PDA

View Full Version : Audio Issues (I think)

mrtechdir
07-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Hello All,

I'm having a problem with my VT5 "glitching" and "hanging". This happens in capture and in playback and from more than 2 sources.

The problem started when I had a registry error and had to reinstall windows. When I did that I figured it was a good time to upgrade from VT4 to VT5.
I tried to go back to 4 but still had the problem so I went back to 5. :compbeati

I am running my audio to the SX-84 breakout box and then out from there.

I'm assuming this is an audio problem because I sometimes get the glitching when I'm playing audio in my browser or WMP.

I use a program called "Driver Detective" to keep all my drivers up to date so I don't think it's a driver issue.

Any help would be apprciated!

Thanks!
Jonathan

Quiet1onTheSet
07-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Hello All,

I'm having a problem with my VT5 "glitching" and "hanging". This happens in capture and in playback and from more than 2 sources. JonathanI wonder if you performed that VT upgrade while having Driver Detective, and perhaps some other programs (e.g., Anti-Virus apps, etc.) running.

Perhaps a reinstall of VT[4] and VT[5] is in order, making sure nothing else is running during the install process. But hopefully you'll not have to do all that. Try this first:

1. Have your current VT[5] installation perform a RESET CONFIGURATION, followed by an AUTO CALIBRATION routine.

a. Make sure your SX8 or SX84 Breakout box is connected for this process
b. Go to START > PROGRAMS > VT[5] > UTILITIES > RESET CONFIGURATION
c. Once Reset Configuration is complete (just takes a few seconds, actually), with the SX Breakout Box connected, Launch VT[5]. You should then be greeted with a VT banner which instructs you that "VT[5] Auto Config needs to run before you continue. Do you wish to run Auto Config now?"
You want to Answer [YES] by clicking accordingly.

