PDA

View Full Version : Use Morph Positions and targeting

zippitt
07-16-2008, 05:07 PM
I have an object that is using morph positions with bones. While it solves most of my problems getting the animation to conform to a path I am left with the problem of targeting lights to the object.

Hypervoxels might work, however I need to find away to turn off hypervoxels for the bones.

Lights, as far as I can tell, cannot be set to morph to bone positions. I intend on using the lights as lens flares as well as volumetric lights.

If you just target the light to the morphed object it just sits at the origin.

The only thing I have come up with so far is creating a small piece of geometry on a second layer of the object while adding an emitter to it.

I could tweak the particle so it works similar to a volumetric light, but I still would like to get some lens flares.

Surrealist.
07-17-2008, 07:00 AM
You could add hard fx dynamics and don't change any settings then calculate. If you are familiar with the edit FX tab there is a way to save out the motion of one point. You could then load that motion to a light. Do that for as many positions on the object as you need and then just offset the path to be in the center of the object. Just an idea I have not tried but read about. Maybe it will work. :)

zippitt
07-17-2008, 10:31 AM
Perfect!

I had tried this before but I could not get the results I wanted. Since you reiterated what I found in another thread I figured there must be something I was missing.

It turns out I forgot to turn off the operators, after doing so I got exactly what I needed.

Thanks!

Surrealist.
07-17-2008, 11:51 PM
Cool. But what do you mean about "turn of the operators" ? I may have to actually use this some day. :D

zippitt
07-18-2008, 09:03 AM
I had to use SoftFX instead, then I set the operators to none from the operators tab and ran calculate.

Next I used the edit tool from editfx to select the point and then selected makepath from the command drop down.

I could not get it to work using HardFX, although it's not to say that it's not possible. It looked like HardFX was calculating something against the morph.

Dodgy
07-18-2008, 10:17 AM
Yeah HFX doesn't like deformations, SFX was the way to go. You can parent items to a mesh using the Anchor plugin too. It lags behind a frame dragging the slider, but when you render it works.

Surrealist.
07-18-2008, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the additional info guys. :thumbsup: