PDA

View Full Version : Apple 30" monitor resolution!!!

sean hargreaves
07-20-2008, 01:10 PM
Hi guys,

I just realized that my Apple 30" monitors highest resolution is 1280 x 800.

That madness, how can that be??? My 17" G4 laptop is 1440 x 900.

I'm using a MacPro desktop.

Am I missing something??

Dexter2999
07-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Hey Sean,

Just curious , what is your graphics card?

sean hargreaves
07-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Dexter, I don't know, I just bought the computer off the shelf. No customization.

How do I find out what card I have?

sean hargreaves
07-20-2008, 01:35 PM
Wait a sec, is this it:

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT

Dexter2999
07-20-2008, 01:38 PM
Choose Apple
About this Mac
More
Graphics Displays

Dexter2999
07-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Okay I have that same card.
Go to your system preferences and set
colors: Millions
refresh rate to 60 Hertz

Click detect displays and see what resolutions are available.

Lightwolf
07-20-2008, 01:48 PM
Only one of the DVI outputs is Dual Link, which is required to drive a 30" properly.
Try hooking up the monitor to the other DVI output on the back of your machine.

Cheers,
Mike

arsad
07-20-2008, 02:58 PM
Your resolution should be 2560*1600, if you plug it via dual link, as Lightwolf mentioned,
and your gfx card has at least 256 megs of Ram.
At least this is the resolution my 30" has (not a cinema display but a HP)

sean hargreaves
07-20-2008, 04:36 PM
OH MY FRIGGIN GOD!!!!!!!

LIGHTWOLF, DEXTER, ARSAD, EVERYONE.....IT WORKED!!!!!

ITS A MIRACLE...............ITS A FRIGGIN MIRACLE.....!!!:bowdown::bowdown:

I LOVE YOU ALL, EVERYONE OF YOU....!!!!! Well, I like you a lot, anyway!

I unplugged and replugged into the other outlet in the back of the MacPro tower.

You know, I just came back from the Apple store, and the guy was prattling on about how I need an updated video card, but he's not sure, and to make a reservation at the Genius Bar, and also to contact Apple support, and oh, the card will be $279 plus tax.

AND I GET BACK HOME ALL SULLEN AD DOWN, AND YOU GUYS HELP ME FIX IT FOR FREE. I LOVE THIS FORUM. :D

sean hargreaves
07-20-2008, 04:38 PM
Ok, now all my icons are like, miniaturized, I need a magnifying glass.......

And the buttons for Lightwave are so small..........

What the....????? :confused:

sean hargreaves
07-20-2008, 04:42 PM
Ok, I got the icon size fixed. But the Lightwave miniature button problem is.....well.........a problem!!

And tips guys???? :confused:

gerry_g
07-20-2008, 05:42 PM
Well I doubt if anyone runs these things maxed our at full res for reasons that will be only too apparent to you by now, try a compromise and use something like 2048x1260, I do and a lot others do too

rakker16mm
07-20-2008, 06:07 PM
OH MY FRIGGIN GOD!!!!!!!

LIGHTWOLF, DEXTER, ARSAD, EVERYONE.....IT WORKED!!!!!

ITS A MIRACLE...............ITS A FRIGGIN MIRACLE.....!!!:bowdown::bowdown:

I LOVE YOU ALL, EVERYONE OF YOU....!!!!! Well, I like you a lot, anyway!

I unplugged and replugged into the other outlet in the back of the MacPro tower.

You know, I just came back from the Apple store, and the guy was prattling on about how I need an updated video card, but he's not sure, and to make a reservation at the Genius Bar, and also to contact Apple support, and oh, the card will be $279 plus tax.

AND I GET BACK HOME ALL SULLEN AD DOWN, AND YOU GUYS HELP ME FIX IT FOR FREE. I LOVE THIS FORUM. :D

Yes, well the genius bar is a great concept, but not there are not always enough geniuses to go around, nor are they all qualified in every area. I'm sure the same thing applies to the boys at geek squad as well.

What I like about forums such as this, is that so many people see the question and at least one or two people are sure to have the answer.

BigHache
07-20-2008, 10:23 PM
I affectionately refer to that area in the Apple store as the Idiot Bar. :)

Unfortunately it is just marketing, and as rakker16mm mentioned, they usually do not have enough qualified people on hand for the Genius Bar to live up to its name. Sean, I would take their advice with a grain of salt, especially the floor associates as they are merely hired for sales, not for their knowledge of the systems, which is usually minimal.

avkills
07-20-2008, 10:49 PM
Well I doubt if anyone runs these things maxed our at full res for reasons that will be only too apparent to you by now, try a compromise and use something like 2048x1260, I do and a lot others do too

I run mine at full rez, don't have any problems with the LW interface, you just need to get used to it.

