PDA

View Full Version : Edge of object problems

blindsided
07-21-2008, 10:08 AM
Hello,
I am getting a strange artifact at the edge of some of my objects with certain renders.

The outside edge furtherst from the main light source seems to have a white outline that extends beyond the mesh?

I have been using the perspective camera mostly, but it appears also with the classic.

I am not sure what is causing it, although moving the main light source to a more front on view eliminates the effect to some degree.

Any help or advice would be grateful.
thank you

blindsided
07-22-2008, 02:07 AM
Still no resolve, anyone else had this. Afraid my LW skills are not great, so may be somethig simple, but cant seem to get around it.
any help/advice would be grateful.

serge
07-22-2008, 04:28 AM
I'm surprised the renderexperts here haven't replied yet. Perhaps you should give more info on how the scene is lit and rendered. Are you using HDRI maps? To me it looks a bit like an AA issue on over-bright pixels (which could be fixed by checking "Limit Dynamic Range" at the "Processing" tab), but I'm not sure this is the case here.

blindsided
07-22-2008, 05:16 AM
Thanks serge,
No HDRI, Simple 3 point lighting, KEY LIGHT LEFT OF CAMERA AND UP is an AREA LIGHT, FILL AN BACK LIGHT both SPOTLIGHTS NO SHADOWS.
RAYTRACE SHADOWS ONLY
NO OTHER RAYTRACE OPTIONS

PERSPECTIVE CAMERA
AA: 2
RECON FILTER: Classic
SAMPLE: Blue Noise
ADAPT SAMP: 0.05
OVERSAMP: 0.2
MB: Photoreal
MB PASS: 3

Limit dynamic range is definatly helping but the effect is still present, and is obvious in open GL viewport.

My ability to describe the problem maybe is not as good so difficult for people to come up with a soloution, i thought maybe the screen grabs would help and experts would say...'oh yes the idiot has forgot to do blah blah blah...what a newie!!!':p
thanks for advice, will keep plodding away.

serge
07-22-2008, 05:28 AM
Limit dynamic range is definatly helping but the effect is still present...
This is helpful information I'm sure. I guess you'll just have to wait a bit until a renderexpert sees this thread. :)