PDA

View Full Version : Modelling!

sean hargreaves
07-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Ok guys, I'm in a nightmare, moreso than the usual daily one......

Please look at the model I have attached. I'm attempting to make a futuristic bus. I have no wheels or wheelwells yet, just the bus shape. Its just polygon hell, and I have triangles as well. I hate them. Its a bit of a mees and I can't figure out how to clean it up.

Surrealist could help here, or someone, is this a sub-patch situation.

Any help would...er.................help! :thumbsup:

sean hargreaves
07-09-2008, 09:15 PM
Why the crap isnt my bus file attaching? Its .obj

Oh the pain...........

sean hargreaves
07-09-2008, 09:16 PM
I'm gonna start smashing things up in a minute like..........pencils, and......paper...!!!

sean hargreaves
07-09-2008, 09:22 PM
Pleeeaaassseeeee................

sean hargreaves
07-09-2008, 09:23 PM
I'm goiing to kill that bus................and then smash it............

sean hargreaves
07-09-2008, 09:24 PM
Attaaaaccccccchhhhhhhhhh damn you!!!!!

sean hargreaves
07-09-2008, 09:26 PM
Ok, sod it, I frame captured it instead. I know, I know, it looks like an elephant, but it wont in the end once I fix the little bugger.

Please kind geniuses, full of patience and skill, help me............

MooseDog
07-09-2008, 09:26 PM
Valid file extensions: bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg mov pdf png psd rar swf txt zip :help:

sean hargreaves
07-09-2008, 09:29 PM
Oh yeah, I just noticed that. Great. I mean, why would I possibly think that an .obj file would attach on a GENERAL SUPPORT thread.

I'm living in a parallel universe, I have to be........

Now....Moosedog..........any tips.......??????

sean hargreaves
07-09-2008, 09:48 PM
Also, where is 'Spline Patch' ?

Surrealist.
07-09-2008, 09:57 PM
It looks like you have some duplicate geometry there. Are you sure you have not accidentally pasted the object onto itself?

I helped out with a similar object over on this thread (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83878&page=8). Take a look at what I did and see if you can get some ideas.

And I can not honestly recommend spline patch for what you are doing but you'll find it in the Construct Tab under Patches.

sean hargreaves
07-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Richard, when I chose auto patch it says I need to choose 3 or more curves. I did, and it keeps telling me the same thing.

I hit the edges button, then chose the curves.......

Whats happening?

sean hargreaves
07-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Also, 'Pach' is'nt highlighted, so I can't choose it.......uuuuuuggghhhh!

Surrealist.
07-09-2008, 10:18 PM
Create at least three curves and connect (weld) them head to toe. Make sure that are all facing in the same direction - well that is redundant. Select them in order - the direction you select them will affect the outcome. Then hit the patch button, change your settings to your liking.

sean hargreaves
07-09-2008, 10:35 PM
I dont understand.

I made 2 spline curves side by side with 4 points each. Then I created a cross connection between the points, so it now looks like an arc with no polygons.

It keeps telling me I'm not choosing the curves, but I am. I choose them with the edge tool. I choose them in a clockwise manner.

Surrealist.
07-10-2008, 12:07 AM
Select them with the Polygon selection mode. Make sure they are closed, connected, that is merged, welded or whatever yo have to do to make the first point of one curve the last point of the previous. You can flip curves with the flip command, (f) when you select one in poly select mode. Curves are not edges. They are treated like polygons each one.

sean hargreaves
07-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Thanks Surrealist, I'm also watching your tutorial on subpatch modelling, Although I cant find band saw pro.

S

BigHache
07-11-2008, 07:01 PM
I cant find band saw pro.

It's in the Multiply tab under Subdivide