PDA

View Full Version : Seating area

otacon
07-13-2008, 04:44 PM
This is a scene i did for fun this weekend, based off a photo i saw. Comments welcome.

jameswillmott
07-13-2008, 05:13 PM
Stop uploading photos. :)

Great job as always...

BigHache
07-13-2008, 09:45 PM
That's an awesome render. The only thing that I can say isn't perfect is that it's a little too perfect. Which is pretty amazing to think that something isn't real because it's too perfect. Great job!

Mitja
07-14-2008, 01:34 AM
When you see a new thread posted by otacon, especially on mondays, you can be sure of two things:
-it's something made for fun;
-it's something damn good;

Have you modeled everything from scratch or have you recycled something?

Pheidian
07-14-2008, 02:41 AM
Man you should get back to Kray :) I love your Fprime stuff, but lack of tinted / coloured shadows etc basic Fprime render flaws make them look a little dull, even though the composition and mood is always top notch in your work!

:)

Iain
07-14-2008, 04:57 AM
lack of tinted / coloured shadows etc basic Fprime render flaws make them look a little dull, even though the composition and mood is always top notch in your work!

Hmmmmmm
It's completely perfect renders that I find dull.

The only thing I don't like about this is the sofa material (a bit too perfect) and the proximity of the tables to the sofa but that's probably the way a set designer would have it.

Other than that, it's very pleasing to the eye and that surely is the most important thing.

Thomas M.
07-14-2008, 07:37 AM
Cushions seem to float, sofa seems to lack a shadow on the lower seating part, textures too clean, nice mood and lighting.

otacon
07-14-2008, 12:13 PM
Thanks guys. I agree about the crits, cushion bump was too small and dissapeared when i rendered.

When you see a new thread posted by otacon,
especially on mondays, you can be sure of two things:
-it's something made for fun;
-it's something damn good;

Have you modeled everything from scratch or have you recycled something?

Thats great.:D Yeah, i made everything from scratch on this one.

Pheidian, i'll have to keep that in mind about the shadows. Although i kind of agree with Iain about making it look too perfect, like a lot of vray renders that all look the same and have no style. I may be able to get some more color in the shadows with the tonemapping in photomatix...since i render to .hdr.

Btw, here's a shot of the raw .hdr render converted to jpeg compared to the final shot. Notice how dark it is, but you can still get a lot out of the shadows with tonemapping. I wish i would have learned about all this when i was first learing lighting, because it would have saved long hours of trying to balance the light values inside of lightwave rather than in post.

sean hargreaves
07-14-2008, 03:38 PM
Is that a bare willy outside the window you naughty...naughty boy?

Wopmay
07-15-2008, 02:33 AM
Btw, here's a shot of the raw .hdr render converted to jpeg compared to the final shot. Notice how dark it is, but you can still get a lot out of the shadows with tonemapping.

Nice render. I don't suppose you'd like to elaborate on what, exactly, you mean by the above. What programs do you use for tonemapping? Do you render multiple passes and combine them? Or do you get everything from one .hdr image?

Thanks!

W

Mike Borjon
07-15-2008, 11:20 PM
Octon, you nailed it man! Great work all around.

ingo
07-16-2008, 01:25 AM
....Or do you get everything from one .hdr image? ....

Its all made with Photomatix from the dark hdr render.

http://www.hdrsoft.com/index.html

Wopmay
07-16-2008, 01:35 AM
Ahhhh. Thanks! Very cool.

AEON_3DRFX
07-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Great Renders!!! Quick question do you do your modeling in lightwave? or do u use a different modeling software?

otacon
07-21-2008, 08:30 PM
I model in lw.

gaushell
07-22-2008, 08:34 AM
Jason - looks great. To nit pick - For me the things lacking have more to do with the arrangement of the decorative items. Seems too stiff. Perhaps a flower or plant to soften things a bit. The book on the the table open bothers me the most.

But - composition and lighting are really nice.

creativecontrol
07-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Very nice. The furnature and pillows are very convincing.

Is that how the floor actually looks on the photo? It looks odd to me but maybe I'm just not up on current flooring.

The AA on highlight areas seems a bit harsh. Not sure if that can be helped or not.

Nice ballance in lighting.

StevieB
07-22-2008, 08:59 PM
Good work as always. Still waiting for the day where I can spit these out like you can. And I'll probably be waiting for a few more years ;). I'm trying to figure out what you meant about the lighting thing? Since I 'am' just learning lighting I guess if you had the time I could definetly benifit from what you were trying to get across. But *warning* you have to make sure you spell everything out or else I won't understand ;). If you find the time, that would be cool. Good work!

I would nitpick but I simply don't know how. Looks like a perfect render to me. And I don't know all the signs that would make it look 'too stiff' or crowded or perfect. All I can tell you is it looks realistic and new. :thumbsup:

yolao
07-23-2008, 06:43 AM
amazing work

KurtF
07-24-2008, 11:57 PM
Very nice, but I didn't like the carpet texture. The last still of the ship and the lamp looks very much like an actual photo. Very subtle depth of field.

cybernaut
07-30-2008, 04:23 PM
amazing stuff!!!

your crazy with those lights, i'm still a noob when it comes to lighting, no where near that good.

that side to side comparison showing the before hdr and after post image is very interesting. would you be able to post some more before and afters like that. i'm trying to play a bit with photomatix now myself and would like to get such high quality results.

do you light with just and hdr because of your large windows or do you sometimes use the occasional area light out side a small window or behind the camera to get rid of really black areas?

zapper1998
08-02-2008, 06:54 AM
Totally amazing renders,
just need a teeny weeny amount of dust, just a few specs here and there...
Looks like a picture not a render .. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

kopperdrake
08-10-2008, 05:11 PM
Lovely work :) I don't suppose you'd care to share your furniture fabric technique (he asks rather cheekily :) ).