PDA

View Full Version : Presetcentral - Counting Down!

Matt
07-17-2008, 02:46 PM
After years of absence from the scene, PresetCentral.com is coming back, bigger and better than before.

It will be launching SIGGRAPH week, with cool prizes to be won!

Bookmark it now!

http://www.presetcentral.com/

Cheers
Matt

CMT
07-17-2008, 02:55 PM
Marked!

JeffrySG
07-17-2008, 03:06 PM
command-d it is!

looking forward to it! :D

mikadit
07-17-2008, 03:10 PM
Uh, I was there in the last 24 horus and didn't notice anything, but suddently this news! :eek:
Seams to be a great news, thanks Matt! Already going to say it everywhere. :D

SP00
07-17-2008, 03:26 PM
This is great and just what the community needs to produce awesome results. Bookmarked!

RebelHill
07-17-2008, 03:29 PM
hmm... i was wondering when this was gonna be going gold only today as i was wandering down the road... now i know.

Weetos
07-17-2008, 04:07 PM
Wonderful ! Thanks Matt !

shrox
07-17-2008, 04:45 PM
In my best Homer Simpson voice, "D'oh! 24 days?! I want it now!!"

Wickster
07-17-2008, 05:11 PM
bookmarked at work and at home. thanks Matt!

benhaines
07-18-2008, 09:40 AM
Matt, perhaps we should reveal the cool prizes we have... :)

Matt
07-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Not sure I know what they all are! So go right ahead! :D

benhaines
07-18-2008, 09:43 AM
14 Days to go and all shall be revealed... ;) I know I'm a tease, sorry.

Larry_g1s
07-18-2008, 09:52 AM
nice front page, looking forward to it.

Matt
07-18-2008, 09:54 AM
nice front page, looking forward to it.

Thanks! :)

WilliamVaughan
07-19-2008, 04:04 PM
Looks like this could be an amazing resource site...looking forward to it!

cresshead
07-19-2008, 04:12 PM
excellent news!

only last week i bought FW2 shaders so having yet more presets available soon will be great
also looking forward to some nodal presets from you chaps!

benhaines
07-22-2008, 08:38 AM
The good news is that there will be categories dedicated to plugins... including IFW2 :)

benhaines
07-28-2008, 04:37 PM
As promised, prizes have been announced...

Get preset'ing :)

From www.presetcentral.com (http://www.presetcentral.com)

Competition prizes will include:

* One copy of Newtek LightWave 3D, courtesy of Newtek Europe
* One copy of the IFW2 plugin (quad license), courtesy of Richard Jennings at Shaders.co.uk
* One infiniMap Exr & exrTrader bundle, courtesy of db&w
* Two copies of "Learning Lightwave 9" by Olivier Michon and translated by Ben Vost, courtesy of Elephorm

Entering the competition will be easy! Every preset shared on PresetCentral.com will be entered into the competition.

More details to be announced at launch...

benhaines
07-29-2008, 02:56 PM
Oooh... and add to that a copy of LWCad courtesy of Viktor at wtools3d.com (http://www.wtools3d.com)

:thumbsup:

Matt
07-30-2008, 09:01 PM
Getting close now, just a little teaser! Ooooooh so cruel I know! :D

Kudos must go to Weepul who has helped make the preset scene (which will be available from the site when launched) even better than before! Also to Mike Wolf who's legendary knowledge of all things technical helped with my understanding of gamma correction!

(BTW: I know about the error on the blue square RGB values!)

cg_mike
07-30-2008, 09:43 PM
Hey Matt,

If you guys make the sample scene available pre-launch, we can get cracking on preparing some presets to upload when the site goes live.

Matt
07-31-2008, 03:56 AM
Hmmmmm, good idea, Ben, what do you reckon? (I need to finish off some stuff on it first though).

UnCommonGrafx
07-31-2008, 05:41 AM
Matt,
Finish off what you need to and definitely give the community the chance to fully participate on opening day.
This is some of the funnest stuff to do that I can see you guys being overwhelmed soon.
Thanks to all for the efforts going into what is to come.

starbase1
07-31-2008, 06:11 AM
Hey Matt,

If you guys make the sample scene available pre-launch, we can get cracking on preparing some presets to upload when the site goes live.

Absolutely! If given a crack at the sample scene, I'll get busy...
Nick

benhaines
07-31-2008, 09:18 AM
I say fair game! Who are we to stop people from building up their little stash of presets for the competition!?

