PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with LW dynamics - Explosion

tonygardner
07-13-2008, 05:42 AM
Whilst browsing through the mess that is my hard drive I came across a video that I must have downloaded at some point. The video shows a LW scene with a particle explosion taking place, here is a screenie from the vid...

It looked familiar to me and so after a bit of hunting around I found this video by David Ridlen on the Newtek site...

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/gall...&g2_itemId=200

...which I am pretty sure is the same explosion.

I would really like to try and replicate this shot but I'm afraid my limited knowledge of LW dynamics is hampering me.

When I watch the vid I can see a blue ring drawn in the middle of the 'mushroom head' of the explosion, and the particles in that part of the effect seem to be rolling round it, the only thing I can find that will produce that effect is the doughnut wind but it doesn't look like a blue ring in layout.

Secondly the 'stalk' of the cloud appears to follow the blue sphere surrounded by a cross, I'd love to know what that is as I can't find anything that looks like it in layout either.

Any pointers you guys could give would make me a very happy camper as I have been messing with this for ages with no success.

Dodgy
07-13-2008, 10:22 AM
The video link doesn't work for me.....

Orimar
07-13-2008, 01:19 PM
Dodgy:

You can find it here:

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=200

.O.

prometheus
07-17-2008, 09:07 AM
[QUOTEWhen I watch the vid I can see a blue ring drawn in the middle of the 'mushroom head' of the explosion, and the particles in that part of the effect seem to be rolling round it, the only thing I can find that will produce that effect is the doughnut wind but it doesn't look like a blue ring in layout.

Secondly the 'stalk' of the cloud appears to follow the blue sphere surrounded by a cross, I'd love to know what that is as I can't find anything that looks like it in layout either.
.[/QUOTE]

Well the cross around the blue sphere is most certainly the outline display of the dynamic wind , and I believe thatīs a vortex wind. you will be able to see and change that in the winds etc tab there you can set display mode to outline and details and outline, and in the vector tab..by changing the turbulence x and y size you can see how that cross will change.

also try play with the etc tabs grid resolution, I think itīs at 8 by default, change it to something around 23,23,23. that will give a preview on how the wind vector will behave, be sure to set the mode to details or details&outline.

Michael