PDA

View Full Version : walk cycle. urgent help

jigglywigglybum
07-13-2008, 09:03 AM
I am re-sitting an assessment for my degree and this is my final chance. I am trying to create a walk cycle with 20 steps. I've tried loads of tutorials but I still can't get the hang of it. I really need to pass so any advice would be great.

SplineGod
07-13-2008, 10:09 AM
Use this as a reference. You dont need 20 steps to produce a decent cycle.
http://engr.smu.edu/~alcantara/walkcycle/walkcycle.html
http://education.mit.edu/starlogo-tng/shapes-tutorial/walkcycle03.jpg

jigglywigglybum
07-15-2008, 12:11 PM
ok thanks that was really good but are you able to give me some advice on using the graph editor to make my walk cycle repeat? also, I can't get my arms to bend properly. Think it is my weight maps? Any idea? I'm really not very good with Lightwave so I'm trying my best but struggling so badly.

SplineGod
07-15-2008, 01:42 PM
How are you animating? FK, IK ?

UnCommonGrafx
07-15-2008, 01:55 PM
I'm just curious...
What are YOU trying to accomplish with this? Is this something you set out as a task or what they gave you?
What have you studied prior to doing this study? Are you more comfortable with another piece of software?

I find your post... peculiar. ;) It's the degree part and this being your last chance...

Share a movie of what you do have; that'll help you to hone things. My biggest problem getting the hang of it is believing that I have to start all over, you know, don't fully take advantage of the save function? ;) Sounds weird but if you've done it you get it and being aware of it helps immensely.

See, if you come back to the same animation 20 times and can't get it right then you get another 20 shots at the best you had. Or so I like to look at it.

Practice makes perfect. No getting around it. But you have to practice right. Studies help.

Ramble ramble ramble... I'm going to do my homework.

jigglywigglybum
07-15-2008, 02:30 PM
ok I will explain more. I am sitting my degree in Computer Animation and I failed first time round(failed 1 module out of 8, sucks!). Give me a Flash project to do and I have no problems, but Lightwave I just cannot get the hang of. So for my re-sit assessment I have to do character animation. The simplest task is a walk cycle of 20 steps but then I have to make my character walk up steps and jump off the edge. Oh I have to do a lip-synch too but I'm strangely not bad at that :P lol.

UnCommonGrafx
07-15-2008, 03:13 PM
The simplest task...

heheh...

I think it is if you get out of your way and just do it. Do you mean a walk cycle IN 20 steps, as in that's a scholarly limit? All of what Larry posted ought to get you there.

Somewhere, this one is available; I didn't try at the following link but you might since it's all lw:
http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=448&page=

Edit: for this particular one, the link I found is not available from Newtek. Or, I couldn't find it.

jigglywigglybum
07-16-2008, 02:57 AM
Here is what I have to do:

In this assessment you will be assessed on your ability to realistically animate a character.
The character should complete all of the following tasks, in any order (indicated marks for each task in brackets at the end of the descriptions are to give a rough idea of the task value to the overall mark):

i) Walk realistically for around 18-22 steps in one direction (8).
ii) Walk up three stairs, Jump from the top step and land on the ground,
demonstrating weight and force (14).
iii) Bend and push an apparently heavy object along the floor (12).
iv) Appear startled by something. The model should also show some expression
on the face and should recover from the surprise (12).
v) Lipsynch approximately 4 seconds of speech (10)

So I have my walk cycle. I know I need to use the graph editor to tweek it and make it repeat. Just dont know how to do it.

adamredwoods
07-16-2008, 11:31 AM
So I have my walk cycle. I know I need to use the graph editor to tweek it and make it repeat. Just dont know how to do it.

Depends on your rig. Are you using null controls? Are you animating directly onto the bones? Are you using IKBoost?

To make something repeat, I'd use the motion modifier Cycler (or something). Apply it to every bone or null controller to repeat.

In Graph editor, you'd have to select _every channel_ (XYZ, HPB = 6 channels) and key POST BEHAVIOR set to repeat.

You can also use IKBoost to copy poses.

The most advanced option would be Motion Mixer. Advanced, mind you.

archijam
07-16-2008, 02:33 PM
walk setup:
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/Walk.mov

and cyclist intro:
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/cyclist.mov

or with ik boost:
http://ikboost.com/learn/time-lapse-walk-animation/

jigglywigglybum
07-18-2008, 03:33 PM
mhuh that makes it repeat but it needs to move along each time as well

jigglywigglybum