PDA

View Full Version : Current cost of card upgrade?

Jim_C
07-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Hello,

What is the current retail cost of trading in a non VTPro card for a VTPro card?
How would it work if one already has VT5 software?
Is there such a thing as a card only trade?

Thanks
Jim

chuckd
07-14-2008, 08:14 PM
$1995 according to the NewTek website. I don't know if you can just swap the cards out without the VT complaining. It's possible but I think an uninstall/reinstall would be a good idea.

Jim_C
07-14-2008, 08:28 PM
$1995 according to the NewTek website.

They have a website? I thought they only had a forum? ;)
Thanks a bunch Chuck!
More proof that maybe a need to browse the NT web pages now and then before yammering away like a know it all here in forum land.

My little personal side business thing is picking up and I may be investing in a full live rig soon.
Trying to figure out if I should update the VT card and add an SX-84 or go for a TC of some kind.

Thanks again.

chuckd
07-14-2008, 08:39 PM
The TC vs. VT issue is primarily one of cost vs. features. Although, as an aside, there are dealers who can drop a VT into a shuttle pc box cheaper than you can get a TC.

Jim_C
07-14-2008, 09:29 PM
Yea, with having a VT card already and a nice mini tower quad to put it in, I could actually get a VTPro card and an SX-84 for much less than the TC.

Upsides,
The extra features of VT (although compared to the TC studio are not much)
The abilility to safely add extra software.
Upgrade parts as needed,
more-??

Downsides
The complete portability of a TC can't be beat.
and ummm well that's about the only downside I can think of.
Unless the TC studio has some options the VT5 Pro doesn't.

I am still 6-12 months away from the funding so this is VERY early planning.

ScorpioProd
07-14-2008, 10:47 PM
Well, since it isn't something you need immediately, Jim...

You might want to drop Bob Tasa an e-mail and see if some of his stuff could help you out...

He's a perfectionist, so he didn't launch what he had planned to at NAB, but drop him a note...