After Auto-Config is done, VT[5] launches, and hopefully, your operations are smooth. See if things are now smooth, within VT[5].

~~~

If that fails, you, then try the uninstall/reinstall of VT[4] and VT[5] approach:

1. Remove both versions of VT from ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS in Windows (check also that the VT SD Drivers are uninstalled from CONTROL PANEL/SYSTEM/DEVICE MANAGER, and that you've removed VT icons from the system drive, the desktop, Start Menu, etc., then reboot.

2. When your OS has fully launched, with all disk activity completed, and the auxiliary programs stopped by you (Driver Detective, etc., etc...)
, proceed to Disk 1 install of VT[4]. Once installed, reboot, to install the VT[4] drivers (not sure whether or not it's necessary to install the VT[4] drivers, but it won't hurt if you do).

3. Install the VT[5] Upgrade, again, ensuring that no other programs are running, so as to not interfere with your VT installation process. When done, and with the SX Breakout Box installed, reboot, so the drivers can then be installed.

4. Launch VT[5], entering the Product ID or what-have-you, and allow the system to Auto Calibrate.

Let us know how things go? :)
-PeterG

mrtechdir
07-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Peter, thanks for the reply.

Since the computer is a stand alone (I plug in to a network to run updates and programs like Driver Dective then unplug it) I don't have any anti-virus programs running and Dirver Dective was installed after I kept having the problem.

Auto Cal was about the only suggestion newtek's tech support had to offer and it didn't help.

I tried reinstalling when I first went back to VT4. (before putting 5 on again because 4 gitched also)
If no one else has any suggestions I will try going back to 4 again.

Thanks!

Jonathan

goodrichm
07-21-2008, 10:00 AM
Jonathan,

I used Scott Bates' procedure in the below link to uninstall VT4 and install VT5 and had no problems. Maybe it'll help...MG

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76313

Quiet1onTheSet
07-25-2008, 09:17 AM
Hi, Johnathan. You're likely well aware of this already: the best case scenario for upgrading from VT[4] to VT[5] might well involve a fresh install of the Windows operating system.

That might be the final test for determining whether the problem is software related, or not. Even so, here's hoping you've gotten to the bottom of that audio issue by now, and have gotten it completely resolved.

Q1
:hey:

mrtechdir
07-28-2008, 06:59 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks for the help.
I decided that the next time it happen I was going to uninstall it and start over.:bangwall:
So of course it's been good all week. No glitches on the weekend either. :thumbsup:

After the next glitch it will be back to vt4 but for now we're good!

Quiet1onTheSet
07-29-2008, 06:05 AM
Hey guys... it's been good all week. No glitches on the weekend either... :thumbsup:Hmmmm - so what transpired, mrtechdir, that resulted in your smooth week with VT[5]? Is there something in any of the posts above, which you put to good use -- such as the SBTRUP*?

Q1
:D
*Scott Bates Toaster Restoration and Upgrade Procedure

mrtechdir
07-29-2008, 09:40 AM
Actually no . . . I hadn't got around to changing anything yet.
It has actually done this a couple times.
It will be fine for a week or so and then it starts glitching again.

I'm sure it was all excellent advice, and I'm sure I'll use it in the near future. :D

Quiet1onTheSet
07-29-2008, 10:27 AM
Actually no . . . It will be fine for a week or so and then it starts glitching again. You did communicate that to us earlier. Come to think of it, that leads one to ask if there's some electrical power issue that's the cause.

Is your host PC plugged directly into a wall outlet or power strip, for AC power?

If you're employing something more substantial than the above, then what, specifically, is the make/model of the AC power source device that your VT[5] host PC is plugged into?

How old (or new) is that AC power conditioning device?

Q1

mrtechdir
07-31-2008, 04:05 PM
Q1,

I hadn't thought of that possibility - thanks. Any idea's on how to monitor my power supply to the PC?

I'm running off a "APC XS-1500". No idea on the age.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Quiet1onTheSet
07-31-2008, 06:29 PM
Q1,

I hadn't thought of that possibility - thanks. Any idea's on how to monitor my power supply to the PC?

I'm running off a "APC XS-1500". No idea on the age.

Thanks,

Jonathan OK. Well, we've got the XS-1300 here.
Do be aware given the electrical abuses a power conditioner/line filter/surge protection device is designed to absorb, critical components therein can most certainly begin to show signs of wear and tear, over time.

While I've got no idea about how to test the performance of one of these puppies (er, dogs), you just might find a manufacturing date code on a label affixed on the case, that'll tip you off as to its age.

Just a thought or two.

Q1

csandy
08-01-2008, 07:30 PM
While I've got no idea about how to test the performance of one of these puppies (er, dogs), you just might find a manufacturing date code on a label affixed on the case, that'll tip you off as to its age.

Just a thought or two.

Q1

Do these battery back-up units provide an actual clean sinusoidal power signature? I those things were hideously expensive.

mrtechdir
10-21-2008, 08:00 AM
Hey all,

if it's cool I'm going to open this thread back up. my issue is back again. :compbeati

I used the uninstall instructions given above. After I had it installed I open the case and re-seeded all the cards. (just in case)
I then reinstalled V4. I ran this for a couple days with no problems but I wanted to go back to V5 because none of my current speededit projects would work in V4.
I upgraded to V5 and it worked fine for almost 2 weeks. Then Sunday morning (we are a church) I forgot to drop a 3 min promo into the ddr. So I ran back here dropped it in just as he said "watch this video". I hit play and it was glitching so bad I just stopped it after 30 seconds.

Now I'm thinking a couple things.
1. I don't think it's a sound issue now. I only have the glitches when VT is open. If I close VT and watch the video through WMP it works fine.
2. Could the video card be going bad?
3. Is my computer not "man enough" to handel VT 5?
Specs:
Intel Xeon 3.4GHz
2 gig ram
running the SX-84 breakout box for video (Local geforce 7300 GS for monitors)
running scsi raid0 with 2 logical drives at 600 gig a piece (C: - is a seperate physical drive)

thanks for the help!

kd4sgd
10-22-2008, 03:34 PM
regarding the power issues, your UPS is probably not a true online version. this means that the battery portion of the battery backup never comes into play unless there is an outage, where as a true online UPS runs from the batteries all the time and the comercial power keeps the batterys charged. most APC's have a window setting for the "threshold of transfer" meaning if the window is to wide the power could drop without the UPS ever switching over. another thing to look at is that inexpensive power/surge strips dont play well with UPS's. most likley the output of you UPS (when on battery) is not a true sine wave, it is probably a modified sine which can cause the MOV's in the surge pprotector to go guffy much the same as Q1 described earler in the post. i also had a wierd thing with my drive aray. i am running 6 seagate ultra 320's on a dual adaptec card (2 chains with 3 drives each) although the aray passed newteks disk test utility with flying colors i kept dropping frames and having studder problems in playback. I broke all of the stripes and re formated the 6 drives. then rebuilt the aray as 4 drives (2 on a chnl and 2 on b chnl) and then placed the remaining 2 drives on a second stripe (1 on a 1 on b) this solved all of the problems......

Tod Cole
10-30-2008, 03:20 PM
Hey all,

if it's cool I'm going to open this thread back up. my issue is back again. :compbeati

I used the uninstall instructions given above. After I had it installed I open the case and re-seeded all the cards. (just in case)
I then reinstalled V4. I ran this for a couple days with no problems but I wanted to go back to V5 because none of my current speededit projects would work in V4.
I upgraded to V5 and it worked fine for almost 2 weeks. Then Sunday morning (we are a church) I forgot to drop a 3 min promo into the ddr. So I ran back here dropped it in just as he said "watch this video". I hit play and it was glitching so bad I just stopped it after 30 seconds.

Now I'm thinking a couple things.
1. I don't think it's a sound issue now. I only have the glitches when VT is open. If I close VT and watch the video through WMP it works fine.
2. Could the video card be going bad?
3. Is my computer not "man enough" to handel VT 5?
Specs:
Intel Xeon 3.4GHz
2 gig ram
running the SX-84 breakout box for video (Local geforce 7300 GS for monitors)
running scsi raid0 with 2 logical drives at 600 gig a piece (C: - is a seperate physical drive)

thanks for the help!

What else in the Vt was open when you dropped it into the DDR? Did you wait to see if the clip needed to render before playing? sometimes your settings need a tweek for playback in the DDR if you have other modules open. What is your drive read write speed?

animlab
10-31-2008, 12:29 AM
It might caused by a over-heated VT card, I guest.Try running VT for a long time (>4 hours) in a no airconditioned room few times to see it will happen or not.