'd know you wouldn't survive two minutes if you told students they "sucked". I'm sure your vocabulary is more extensive than that anyway Jin. Good feedback is direct, truthful and constructive with strengths and weaknesses pointed out in a tone that isn't reminiscent of Mr Psycho Games Teacher:D

jasonwestmas
07-24-2008, 07:19 AM
I do agree that there are somepeople who need to be put in the "rough-house". But yeah at the same time people who are just starting out. . .help em out, or let them be to develope on their own..

JP

JonW
07-24-2008, 08:20 AM
There has hardly been a photograph that has not been retouched. And an artist would be a fool if he didn’t use all the tools available to him.

This image has a skill level of unparalleled excellence.

jin choung
07-24-2008, 11:58 AM
And if you've ever worked in education, you'd know you wouldn't survive two minutes if you told students they "sucked".

i've read scorsese says stuff like that as feedback when he teaches film classes. again, even absent further direction and encouragement, truth alone has value.

I'm sure your vocabulary is more extensive than that anyway Jin.

personally, it's not my style to tell that to anyone. i am not a teacher and unless i'm getting paid to judge someone, i don't give feedback of any kind unless some work inspires me to say something nice. but that's me. oddity's different and probably MORE helpful than me for his caustic comments that he takes the time to make.

Good feedback is direct, truthful and constructive with strengths and weaknesses pointed out in a tone that isn't reminiscent of Mr Psycho Games Teacher:D

yeah but now we're judging the commentary. again, my argument is that truth, however unadorned by kindness is valuable.

jin

adamredwoods
07-24-2008, 12:10 PM
again, my argument is that truth, however unadorned by kindness is valuable.
jin

yes yes yes. it hurts, but it is soooooo valuable.

I give constructive feedback, but only b/c I had to when I was a producer to get my crew's work up to par. its automatic now.

Jake
07-24-2008, 12:47 PM
It's been a long time since I've read one of his posts on these forums, but I remember the last ones clearly.

It wasn't so much an issue that he was giving his unadorned opinion. It was that, for one thing, he was lambasting other posters and the community in general for not acknowledging the same defects he was pointing out. I remember someone posted a female model that had many anatomical distortions. Some people ooohed and aaahed it. He posted, ripping on the model and then lambasting everyone else that had posted in that thread, and then the Lightwave community in general.

He had a problem with digital cheesecake. Well i can sympathize with his desire to see more naturalistic bodies, but on a deeper level this is a subjective issue. Some people want idealization in their art, others don't. I remember him bashing guys for being ignorant about what a female breast looks like, even when they countered that their wives/girlfriends had bodies that actually looked like that. There's such a thing as not sugar coating your opinion. Then there's denigrating other people for not sharing your opinion.

This is definitely a monumental accomplishment in terms of digital rendering. He's got tremendous skill for sure. But I'm curious, medium issues aside....how would people respond to this image if it was actual photography? If he took a girl, dressed and posed her this way, lit it and took a photo.

Wade
07-24-2008, 12:48 PM
Well other communities "filter the guy" he is banned here but others also feel that they need to keep him in check.

Ivan D. Young
07-24-2008, 01:14 PM
I would slap some kind of disclaimer on everythign he posts, I don't know maybe some kind of flashy thingy that says beware of poster, he makes rude comments and that too much salt is bad for your diet.

I think if Newtek did that, then there would not be a problem. After all most controversial folks love it when they get the moniker of dangerous, offensive, or whatever you want to call it.

The problem lies with noobs and folks not aware that trolling something out there and Oddity posts is like throwing blood in the water and being aghast that a shark shows up. I am no longer surprised and many people are not surprised at his behaviour anymore. When I see his posts they get from me an automatic discount on being any thing other than a crazy rant laced with excellent art skills. I frequent forums where it is CG skills not opinion. Who really cares whether he is right or wrong. he makes his points in discussion so wildly negative that he negates himself many times as being someone's opinion to value.
You want proof, follow some of threads on CGTalk where people just go, "oh look he is ranting again big deal." He is making himslef look like a fool for being so far out there, hey that is his deal. Still a very talented artist and I like seeing his excellent work.:devil:

Ågrén
07-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Oddity is a perfectionist. His obsession to art and detail is a heavy stress.
He might not be an ideal team worker in the overpopulated modern world, but still he is a true artist.

Sekhar
07-24-2008, 01:42 PM
BTW, did you guys see his interview at http://www.cgarena.com/archives/interviews/rodSeffen/index.html? Found this while Googling him some months back.