-mark

sean hargreaves
07-21-2008, 12:07 AM
But Mark, the buttons are tiny................

Why don't they make it so you pull the lower right bit of the frame, and EVERYTHING gets bigger, not just the frame.

I mean, there are so many choices....I'm baffled as to some that don't make the cut!!

meshpig
07-21-2008, 03:43 AM
To change the icon size right click on the desktop and go view options.

Use a lower res or the Display's top menu bar icon is a quick way to bump it up or down as you need to.

m

sean hargreaves
07-21-2008, 08:57 AM
Meshpig, I know about the icon size, I'm talking about the buttons in Lightwave! It does'nt seem to let you change the button size to make them larger.

Why don't these friggin programmers have some linearity to their decision making about what they will and won't program.

If I can change the icons, then let me also be able to change the other sizes of things, like...........the buttons in LW.

gerry_g
07-21-2008, 09:13 AM
Usually you can't alter icon size because they're all bitmaps and thus designed to be displayed and read at a fixed size, however programs like Photoshop allow UI text to be displayed at one of three sizes – small,medium or large, so if they can do it and as the LW UI is predominantly text based why can't LW, go join the Beta team and put in a feature request or learn to put up with it like the rest of us Sean

arsad
07-21-2008, 09:20 AM
well I run Lw at 2560*1600 and have no problems at all with text size... ;)

sean hargreaves
07-21-2008, 10:31 AM
Gerry_g, I find it amazing that a graphics program like LW has this option limitation.

A lot of graphics people are now buying larger screens.

Its not a matter of putting up with it, its a matter of voicing my opinion over a huge oversight, and it is huge. You should be able to customise the size of the buttons, just like you can customize your keyboard.

Of course I will have to put up with it, but I think its a dumb oversight.

sean hargreaves
07-21-2008, 10:32 AM
I just don't particularly want to put my face 12" from the monitor.

Lightwolf
07-21-2008, 12:22 PM
I just don't particularly want to put my face 12" from the monitor.
Well, considering the res you shouldn't sit much further away than you do at a 20" either. And the dotpitch is almost the samy, so physically the icons aren't that much smaller... you just have more screen estate.

If you actually want to sit further away then a HD 32"/40" monitor (1920x1080 pixels) might be a better choice.

Cheers,
Mike

JeffrySG
07-21-2008, 01:46 PM
I love 1980x1200 on my 24" but I would think on a larger monitor you would want to run at a higher res. I would, like other people have said, run at a lower res if 2560 is too small for you. But first, I'd give it some time to get used to it. That is the whole point of running a large monitor... to get more pixel real estate, right? I'd give a week or two to see how you adjust... good luck!

Wopmay
07-22-2008, 05:33 PM
Here's my compromise.

Go to Mac Prefs.

Go to Keyboard & Mouse

Choose the Mouse panel

At the bottom, turn on "Zoom using scroll ball while holding [CONTROL]"
(Or whatever key you want. I use the Control key.)

Instead of leaning in to 12" from the screen (and I have two of them) I just lay back, point at what it is I can't see and let my fingers do the walking. Works great. Your mileage, as they say...

Good luck
w

sean hargreaves
07-22-2008, 08:53 PM
Criminy, you have two 30" monitors??

Thanks for the tip!

Wopmay
07-23-2008, 02:14 AM
Alas, if it was only the size of your pencil that mattered as opposed to what you actually write.

Here's another trick:

Mac System Prefs again.

Go to Universal Access.

Choose the Mouse panel

At the bottom again, I bump up the size of the mouse cursor a bit. Makes it a little easier to find in all that luxurious acreage.

Cheers,
W

Chilton
07-26-2008, 08:38 PM
Hi,

The only problem with these giant screens is that CoreAnimation has issues with anything over a little over 2k in width or height, so anything that animates something that big will also have issues. For example, a full-screen Quartz Composition running in the background, in a layer backed view, will have visual artifacts at best, and more likely will have a giant black bar down one side.

And no, we don't do that in LightWave, nor will this affect LightWave. But if you encounter issues like that in an app, that's a good candidate for the reason.

-Chilton