PDA

View Full Version : Why do my trees from Vue have square leaves

over my head
07-11-2008, 03:43 PM
I have been trying for a while to import trees from Vue. When I import my tree the leaves display as square polygons. I have tried just a small tropic from vue and same thing happen. I have tried on a friends new computer same thing with Vue xStream I finally tried a downloaded tree from Xfrogplants. I don't know if lightwave has a setting that I should change or if I am just doing something wrong. Any help would be appreciated

archijam
07-11-2008, 03:49 PM
xfrog trees always have square leaves, ie. 1 quad.

they are UV mapped, so the leaves, when applied as UV texture, are correctly scaled and oriented. you then need to apply the alpha (black and white image) also as a UV map, either to the transparency channel of the leaf texture, or in layout as a (UV) clip map.

crashnburn
07-12-2008, 12:01 AM
Whats you ray recursion limit set to? I found that VUE trees needed this to be set quite high, around 10 or so to remove the square edges.

serge
07-12-2008, 07:52 AM
... I found that VUE trees needed this to be set quite high, around 10 or so to remove the square edges.
That depends on how many leaves there are behind the first leaf. That's how I understand Ray Recursion. A ray reaches the leaf and returns the info of the surface. If the RRL is set to one it won't pass through, so there won't be any info from the next leaf. If you set the RRL to two, then it will pass through and reach the second leaf (but not the third leaf).
Now, in case you have a dense forest even a maximum RRL of 24 might not be enough.

over my head
07-12-2008, 02:21 PM
xfrog trees always have square leaves, ie. 1 quad.

they are UV mapped, so the leaves, when applied as UV texture, are correctly scaled and oriented. you then need to apply the alpha (black and white image) also as a UV map, either to the transparency channel of the leaf texture, or in layout as a (UV) clip map.

That was my problem. I was not adding the alpha to the transparency channel. Thank you! :thumbsup:

archijam
07-12-2008, 02:28 PM
No probs. I am sorry it took so long after you posted to answer..

6 minutes .. Just noticed ;)

*i spend too much time here*

Note - when using ray tracing or GI, the clip map option can save a lot of render time, depending on the number of objects etc. - it is far less work than the transparency map. Depends on the scene, I find.

over my head
07-13-2008, 01:49 PM
I had to look that one up but it makes sense. Thanks again.