PDA

View Full Version : Sega's Animanium... what's up with this?

Doug Nicola
07-28-2003, 11:59 AM
I just saw the partners listed on the SIGGRAPH page. Then I checked out Animanium (had never heard of it).

Then my eyes got really wide. Is this some kind of new technology that's going to be worked into LW? What's the connection?

I looked at the BasicOperation and 2Characters videos. While the interface looked very un-LW, the results looked amazing.

TyVole
07-28-2003, 12:15 PM
It looks like something similar to MotionBuilder.

From what I've (not from Sega directly, though) it will work with many 3d packages and that it will cost around $2,000.

Doug Nicola
07-28-2003, 12:27 PM
Hmmm....$2000....

Well, it looked very powerful.

From what I've seen about [8] and with the NewTek SIGGRAPH setup, it looks like LW is going all out with Character Animation.

And NT mentioned more powerful IK/FK. Maybe an Animanium Lite is in the works for LW. :) We'll find out soon enough, I suppose. :)

lord
07-28-2003, 07:02 PM
Maybe an Animanium Lite is in the works for LW

Doubt it.:D

Think it's fairly clear what's going on, NT have strategic partnerships with a few complimentary companies such as eyeon and boxx, and I would say that this is the case with Animanium which is being developed by Sega.

It's possible to get a Demo version of Animanium, I've had a quick look at it myself, not much of a look really, so I can't give an opinion.

I would say that Animanium is an advanced alternative to Lightwaves animation, much the same way that Worley's G2 is an alternative to Lightwaves lighting and shading system.

Really interesting though, worth keeping an eye on.

Rich
07-28-2003, 07:19 PM
So I guess this will give the people over at pmg some competition.

lord
07-28-2003, 07:51 PM
"SEGA is pleased to have been a guiding force in the development process for Discreet 3ds max 6, including providing direction on the new schematic view feature", states Mr. Toshihiro Nagoshi, Officer of SEGA Corporation. "This close connection between SEGA and Discreet encourages us to continue using Discreet's 3ds max as a part of our game development pipeline. SEGA appreciates this strong relationship with Discreet and will continue supporting 3ds max as a user and a part of the development teams."

Interesting.

Didn't really think that PMG was that advanced really compared with the built in character animation tools of other major apps.

I felt that PMG took such a bloody long time getting released that it might have outdated itself.

lord
07-28-2003, 07:53 PM
Woops...
That was from an article on the front page of 3DFestival

the full story is here

http://www.cgnetworks.com/story.php?story_id=1453

Librarian
07-29-2003, 01:39 AM
OT but interesting

New features in 3ds max 6 will include: Included mental rayŽ rendering software; vertex colour painting
Mental Ray seems to get the standard renderer of almost all big packages. First softimage, then Maya and now Max6.
'We have the best out of the box renderer' isn`t true anymore :(.

Karmacop
07-29-2003, 02:33 AM
It seems like most of Max's big features aren't done by discrete ...

lord
07-29-2003, 07:07 PM
It seems like most of Max's big features aren't done by discrete ...

Yeah that's what I was thinking too. But I was wondering if perhaps like Maya, aside from a few tweaks here and there, Max has kind of reached a limit as far as it's potential in it's current form.
?

novadesigns
07-29-2003, 08:55 PM
Yeah I've been thinking the same thing since ver 4. Each new release has been ho-hum and redefines the term "bloatware" ;)

policarpo
07-29-2003, 10:01 PM
Man this market has to be brutal to be in. So many companies searching out our dollars and time to get in to their workflows. I am glad I am not a developer of 3D applications...but I am glad I am a user of 3D apps. I can't wait for the Photoshop equivalent of a 3D app!

We have so many cool tools to choose from, it's both a curse and a blessing.

Here's to all the great and spirited developers out there who move our spirits!!

CHEERS!!!