Matt, I love the carbon fibre preset. Now if you could only make a few custom parts for my Ducati (in my dreams) motorbike that would be ace!

BeeVee
07-31-2008, 09:26 AM
You should speak to rapidlaser - he's printed out parts for Formula 1 teams before.... ;)

B

Matt
07-31-2008, 06:55 PM
I say fair game! Who are we to stop people from building up their little stash of presets for the competition!?

Well in that case, let's release the scene early!

I'm nearly done sorting the files and creating the scenes, there are now 12 scenes to pick from!!!! (Don't worry it's not as complicated as it sounds!)

Lit with GI and luminous polygons:
10mm_PSC_std_scene-GI.lws
10cm_PSC_std_scene-GI.lws
1m_PSC_std_scene-GI.lws

Lit with just Area Lights (no GI):
10mm_PSC_std_scene-non_GI.lws
10cm_PSC_std_scene-non_GI.lws
1m_PSC_std_scene-non_GI.lws

Lit with GI and luminous polygons + tone mapped:
10mm_PSC_std_scene-GI_tone_mapped.lws
10cm_PSC_std_scene-GI_tone_mapped.lws
1m_PSC_std_scene-GI_tone_mapped.lws

Lit with just Area Lights (no GI) + tone mapped:
10mm_PSC_std_scene-non_GI_tone_mapped.lws
10cm_PSC_std_scene-non_GI_tone_mapped.lws
1m_PSC_std_scene-non_GI_tone_mapped.lws

So the idea will be ...

First decide which scale will show your surface off best (a huge texture on a small object won't show any detail).

Then choose whether your preset looks nicer under GI (using luminous polys) or non-GI (using just Area Lights) and whether it should be tone mapped or not.

Render, save preset and upload (when the site goes live).

I'm hoping to do a video tutorial on how to use these files and the uploading process, which will be available on the site where you download the standard scene.

Cheers
Matt

Weepul
08-01-2008, 03:46 PM
and whether it should be tone mapped or not.

Just a bit of info I'd like to mention about this:

Gamma correction, "linear workflow", tone mapping, and so forth are all different terms (and potentially different approaches) for the same thing. You can read up about it online, but here's the purpose of having a separate preset scene for it: surfaces will look different after they've been adjusted, so a preset that was made for use with straight, unadjusted LW renders won't necessarily look right.

So, to showcase surfaces that have been made intended for use with a linear workflow, there's that scene. The tonemapping in it is fairly basic - just LW's own HDR Exposure filter, but with settings that give a pretty similar response to a 2.2 gamma (just a bit more contrasty and nicer to look at).

So, if you're going to be gamma correcting, or using SG_CCTools (http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82605), or rendering in Kray with exponential tonemapping, check out presets that use the tonemapped scene. :thumbsup: Likewise, if you typically use a linear workflow, you'll probably want to render your previews using that scene.

Matt
08-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Okay people!

The scene files for the Presetcentral standard scene are ready for download!

Grab them here:

http://www.presetcentral.com/images/stdscene.png (http://www.presetcentral.com/)

Have fun!

Cheers
Matt

Matt
08-04-2008, 06:59 AM
Just some more info. Weepul helped tweak these scenes so that they render faster and look nicer, so many, many thanks to him for his awesome help!

So the package contains:

10cm_area_lights.lws
10cm_area_lights-tone_mapped.lws
10cm_luminous_polys.lws
10cm_luminous_polys-tone_mapped.lws
10mm_area_lights.lws
10mm_area_lights-tone_mapped.lws
10mm_luminous_polys.lws
10mm_luminous_polys-tone_mapped.lws
1m_area_lights.lws
1m_area_lights-tone_mapped.lws
1m_luminous_polys.lws
1m_luminous_polys-tone_mapped.lws

So the idea is, pick a scale that shows off your preset best. Then choose which lighting method you've designed your preset for (normal LW lights, or luminous polygons (both use GI to look nice). Then whether your surface was designed for a gamma corrected workflow or not.

Also, there are LW 9.5 / 9.3.1 versions of all. The 9.3.1 ones render roughly about half the speed of the 9.5 ones!

9.5 rocks! :)

The reason we have so many versions is basically because, LightWave isn't Maxwell, you can setup your lighting in different ways (Maxwell has NO lights remember, it uses luminous polygons essentially) so if we could have done one scene that fit all scenarios, we would have!

