PDA

View Full Version : Billion Colour Monitor?

crashnburn
07-10-2008, 06:33 PM
Hi

Has anyone seen the new HP DreamColor LP2480zx Professional Display. If my display card can only manage 16.7million possible colours, where are the other 983.3million possibilities going to come from? I'm just wondering what real world benefit it will be over a conventional LCD monitor.

Thanks

Lightwolf
07-10-2008, 06:44 PM
I would suppose that it applies a LUT or other form of colour correction on incoming signal. So it can display your 24bit image in a wider choice of colours.

If I remember correctly, some Matrox cards also supported 10-bit per component output, I'd have to check to see if that is a part of the DVI/DisplayPort spec, it might be.

But basically, it gives you more headroom to calibrate.

Cheers,
Mike

ingo
07-11-2008, 03:06 AM
Looks interesting, indeed. Its a 10Bit panel with LED backlight that should deliver brilliant colors, but for 2800 one can expect that.

lilrayray77
07-11-2008, 10:39 AM
Are our eyes even capable of distinguishing that many colors? cool nonetheless.

Lightwolf
07-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Are our eyes even capable of distinguishing that many colors? cool nonetheless.
In context? At least 24bit... and then add a bit (well, 6 bits ;) ) to get them to match properly with your reference.

Cheers,
Mike

The Dommo
07-11-2008, 12:38 PM
I think some ATI (ewww) cards can output 10bit...

However, you can get nVidia cards with SDI output, which can handle 10bit per channel and more, as a spec, as used when playing out to Digibeta decks.

crashnburn
07-11-2008, 07:12 PM
But are they broadening the range of possible colours, so more into HDRI territory, or is the range going to remain the same with more possible colours within that same range.

jin choung
07-11-2008, 11:50 PM
all the stuff i read about these things seems to be about these monitors offering hdr output... so it seems tied to the ability to display hdr content with greater dynamic range and whiter white blacker black....

personally though, i'm kinda leery of monitors that can really approach the illumination possibilities of "real life"... if it has the ability to burn out my retinas when showing superwhite, i'd rather stick with a regular monitor!

when i used to shoot video for our high school news show, i always kinda marveled that i can aim a video camera at bright light sources (even sweep the sun) and have no discomfort or injury (though i was always careful to avoid that when shooting with a reflex lens camera or [!!!binoculars!!!])... i really wouldn't want that effect removed!

(also a reason that i find people in movies screaming when a light is shined into their night vision goggles hilarious... hello? doesn't work like that... hello?)

jin

sammael
07-12-2008, 12:02 AM
I think some ATI (ewww) cards can output 10bit...

Nothing wrong with ATI cards mate, the newest generation seem to give NVIDIA cards a bit more competition in terms of both and price and performance. Out of the two NVIDIA's marketing seems a bit criminal to me, I'm glad ATI is back on track so I wont have to buy NVIDIA again for a while, each new generation of NVIDIA cards seems to be obsolete on a weekly basis of late.

jin choung
07-12-2008, 01:49 AM
yup... nvidia's in for a WORLD of hurt in the coming months... their big manufacturing debacle (lots of their components in hp, apple, even desktop cards) is taking them down for a while... if not out. check out their stock price drop over the last week! geez.

the crown was theirs to lose and they lost it... for now. but they'll be back.

and the new ati cards are extremely good (compares favorably to nvidia's best [finally!]) and a great value.

some people like picking teams. i like setting the teams against each other. nothing like a little red harvest, yojimbo, fistfull of dollars action. set the titans against each other and just be in it for yourself.

fight fight fight and let competition breed CHEAP PRICES and innovation! all for silas all for silas! muahahahaha....

jin