PDA

View Full Version : Global "On/Off" Switch for Weight Maps?

Giacomo99
07-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Hello-

Is there some kind of easy way to turn all the weight maps for an object off? I want to test the deformation of particular joints, and it's just incredibly tedious to go through each bone and select "None" under the Bone Weight Map pull-down menu.

Please advise.

xchrisx
07-24-2008, 11:14 AM
Well turning them off is the easy part, turning them back on might be a pain.
First save your scene :) Then...

For turning them off I would open up the New Scene Editor, goto the Property tab in the top right of the window, choose influence from the pull down menu, select all maps and change to none. check deformations.

i think the fastest way to "turn on" the weightmaps would be to just reload your saved scene at this point, but that all depends on how many bones and weightmaps you have.

If anyone else has a better idea for reapplying weightmaps i am all ears :D

Giacomo99
07-24-2008, 11:33 AM
Um--thanks. I suppose I was sort of hoping for a way that didn't involve reloading the scene, but this might be helpful at some point.

prospector
07-24-2008, 12:42 PM
Use spreadsheet editor
Turns off AND on weights

MythBred
07-24-2008, 12:49 PM
How about making a spare object, with all the weight maps set to 0?
Then you could simply replace obect with that object, test your deformations, and then replace the original object?

Giacomo99
07-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Those last two are pretty good--I'm not advanced enough to know what the Spreadsheet Editor is yet, but it sounds promising. The spare-object route also looks very useful, although, again, it would involve going into Modeler and setting all the maps to zero--if I'm working on a fully rigged human figure with a dozen weight maps, that's a problem.

The issue here is that the way a character deforms is influenced by three things: the structure of its geometry, its bones, and its weightmaps. It's more or less easy to edit the first two in isolation, but there's no easy way to turn off all the weightmaps to see how adding an additional edge loop (for example) has changed the way a joint bends.