The test object has a surface name called "SurfaceThis", this is what you should surface, leaving all others alone.

There are also two UV maps for quick UVing in the standard scene. But clearly your saved preset wants to be as flexible as possible, so you might want to tweak it to a standard mapping technique before uploading.

Hope that helps clear some stuff!

Cheers
Matt

Iain
08-04-2008, 07:58 AM
There's obviously been a lot of work put into this and it looks very professional.
Well done, in advance, to all involved!

I'll be contributing whatever I feel might be useful.

Matt
08-04-2008, 09:59 AM
There's obviously been a lot of work put into this and it looks very professional.
Well done, in advance, to all involved!

You have no idea! ;)

But thanks!

After some suggestions, looks like we might be tweaking these scenes, this was bound to happen when we released to the masses!

Not major changes, just tweaks!

benhaines
08-12-2008, 04:38 AM
Agree with Matt, I think we'll be all catching up with sleep over the next few weeks :) Not to mention the grey hair we are all sporting now... but its worth it.

PresetCentral will be launched tomorrow (Wednesday 13th Aug), so I suggest you check back then Iain.

Take care.

glebe digital
08-12-2008, 07:52 AM
Looking forward to it.

Bytehawk
08-12-2008, 10:25 AM
squeeeeeee !

glad this is back. Missed it tremendously.

once I get back to LW, this is the first thing I'll try

must finish work first.............

:)

Matt
08-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Presetcentral is now LIVE!!!!!

http://www.presetcentral.com/

monovich
08-12-2008, 05:04 PM
sweetness!

Hopper
08-12-2008, 05:16 PM
Wow .. very nice!

Matt
08-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Whoohoo! Fun with presets!

:)

Quick test (simple cubic mapping) using a carbon fiber preset (http://www.presetcentral.com/preset/68/)

Wickster
08-12-2008, 08:55 PM
Oh wow! this is awesome Matt. Many thanks and congratulations for this.

Hopper
08-12-2008, 09:38 PM
One thing I'd like to note:

You have a broken link for the standard scene download button... the link states:

http://dev.presetcentral.com/PresetCentral_Standard_Scene.zip

dev = www

benhaines
08-12-2008, 11:50 PM
Please to say thats been fixed now. Thanks for letting us know ;)

scratch33
08-13-2008, 12:26 AM
But, where are the presets???

I can see only the last submition.

If I go to "browse", the links work, but I go to a white page.

I want my presets...

Please...

Lightwolf
08-13-2008, 12:43 AM
But, where are the presets???

I can see only the last submition.

If I go to "browse", the links work, but I go to a white page.

I want my presets...

Please...
Which browser are you using?
I can see them on XP64/Vista x64 in FF3, IE7 and Opera 9.5 - with JavaScript.

Cheers,
Mike

starbase1
08-13-2008, 12:48 AM
Which browser are you using?
I can see them on XP64/Vista x64 in FF3, IE7 and Opera 9.5 - with JavaScript.

Cheers,
Mike

Same problem here with firefox 2

Lightwolf
08-13-2008, 12:50 AM
Well, I suppose you could mail Ben Haines and report issues:
[email protected]

Cheers,
Mike

benhaines
08-13-2008, 01:05 AM
Fixed... in a moment of crazyiness this morning I introduced a new bug.

"Can we have some Change Control round here.... please!"

benhaines
08-13-2008, 01:10 AM
This is what you should be seeing ;)

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=61724&stc=1&d=1218611394

geothefaust
08-13-2008, 01:17 AM
Looking amazing, great job on the site guys! It looks so damn professional. I really like the preview, and they are so well organized.

benhaines
08-13-2008, 01:20 AM
Glad you like it. We'll be posting a video on tagging soon which will be an incredibly powerful way of searching for presets.

In the mean time please share. The more people share, the more people will find this resource useful.

Please share... enough said ;)

Did I mention it was really easy to upload presets? ;)

zapper1998
08-13-2008, 02:01 AM
OMG

Cool

scratch33
08-13-2008, 03:05 AM
Works fine now,

Thank you very much.

Wow man, lwcad presets, lights presets and camera presets???

That's awesome:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you.

Matt
08-13-2008, 03:17 AM
Works fine now,

Thank you very much.

Wow man, lwcad presets, lights presets and camera presets???

That's awesome:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you.

