PDA

View Full Version : Can't See Anything...HELP!

Billybopper1
07-13-2008, 08:10 PM
:help:Hi guys, I'm trying to view video on VT vision but I see nothing. My VGA connector is hooked up to the back of the Toaster and I've got a video source playing and it's just black. I looked at my VGA module under the Control Room panel and it says Not Connected in the Network Input box. I click the down arrow next to the box and the drop down menu shows the selections Available VGA Sources, Disconnect and Disconnect from source. I select Available VGA Sources and it still says Not Connected. There's a box you can check next to it that says Underscan. I don't know what that is for. Checking the box does nothing. The rest of the boxes and knobs are ghosted. What can I do?:bangwall:

SBowie
07-14-2008, 06:30 AM
I think you may have misunderstood what the VGA module does. You do not 'connect a VGA connector to the back of the toaster' to supply a VGA source to the VGA module, and thence the Switcher. The VGA module provides access to computer displays provided across a network connection by the iVGA client, typically using an ethernet cable.

The cable connectors on the back of the VT card are for use with the special breakout cables provided with the card, and allow you to connect video from a camera or VCR, or - with the daughter card installed - for connection to the SX-84.

For a VGA source, you might wish to read over the relevant bit of the manual. It can be accessed by right-clicking the VGA panel in VT[5].

billmi
07-14-2008, 06:35 AM
:help:Hi guys, I'm trying to view video on VT vision but I see nothing. My VGA connector is hooked up to the back of the Toaster and I've got a video source playing and it's just black.

Although there are two connectors that look like VGA connectors on the back of the VT card, they are not VGA connectors. They are VT connectors, and need VT video cables for analog video sources or an SX84 breakout box connected to them, not a VGA monitor.

If you want your VT's output to go to a VGA monitor, that monitor needs to be connected to a video card (2 head video card or second video card) in your system, and the VT prefs need to be set to use that for output, instead of spanning the VT desktop onto it. This is primarily for live presentation use of the VT, so the VT output is directly available in higher resolution for the projector, without needing additional scaling.

See the VT manual for instructions on the type of cables and how to connect them.

I looked at my VGA module under the Control Room panel and it says Not Connected in the Network Input box. I click the down arrow next to the box and the drop down menu shows the selections Available VGA Sources, Disconnect and Disconnect from source. I select Available VGA Sources and it still says Not Connected. There's a box you can check next to it that says Underscan. I don't know what that is for. Checking the box does nothing. The rest of the boxes and knobs are ghosted. What can I do?:bangwall:

This is for iVGA signals being served as inputs to your VT switcher (http://www.corin.com/vt_tutorials/ivga/index.shtml) it is not for output monitor selection.

Billybopper1
07-14-2008, 09:56 AM
O.K. So the VGA module has nothing to do with my situation. Then why am I not seeing anything on VT vision? I have the pig tails cable connected to the back of the Toaster and and a video source is playing. What other explanation is there?:question:

SBowie
07-14-2008, 10:48 AM
It's a bit hard to say, not being fully aware of what you are doing. Try this:

Open 1) the Switcher, 2) a DDR and 3) a VT-Vision module. Load a video clip or image file into the DDR, and select that DDR on the Main row of the Switcher. If you have the VT-Vision set to display Program, you should see the DDR content in it.

hruffin3
07-14-2008, 02:07 PM
then you still have to select that input on the SWITCHER - either the MAIN or the PREVIEW bus - right click on a patchbay to select which camera is on which bus - Composite, or Y/C or Component - then when you open a VIDEO Monitor you should see Main on the first monitor and preview on the second monitor you open. You can select which bus the monitor is assigned to on the VIDEO Monitor.

billmi
07-14-2008, 03:07 PM
O.K. So the VGA module has nothing to do with my situation. Then why am I not seeing anything on VT vision? I have the pig tails cable connected to the back of the Toaster and and a video source is playing. What other explanation is there?:question:

Just to be crystal clear on this....

Is your problem:

1 - Video will not display on the VT-Vision / Video Monitor (what it is called depends on what version VT you are running) which is the on-screen video window on the VT desktop?

or

2 - Video will not display on the physical monitor you have connected to the VT's output?

or

3 - both?

What version of VT are you running?

Billybopper1
07-14-2008, 05:27 PM
Just to be crystal clear on this....

Is your problem:

1 - Video will not display on the VT-Vision / Video Monitor (what it is called depends on what version VT you are running) which is the on-screen video window on the VT desktop?

or

2 - Video will not display on the physical monitor you have connected to the VT's output?

or

3 - both?

What version of VT are you running?

I have VT 4 and I simply want to see the video source on VT-vision.

Jim_C
07-14-2008, 05:29 PM
I have VT 4 and I simply want to see the video source on VT-vision.

Then you are going to want to try some of the many troubleshooting steps that the kind forum members have suggested to you within this thread.

Then post back with your results.

jhogarty
07-14-2008, 08:23 PM

Can you be a little more detailed about your setup? What video source do you have connected? A video camera? What kind and are you using composite, S-Video or component? Do you happen to have a HD camera connected? I did this before and had to make sure my camera rez was dropped down to SD instead of HD.

Give us more details so we can understand better.

J.

Billybopper1
07-14-2008, 09:19 PM
It's a bit hard to say, not being fully aware of what you are doing. Try this:

Open 1) the Switcher, 2) a DDR and 3) a VT-Vision module. Load a video clip or image file into the DDR, and select that DDR on the Main row of the Switcher. If you have the VT-Vision set to display Program, you should see the DDR content in it.

I can watch video clips on the DDR. I just don't see anything that I feed through the pig-tails connector. Through any analog source such as a VCR or a DVD player I've checked composite and S-Video and have no signal at all. This hasn't happened before. I just had my computer upgraded and this is the first time I've encountered this problem. I'm just baffled!

Billybopper1
07-14-2008, 09:46 PM
I can watch video clips on the DDR. I just don't see anything that I feed through the pig-tails connector. Through any analog source such as a VCR or a DVD player I've checked composite and S-Video and have no signal at all. This hasn't happened before. I just had my computer upgraded and this is the first time I've encountered this problem. I'm just baffled!

I can't see anything in or out through the pig-tails cable. I can see video clips on VT-Vision through the Preview and KEY buss only. I see nothing on the Program Out or the Main buss.

SBowie
07-15-2008, 12:19 PM
I can't see anything in or out through the pig-tails cable. I can see video clips on VT-Vision through the Preview and KEY buss only. I see nothing on the Program Out or the Main buss.If 1) internal sources show up on VT-Vision ok, and 2) you mean that you can see (on VT-Vision) external video sources connected via the breakout cables to the back of the VT card only when that external source is selected on the Preview or Key bus .... it may be a cable connection (or cable connection order) issue.

I'm tempted to say, though, that I'd really love to see a few screengrabs of your VT desktop ... showing a connected live source selected on Main not showing up on VT-Vision, and maybe another showing a Preview row selection appearing on VT-Vision.