PDA

View Full Version : Where are the faces?

Plexxxy
07-27-2003, 11:12 PM
Hello all. I've had LW 7.5 for a week and I'm loving it. However, on my first attempt at modelling, I've run into a bit of a problem. I decided to model a logo. First, I went ahead and used the pen tool to create the straight areas of the logo, followed with the 'Make [open] curve' tool. The outline turned out great, but when I extruded, the model only had faces on the side but none on the top. I've tried 'points to polys', 'skin' (that sort of worked), and a few others to no avail. Any help is appreaciated. Thanks!

basbrouwers
07-28-2003, 02:00 AM
in the surface editor select the surface of your logo and turn on double sided.

Bas

freedik
07-28-2003, 03:02 AM
It looks like you are extruding curves. First you have to Freeze (construct->convert->freeze) your curves, then they become "real" polys with some area. Then extrude. Might need some flipping. Use doublesided surfaces only when nescessary, otherwise flip and align polys, takes less time rendering.

I haven't used curves myself so there may be some simpler ways to do it. I just tried this way and it worked.

Plexxxy
07-28-2003, 03:23 AM
Aha, worked! Kudos, my friend. I did have some flipped polys, but they were easy enough to take care of. Thanks!

Plexxxy
07-28-2003, 12:19 PM
After looking at some of the tips on Suture.com, I figured out an even easier way of getting the results I was looking for; the drill tool. I just drew a box in in a new layer, put the logo the background, and then 'tunneled' with the the drill tool on the y-axis. After that I just delete the excess polys and extrude...same results. :D