PDA

View Full Version : Preview & Effects to external monitors

MysterioMask
07-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Does anyone know if you can have preview and effects channel both coming out to an external monitor at the same time or must you choose between one or the other?

SBowie
07-10-2008, 12:09 PM
There's only one Preview Out, so it's one or the other in Preferences .... though -- that said ... hmmmm: you could create a 'multiplexer' LiveSet that split the screen to display the FX row and Preview row (and DSK) selections, and assign it to a Preview source.

It would be complicated to switch to Preview from Main then though. You'd probably want to have two sets in the quad selector for that set - the triplet view and an "off" view. Then you could click the Off view in the quad selector before performing a Main<>Preview swap.

There may be some way to do something similar using some of Bob Tasa's goodies too - not sure.

MysterioMask
07-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Its not needed that badly, i was just thinking if there was a quick easy way like to be able to make the genlock or something accept the effects row, then it would be worth it but other than a quick fix like that i really dont want to get into anything complicated, as having an external effects row monitor would be little more than an indulgence.

But if you or anyone do know of a quick fix id gladly accept it :-)

mhenstell
07-10-2008, 11:42 PM
An effects bus output AND a preview bus output is almost a requirement for anyone trying to do instant replays with the timewarp... too bad it's not possible at the moment.

SBowie
07-11-2008, 06:52 AM
An effects bus output AND a preview bus output is almost a requirement for anyone trying to do instant replays with the timewarp... too bad it's not possible at the moment.I'd be sincerely grateful if you would explain the importance of the two concurrent previews in your replay setting.

mhenstell
07-11-2008, 09:57 PM
It's just that, the current hardware/software is only capable of recording into a DDR from Program or Effects (or preview? I forgot, I've been away from my VT for a while) instead of a dedicated input. So, at least the way we've been doing it / planning on doing it with the TimeWarp, is that we have a TD with the RS8 doing the preview/program thing, and another guy with the TimeWarp jumping around the effects bus to get the camera closest to the action (in our case, a hockey puck). It seems to me like the VT / TriCaster line is geared more towards using the PC monitors in place of prev/pgm monitors, but I find this a little difficult to lug everywhere for our remote shoots, and the refresh rates are eye-straining. I guess we'll have to use a PC monitor running a video screen with the effects bus for our replay guy, but our TDs definitely prefer dedicated prev/pgm monitors for switching.

Even nicer would be the ability to pull in two dedicated channels for recording, separate from the prev/pgm and effects busses, so that the reply guy wouldn't have to worry about switching his bus while also working the replays. This isn't possible with any of the third party solutions, is it? Even two dedicated replay ingest channels would be great, and work great with the TimeWarp.

SBowie
07-12-2008, 11:39 AM
It's just that, the current hardware/software is only capable of recording into a DDR from Program or Effects (or preview? I forgot, I've been away from my VT for a while) instead of a dedicated input. That's correct - for both VT[5] and TC. Preview is not an optional replay capture source.

Specifically, Timewarp controls in/out marking of replay clips from one of those two sources. That said, if your hdwe. is up to the challenge you are still free to use VT's native DDR Capture to record a separate stream to another DDR, from any of the usual long list of sources. That's asking a lot of the system, of course. And this is only true for VT, not TC. (Managing the independent captures and DDR control would require some fancy juggling, too.)

I had misunderstood your remark ("An effects bus output AND a preview bus output is almost a requirement for anyone trying to do instant replays with the timewarp...") to be referring to the extra video monitoring output available on VT[5] and TC Broadcast - not capture.

So, at least the way we've been doing it / planning on doing it with the TimeWarp, is that we have a TD with the RS8 doing the preview/program thing, and another guy with the TimeWarp jumping around the effects bus to get the camera closest to the action (in our case, a hockey puck).I can see that. Ideally, of course, both the switcher operator and the guy on the TimeWarp would be able to preview all incoming sources at all times - but that would take an external monitoring solution with pass-throughs.

It seems to me like the VT / TriCaster line is geared more towards using the PC monitors in place of prev/pgm monitors, but I find this a little difficult to lug everywhere for our remote shoots, and the refresh rates are eye-straining. I guess we'll have to use a PC monitor running a video screen with the effects bus for our replay guy, but our TDs definitely prefer dedicated prev/pgm monitors for switching.I don't think I'm entirely in tune with your thinking here. You need a "PC Monitor" simply to control the VT, of course, so 'lugging' that is mandatory. Apart from that, you can consider upstream or downstream monitoring. The former is more flexible, since you could really have a monitor with pass-through for every source - but the expense has to be considered. On the downstream side, you're pretty much limited to program plus either effects or preview row streams.

Even nicer would be the ability to pull in two dedicated channels for recording, separate from the prev/pgm and effects busses, so that the reply guy wouldn't have to worry about switching his bus while also working the replays. This isn't possible with any of the third party solutions, is it? Even two dedicated replay ingest channels would be great, and work great with the TimeWarp.TimeWarp is a great extension of existing tech to provide a solution, but you're talking about something grander in conception. Hold that thought. :)

mhenstell
07-13-2008, 01:05 AM
I don't think I'm entirely in tune with your thinking here. You need a "PC Monitor" simply to control the VT, of course, so 'lugging' that is mandatory. Apart from that, you can consider upstream or downstream monitoring. The former is more flexible, since you could really have a monitor with pass-through for every source - but the expense has to be considered. On the downstream side, you're pretty much limited to program plus either effects or preview row streams.

Of course lugging the PC monitor(s) is required, it's just a pain in a mobile situation, so the more things we can offload to dedicated rackmount LCDs, the better. Last year, we were lugging a freestanding 22" LCD around (not good for the LCD!). This year, our options are one of those ~$1000 rack pull-out monitors for server rooms, or a rack mounted 17" in an 8U case. Neither option is exactly ideal for our budget or mobility, but I'm just a complainer who likes his monitors and switchers dedicated :) Although I was the one who bought our VT, and it does suit our purposes nicely, especially since I moved it into a shuttle PC. I just wish I had the time to figure out how to make a DVE with our logo!