I know! Ben, Mike and Andy done us proud! I just whined about pixel alignment! :D

glebe digital
08-13-2008, 03:27 AM
ok, at the risk of sounding totally dense....... how do we create the .pst files from our .srf presents? :stumped:

Matt
08-13-2008, 03:44 AM
ok, at the risk of sounding totally dense....... how do we create the .pst files from our .srf presents? :stumped:

.srf files are surfaces loaded (and saved from) into the 'Surface Editor' using the 'Load Surface' button.

.pst files have been saved to the preset shelf by double clicking the thumbnail (with the Preset Shelf window open)

So, .srf to .pst = Load Surface in Surface Editor, bring up Presets window, double-click to save to it (don't forget to rename it, or it might be given an auto-generated name like "s3lo.2").

starbase1
08-13-2008, 03:53 AM

Open up your presets window, while editing your surface, (or whatever you are editing).

If you double click your preview, it will be aded to the presets in your current panel, from where you can set the name etc. The file name will not be the same if you re-use a name (such as "default"!)

For things like HV's you will need to double click the viper preview.

It's a great feature and makes organising your presets a doddle!

Nick

glebe digital
08-13-2008, 04:00 AM
Well you learn something new everyday! :)

I guess it's about time I read a manual. :D

starbase1
08-13-2008, 04:21 AM
Well you learn something new everyday! :)

I guess it's about time I read a manual. :D

I'm not kidding, I'd seriously suggest that the preset shelf was the single biggest step forward in usability for Lightwave ever. It makes it so easy to see what you are loading instead of wading through a bunch of file names...

Nick

DBMiller
08-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Anyone having trouble uploading presets? I can see step 1 of the upload process but steps 2 and 3 are not there. The header is , Step 1, Step 2, Step 3 but no input fields like step 1. I've tried it in Safari, Firefox , and Explorer.

Matt
08-13-2008, 12:51 PM
Did you click 'Submit'? It doesn't show the other fields until you do (the reason is because the site scans the preset and displays the appropriate categories, it can't do this until you upload) Don't worry it's not the final upload.

I think we should rename that button to 'Next'

DBMiller
08-13-2008, 01:44 PM
Did you click 'Submit'? It doesn't show the other fields until you do (the reason is because the site scans the preset and displays the appropriate categories, it can't do this until you upload) Don't worry it's not the final upload.

I think we should rename that button to 'Next'

I see that you did change the button. I tried again in both Safari and Explorer and it still jumps to the home page after I click "next". I must be doing something wrong somewhere!?

benhaines
08-13-2008, 01:59 PM
Hi DBMiller,

The jumping to the front page is a very crude method of error handling... i.e. I didn't have time to code a helpful error message. Basically your preset has failed some basic tests that prove its a preset.

Now, I'm not saying it isn't a preset, but rather that the preset you are trying to upload isn't recognised by code.

I recommend you email me the preset at [email protected] and I'll take a look at it for you and let you know whats up.

Take care and thanks for (trying to) sharing.

Regards, Ben

DBMiller
08-13-2008, 02:03 PM
Hi DBMiller,

The jumping to the front page is a very crude method of error handling... i.e. I didn't have time to code a helpful error message. Basically your preset has failed some basic tests that prove its a preset.

Now, I'm not saying it isn't a preset, but rather that the preset you are trying to upload isn't recognised by code.

I recommend you email me the preset at [email protected] and I'll take a look at it for you and let you know whats up.

Take care and thanks for (trying to) sharing.

Regards, Ben

You were right on about it being my preset! I went back to my scene and looked over what I had done and saw that I had saved it wrong. What a dolt... Thank you for the response. DBMiller:thumbsup:

thekho
08-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Congralution! Looks so fantastic! So, i want to give my preset away but that's The Preset Standard Scene won't let me cos i'm using only 8.5 :(

Cheers!

benhaines
08-13-2008, 02:12 PM
Don't theko, you can upload a preset without the standard scene. I myself am still stuck on LW8.5.

Either one of the admins or somebody in the community will render you a std scene and add it to the preset.

Please don't that put you off sharing.

Take care, Ben

DBMiller
08-13-2008, 02:17 PM
Congralution! Looks so fantastic! So, i want to give my preset away but that's The Preset Standard Scene won't let me cos i'm using only 8.5 :(

Cheers!
I too only have 8.5 but I was able to play around with 9.5 today and gave the upload a shot. I created a preset I can't even use my self at home!