PDA

View Full Version : Problem exporting to Quicktime

davidlsnr
07-16-2008, 02:10 AM
Hi there,

I'm trying to export a video to edit with final cut pro.
The quicktime once imported in FCP is weird, the frame rate seems to be 59,94 and the footage is half black...
Has anyone noticed something with the Quictime codec in LW?

Any Idea about how to solve this?
Can I DL the quicktime export plugin somewhere?

LW 9.3.1
FCP 6.0.4
QT 7.5

davidlsnr
07-17-2008, 04:34 AM
Help would be very appreciated !
Could it be a problem with Quicktime 7.5?

I searched on the support pages of apple, no results, I have reinstalled FCP, no result, the whole system seems crazy, quicktime sequences rated 25fps are loaded in sequences as 59,94fps... nobody noticed anything like that?

Kuzey
07-17-2008, 06:04 AM
First of all....I have no experience with FCP at all. :hey:

I was gonna say try exporting the movies from qt as image sequences and see if they import better.

But, I did a quick search and try exporting the movie from FCP with the original frame rate and re-import the newly created movie back into FCP.

Or... if you have multiple movies you are importing, make sure they are all the same type/format like "DV-NTSC" etc before doing so.

If those don't help...try:

http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=123

Best of luck,

Kuzey

avkills
07-17-2008, 08:50 PM
Render out as an image sequence and then use QuickTime Pro to convert it to the codec you will be editing with.

-mark

davidlsnr
07-18-2008, 12:40 AM
Hi there,

I'm in touch with apple support, they don't know what happens, they are testing different versions of QT...
Could the problem come from a corruption of the QT export plugin in lightwave?

Thanks for your answers, Indeed I can export to frame sequence, it works, but this workflow is a pain.

Keep you informed.
Cheers
David

toby
07-18-2008, 01:33 AM
Time to bring out the old list again =)

1. Crashes or power outages can ruin a quicktime or avi, file, forcing you to start the render from the beginning again.

2. When rendering to frames, you can stop and restart the render whenever you feel like it.

3. If one or a series of your frames renders wrong, you can go back and re-render that one frame without having to do any editing.

4. Each frame is numbered for you automatically.

5. You can import an image sequence at any frame rate you want.

6. You can inspect frames or part of your animation before it's completely rendered.

7. You can save 10, 16 or 32 bit-per-channel images

8. Different scenes / machines can render to the same animation if it's a sequence, but not if it's a movie.

The workflow may be a pain but it is MUCH safer, and consistent. Lightwave is not the best video encoding software anyway. There have been bugs with the QT exporter, yes. But bugs that affect the 3D are given priority over bugs that affect creating quicktimes.

dsol
07-23-2008, 10:51 AM
And if you have FCP studio, it automatically enables the "pro" functionality of Quicktime Player. As the chorus says, render frames (PNG or similar), "Open image sequence" in QT player, then export a quicktime movie from it. In whichever video format you're using in FCP. If you have FCP6, I heartily recommend the ProRes422 HQ codec.

munky
07-23-2008, 12:17 PM
Hi,

call me old fashioned but you should be able to import an image sequence straight into FCP without the need to make it a QT first!

I'm with the guys above. I would never render (except tests) to quicktime.I always make image sequences.

regards

Paul

dsol
07-23-2008, 12:24 PM
True - FCP is a curiously deficient program in many obvious areas. I guess it sacrifices flexibility for real-time performance. Or it's just badly designed ;)

EDIT: Though just to re-iterate - The new ProRes422 codec kicks all manner of ***

eblu
07-23-2008, 03:21 PM
its a pro codec.
FCP installs its own codecs, which do tricks, like supporting timecode, or tricks with playback speed (think 24 p camera, and how it gets onto a 29.97 tape, w/out screwing up the footage) in any case... Final cut can work with that footage just fine, but chances are nothing else can.

try re-saving it with the animation codec, or the Motion Jpeg codec.

but if your serious about using the shot in Lightwave... make an image sequence. NOT Jpeg, but Targa.