PDA

View Full Version : Firewire Freakout!

luka
07-28-2003, 03:41 PM
Hello Siggraphites and everyone else.
I think I might of discovered a problem working on LW scene files from a FWHD.

I got myself a new FWHD and put all my 3d work on it, at first everything was running fine until just recently I tried loading a scene file then I tried object files. My whole system would freeze. After a service call to my supplier they had a look at my drive and said it was fine. I then thought what if LW was causing the freeze as it happened eveytime I was using it. So I had a quick look and decided to remove the DVView.p and you know what I can read write and render without a hitch of my FWHD.

Anyone else had similar problems:confused:

mlinde
07-28-2003, 04:49 PM
I haven't even touched DVView, but you may want to post this in the bug list, with steps to reproduce the error/problem. It sounds like a typical development problem, not testing some hardware configuration that is quite common on a Mac and less so on a PC. :(

eblu
07-28-2003, 09:31 PM
theres a known issue with final cut pro thats similar. you cant work on a firewire harddrive bc Final cut assumes control of the port to control Cameras.

as long as you dont use DVView, then it sounds like a good workaround.

dennis
07-29-2003, 12:24 AM
eblu,

I haven't ever had a problem using a firewiredrive and a camera with FCP. I've had success with a dual 500 g4, dual gig g4, 667mhz g4 ti.

I haven't had a camera hooked up to the powerbook at the same time as a fw drive (you would have to daisy chain the camera to the fw drive because there is only one port on the pb). You might have problems with throughput and bus traffic with that config, but otherwise, it's been flawless.