PDA

View Full Version : IK Booster Troubles video

bugzilla
07-17-2008, 12:40 PM
I recently purchased the Kurv studios IK Booster training, but IK Booster does not work as it should.I made this short video to show what is happening when I use IK Booster.

http://digital-sorcery.com/IKBoosterTroubles.htm

I despise rigging in Lightwave and have tried several times to get IK Booster working to no avail. Whatever solution Newtek comes up with for the 9.5 release, I hope it is something that answers the needs of character animators.

colkai
07-17-2008, 01:15 PM
Don't go holding your breath, there are no changes to rigging per se for LW9.5
Most of the new stuff, if not all, is slated for later releases as far as I can determine.
I'm sure Larry will jump in here at some point, if there is an answer to your IKB problems, rest assured, he'll likely be the man to solve 'em. :)

adamredwoods
07-17-2008, 01:25 PM
Hey Bugzilla, that was a cool "help me request" video.

Yup, you'll need Larry for this one.
My only guess is using parent bones to zero out the roptation, but I think you said you've tried that.

Plus, I feel I've encountered similar problems when playing with IKBoost.

SplineGod
07-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Bugzilla,
First thing I would say is to use the KURV support forums. Myself and others
check that on a regular basis. If I see a post like this its entirely by accident.

What is the scale of the bones? Sometimes that seems to effect IKBs IK just as it effects LWs IK. In the IKB options panel you can set the resolution of your IK.

Ive also found that the further the rig are from the origin by large amounts that accuracy can be effected. This was also a problem with standard IK and Im not sure if its been fixed or not.
And not only very far from the origin but very large scale scenes.

By and large we havent has what I would call major issues with IKB on this show. Ive had that problem once I think but when the rig was very far from the origin and the scene was
about 6 km across.

SP00
07-17-2008, 02:00 PM
If you guys feel it is a bug, I would send in a bug report. It seems more people are trying to use IKBoost thanks to Larry, but nobody has really sent in any good bug reports for IKB in the last 3 - 4 years. Lets get these bugs fixed for 9.5

SplineGod
07-17-2008, 05:07 PM
I totally agree :)
Include that scene.

Castius
07-17-2008, 05:47 PM
IKB is having trouble solving a complex situations. Those white lines are vectors. They show up when a calculation is complex and IKb is showing what it's trying to solve. With two feet pined it's trying to decide how to bend the knees. Since they should bend pretty much evenly. It can be difficult for IKB. Your hierarchy might work better with a extra root null in the center set to "move" This will tell IKB that you want that root to move regardless of the knees.

If you go to the IKB menu on the bottom right. You can turn off IK Bind. You will see that you will be able to move. But now but it will get all jacked up. IK Bind is stopping you from moving the character in a generally bad way.

I really don't recomend IKB for legs. At least not in that way. Setup regular IK or PLG IK. Use IKB to drive the goal objects.

littlewaves
07-17-2008, 06:57 PM
I think I had a similar problem and I think it might have helped when I limited the knees to bending only on pitch channels.

Still only just playing around with it myself though so this ain't expert advice or anything

Also are you on a mac? I am and coming up against a few bugs there both in 9.3 and "other versions"

SplineGod
07-17-2008, 07:07 PM
The mac seems to have more bugs Ive noticed.
We havent had any major issues from using IKB on the legs here. Nobody has mentioned anything to me and I havent really seen it either.

cresshead
07-18-2008, 02:17 AM
i built the same setup with lightwave 9.2 and got the freezing issue...but 9.31 is okay..i can move the hips up and down...so could be an old lw build problem...i'n NO expert on ikb btw!

evenflcw
07-18-2008, 06:56 AM
Larry, you never have problems with anything. I wish I had your luck.

It's VERY likely that people don't mention they are having problems if someone keeps saying

I think Castius is right in that IKB is having troubles solving the situation. I tried the exact same thing myself earlier and commented on it in another thread. It worked kinda ok the first time, but not the second or third when I wanted to recreate the scene so I could upload it. I also think some of the hack(s) Ino obviously did to get things to work the way he liked it to might be part of the cause. I've coded similar interactive plugins and I recognize this behaviour.

evenflcw
07-18-2008, 07:24 AM
The unfinished sentence was gonna read something about that people don't post about troubles they're having because they think it might user error. I'm like that myself, and I don't think others are that different.

Dirk
07-19-2008, 04:07 AM
i built the same setup with lightwave 9.2 and got the freezing issue...but 9.31 is okay..i can move the hips up and down...so could be an old lw build problem...i'n NO expert on ikb btw!

IKB was buggy in LW 9.2

prospector
07-19-2008, 04:35 AM
people don't post about troubles they're having because they think it might user error.
indeed..
I figure that if I am trying it, someone else already did and it was OK as they didn't do a write-up

RebelHill
07-19-2008, 07:57 AM
Looks to me like ur IKstopping on the wrong bones, the thigh bones (which need IK control) and also trying to rotate the pelvis in order to move it is clearly wrong... u point out the lack of fixing of the feet when using move mode... which seems to be one of IKBs let downs (slippage, that I cant seem to get round)... I just stick to standard LWIK or plgIK... easy as pie and very predictable results.