PDA

View Full Version : Evenly spacing points along polygon

Gary Wales
07-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Hi fellow Wavers.

There is probably a very simple solution, but I simply cannot see it:

I'm aware of a LScript that will evenly space points along a U or V edge for UV mapping. However, is there tool/script for evenly distributing points along a polygon edge?

I want to ensure that the polygon widths are all the same on this curve by obviously averaging out the points along the edge (not for mapping)...

Thanks for your help!

xchrisx
07-11-2008, 11:57 AM
at the moment the only way i can think of checking the distances for the curve is to create a box around the object in a background layer, and using Rounder on the corner (Round Only: Edge mode) and try to match the shape because rounder spaces points evenly around the curve. i would really be interested if anyone has a better solution, as this would be helpful.

Surrealist.
07-11-2008, 07:15 PM
There is a free plugin called dedgelside I believe. Search for it there is a link to it here or on flay. You would have to slide each one individually.

There is a tool in Lw called Segment Scale. You would select a top and bottom edge and interactively scale them. Another tedious solution.

A better solution would be to recreate it in the background with Bezier spline and set the number of points in the same number of segments. (for a simple curve like that you could approximate it with the handles alone and not touch the points) Then extrude the curve. This will give an even set of segments.

Another solution would be to take the points along the top, create a curve and then make a two point poly out of one segment. Use that in the FG to rail extrude based on the BG curve and choose an option that makes even segments.

Either solution is going to change the shape slightly as you are changing the position of the control points (segments)

In the future, make this a plan when you start creating it.

Hope this gives yo some ideas. :)

Gary Wales
07-14-2008, 02:35 AM
Thanks for your kind help guys.

The rail extrude a 2-point poly worked perfectly, and indeed, when 'you know how', it seems such a simple solution I should have seen!

Thanks again

Surrealist.
07-14-2008, 06:28 AM
Indeed. Stuff like this is how you learn. So many tools so many options. It has to connect to real world situations for it all to start to click. Glad you found something that worked. :)