PDA

View Full Version : newtek...stick with 1 install tree

cresshead
07-11-2008, 02:28 PM
newtek...stick with 1 install tree:cursin:

i've been trying to get ifw2 installed on lightwave and just get errors...i'm thinking this is down to where the dir's are located...some bits work others give errors like the presets...

you make it near impossible for an 'installer' to be created because with each release you go n change where things go....

makes me quite annoyed i can tell you as i NEED to install ifw2 on a lightwave 7.5 install to be compatible with a usa studio and also my 9..31 install

drat drat and double drat!:bangwall:

cresshead
07-11-2008, 03:01 PM
so where do the ifw settings files go?

ahh i've had enough of this crap tonight...feels like i;ve gone thru a timewarp back to the 90's and have to manually place files...

no thanks,.....wasted $89

gee DO NOT keep on messing with placment of files you making plugin developers and their customers jump though hoops to what shoudl be a click>lightwave installed into a
long drawn out mess.

zapper1998
07-11-2008, 03:42 PM
I put the IFW2 Settings folder in with the Presets, there really is no place to put em.
I also install the IFW2 plugs, manually, I have a shared folder, on my network that has all my 3rd Party Plugs, so I just point LW to that folder when loading plugs, that way I keep the Original Install clear of 3rd Party stuff..

cresshead
07-11-2008, 03:44 PM
okay got lw 7.5 version running finally after creating folders by hand and re starting lw a couple of times so it remembers what plugins i actually added....

i keep forgetting how annoying lw can be in this regard..the hypervoxel presets didn't show up even when i followed creating the same dir tree as in the pdf...but after manually loading a couple of presets with the load button and re booting lw it seems to ahve remembered....

lw 9 tomorrow!...oh the joy of installing!....not!

zapper1998
07-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Screen shot of Content Folder on Network Drive..
IFW2 Folder with all the IFW2 stuff.
Found it easier to put all the Settings in a folder in the Content Folder
Same for DarkSim also.
Yep Have the Same Headache as you when it comes to IFW2 And DarkSim

Michael

cresshead
07-11-2008, 03:51 PM
I put the IFW2 Settings folder in with the Presets, there really is no place to put em.
I also install the IFW2 plugs, manually, I have a shared folder, on my network that has all my 3rd Party Plugs, so I just point LW to that folder when loading plugs, that way I keep the Original Install clear of 3rd Party stuff..

thanks!...yeah i juist dumped them in the ifw2 folder i made...just seems so sloppy way of organising an app.:thumbsdow

well they work so far and look like they will be great for some fast surface presets...i reckon the developer of these plugs must get a load of emails asking how to install in lightwave 5,67,8 and 9....and all seem to be different!:twak:

....now to calm down abit i'll watch some ds9 dvd's!:thumbsup:

cresshead
07-11-2008, 03:57 PM
thanks for the screen grab...i hope the lw 9 install goes a bit better tomorrow...though i have to install nodal as well as the normal surfaces!

once they're done...i can start work on some space scenes that need surfacing!

shadersrjj
07-12-2008, 02:43 AM
There is an installation video showing how and where things got for IFW2 Textures and IFW2 Nodal is pretty much the same. This can be found at:

http://www.ifw2.com/ifw2_install/ifw2_install.html

The reason the installation is like this is that it has been impossible to keep up with where things go across several platforms.

RJJ

cresshead
07-12-2008, 03:15 AM
yeah i hope newtek ''keep what they have'', would make installing much simpler for people if they didn;t keep messing about with where things are put and for yourself supporting frustrated users of plugins...

i have ifw2 installed in 7.5 and all now appears to be working. ill sort out my 9.3 install later on today.

have to say once it's installed and working it looks really cool from what i've seen so far.

oh and his plugins are on offer currently..go get 'em!....
here's a page on installing ifw2 plugins>>
http://www.shaders.co.uk/ifw2_textures/install.htm

http://www.shaders.co.uk/

http://www.shaders.co.uk/ifw2_textures/new_main_index.jpg