PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave is small!

sean hargreaves
07-20-2008, 05:25 PM
How can I make the LW buttons and stuff bigger on my 30" monitor?

Giacomo99
07-20-2008, 09:37 PM
I found it sort of tough for the first few days I had my big display too.

You can either operate the display at a lower resolution or just get used to it. Your brain will likely adjust after an initial period of awkwardness.

sean hargreaves
07-20-2008, 09:52 PM
Petes sake......

voriax
07-20-2008, 10:14 PM
Don't drag Pete into this..

You do get used to it after a while. Then you go back to a smaller screen and the icons looks massive.

sean hargreaves
07-21-2008, 09:02 AM
WHATS THE POINT OF HAVING A 30" MONITOR IF THE BUTTONS ARE THE SIZE OF ANTS????

Options, options, options. If I can change my icon size, I SHOULD be able to customize the size of my software interface. ie: Lightwave buttons (or whatever they're called).

Is that too much to ask?

Its like you design a great fighter jet, but theres no way to put air in the tires.

Friggin programmers...............:twak::cursin::mad::grum py::compbeati:bangwall::cry::cry::cry:

*Pete*
07-21-2008, 10:07 AM
Don't drag Pete into this..

thanks..but its too late, im already here :devil:

Weetos
07-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Options, options, options. If I can change my icon size, I SHOULD be able to customize the size of my software interface. ie: Lightwave buttons (or whatever they're called).

Second that. Since LW GUI is based on explicit text buttons, it kinda logical you may want to change font and button size - there's a large range of monitors available today, from 17" to 30" or even more and applications should allow to adapt the interface to the user's display. One would say that it's up to the OS to take care of this, and I guess it's true, but in the case of LW, changing the text dpi at the OS level to 120 or anything higher changes the font size, but not the buttons size, which is a bit annoying and gives ugly results.

Anti aliased text would be appreciated too (we're in 2008, right ?) - Mac users already have that, so why PC users don't ? Again, OPTIONS ! We want OPTIONS !

I won't expect anything in that area in the near future (NT please surprise us :D ), I just hope LW10 will have more options as long as GUI is concerned.

littlewaves
07-21-2008, 07:43 PM
Anti aliased text would be appreciated too (we're in 2008, right ?) - Mac users already have that, so why PC users don't.

because we Mac users are just so much smoother and better looking ourselves it's only right that our text should reflect that. :D

Weepul
07-21-2008, 08:02 PM
WHATS THE POINT OF HAVING A 30" MONITOR IF THE BUTTONS ARE THE SIZE OF ANTS????
That's one of the reasons I've not gotten an LCD; I like my low physical PPI screens...running my 19" CRT at 1280x960 makes things a smidgen smaller than I'd like, but even now I'm a bit cramped for space when working with nodes.

Supposedly, resolution-independence (that is, UI elements that scale to different sizes for different resolutions) is an up-and-coming feature in the world of operating systems. LW of course could support it on its own, and that certainly would be a nice feature.

That said...

Didn't you have any idea what you were getting yourself into when you purchased a $1500+ screen? :confused:

Off-topic, slightly: I'd really like to see in person one of these 25.5" 1920x1200 screens that are on the market, but I don't know what stores would have them on display. Brands I've heard that use this panel are Planar, NEC, and DoubleSight.

sean hargreaves
07-21-2008, 08:50 PM
Well, I'm not going to NOT buy a large screen cos of the small buttons, I mean, I CAN deal with it. Its just that, I would rather not.

Chuck
07-22-2008, 05:27 PM
How can I make the LW buttons and stuff bigger on my 30" monitor?

You on windows? If so, in your Display Control Panel, Settings/Advanced/General set your DPI setting to large (120) or a custom figure that looks appropriate. The downside is that some text will not fit properly on to the buttons and panels, but at least the size is a bit more readable for most of it. That's a limitation of the current GUI toolkit in use for LightWave, and something we do plan to address down the line (no estimate on when).

sean hargreaves
07-22-2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks Chuck,

But actually I'm on a Mac.......