PDA

View Full Version : VT(2) Toaster CG & Windows 2000 Fonts

harpert
07-28-2003, 08:10 AM
When I checked out the fonts in Toaster CG I was surprised to see a small number of fonts there. I thought Toaster CG used the fonts in Windows 2000's fonts directory and I found alot of TrueType fonts there. Why didn't those appear in Toaster CG? I'm aware about going to the control panel and the fonts folder and installing new fonts there. Since there's no way to install new fonts from within Toaster CG, and since the numerous Windows 2000 fonts didn't show up in Toaster CG, how do I get Toaster CG to use those fonts? In other word, why didn't VT2 recognize the numerous fonts in Windows 2000's fonts directory?

Tom H.

Gordon
08-21-2003, 03:21 PM
Tom;
VT-CG does recognize installed fonts in Windows 2000. Just having the fonts in the windows fonts directory is not the same as having them installed.

When fonts are properly installed and not just copied to the fonts directory they seem to work just fine for me. I use a font program that came with the 2000 fonts on the CD to manage the fonts. Once installed they show up in VT-CG.

Keep in mind that Windoze OS really has a problem with having more than a couple hundred fonts installed at one time. Many programs choke when you have hundreds of fonts installed. My guess is that programs will read the font directory and try to cache them all to RAM for quicker access but with hundreds of fonts it becomes to much to handle.

You can also have the problem of fonts not showing up if you have run out of real memory. Try shutting down any open VT modules, restarting VT and then only VT-CG and see if the fonts show up.

harpert
08-21-2003, 08:36 PM
Gordon,

Thanks for the follow-up to my fonts problem. I tried Settings/ Control Panel/Fonts (c:\winnt\Fonts), but none of those fonts in that directory were available for use by VT(2)'s ToasterCG. I'm still confused as to what to do since I thought those fonts should have been availble for use by ToasterCG. I thought those fonts should have been available for use by ToasterCG. What Win 2000 program did you use? When I finally upgrade to VT(3) I hope my font problem goes away.

Tom H.

wvp
08-21-2003, 09:40 PM
What Gordon is saying is that you can "drag & drop" fonts into the font folder (Settings/ Control Panel/Fonts), but this is not the same as going into this folder & selecting 'add new fonts' from the file menu & selecting the fonts you want to add (from cd or whereever).
I added about 250 fonts (eek) a few weeks ago using this procedure and the VT [2] CG had no problem recognizing them.

Gordon
08-25-2003, 10:00 AM
Yea, what wvp said!

I use FontNavigator 3.0 by Bitstream. It came bundled with a CD containing 2000 fonts. The CD cost $35 and I got it from a clear out bin at a software shop. Works in WNT, W2K and WXP.

harpert
08-25-2003, 11:02 AM
Thanks guys for your replies. Since I added another 1/2 gig of RAM (1 gig total), I haven't checked to see if more fonts found in the Settings/Control Panel/Fonts folder are available for use by VT2's CG. I'll look to see if adding more memory made a difference or not. I assume VT3's CG accesses Win 2000's fonts in the same way as VT 2's CG. I didn't think there would be a difference in how you add new fonts in that directory (the 'drag and drop' method verses the 'add new fonts' method) as long as they appeared in that directory no matter how you got them there.

Tom H.

Gordon
08-25-2003, 11:45 AM
You can always try the "add new fonts" method to see if it works. :) (Instead of assuming that it wouldn't make a difference.)

bradl
09-18-2003, 09:03 PM
MS made a change a long time ago that fonts dragged to the Fonts directory automatically triggers the install routine.

Gordon
09-19-2003, 11:15 AM
Cool. It even works! (Tested on Windows 2000)

Just copy the TTF font file, (or drag and drop), to C:\WinNT\Fonts and then shut down the VT[3] Character Generator, start the Character Generator back up - voila the new fonts shows up and it works! Don't even have to exit VT[3].

Thanks Brad.

Gord

harpert
09-19-2003, 11:50 AM
Brad,

You mentioned the TTF font specifically, but of course any PS font should work. Are you saying the VT(3) CG has to be running already for the process of loading fonts for VT(3) CG so it will recognize a newly installed font? I'm in the middle of some projects so I haven't transitioned from VT(2) yet. I'm assuming the process will work with VT(2) as well. Thanks for the help.

Tom H.

Gordon
09-19-2003, 09:04 PM
Hi Tom;
Actually, I mentioned the TTF fonts. TTF seems to be the only fonts in my Windows Directory. I haven't tried installing any other font.

No VT[x] CG does NOT need to be running when you update Windows fonts but if VT-CG is running then CG will have to be shutdown and restarted. VT-CG seems to look for available system fonts when it starts up.

Gord