PDA

View Full Version : Name-Dropping: What Does Nero Call Their Packet-Writing Applet?

FinalCutToast!
07-09-2008, 10:46 AM
Cool - you'd have wanted that off anyway, it's pretty annoying.Speaking of things you'd want off; About to install Nero 7 Essentials which came with the optical drive in this PC, but don't know the name of the Nero component to leave off the install process.

While CD-Now is a small app that these forums say you should not at all install on a VT system, what is the name of the file-packeting software that ships with Nero that would terrorize VT operations? :devil:

FinalX

Jim_C
07-09-2008, 11:02 AM
While CD-Now is a small app that these forums say you should not at all install on a VT system, what is the name of the file-packeting software that ships with Nero that would terrorize VT operations?

'InCD' it is currently at version 5.

There are a couple other things to turn off and kill after installing a newer Nero version.

First is to enter the Adminstrative Tools->Sevices and set NMIndexing to disable. This is Nero's version of Windows indexing service.

Second is to go Start-Run-> and execute regsvr32 /u "%COMMONPROGRAMFILES%\Ahead\Lib\MediaLibraryNSE.dll"
this turns off the Nero Scout service which is some kind of monitoring database service.

If all you need from Nero is burning capabilites. Just install 'Nero Burning ROM'. that's all that is required for full burning functionality.

FinalCutToast!
07-09-2008, 06:12 PM
'InCD' it is currently at version 5.

There are a couple other things to turn off and kill after installing a newer Nero version.

First is to enter the Adminstrative Tools->Sevices and set NMIndexing to disable. This is Nero's version of Windows indexing service.

Second is to go Start-Run-> and execute regsvr32 /u "%COMMONPROGRAMFILES%\Ahead\Lib\MediaLibraryNSE.dll"
this turns off the Nero Scout service which is some kind of monitoring database service.

If all you need from Nero is burning capabilites. Just install 'Nero Burning ROM'. that's all that is required for full burning functionality.Excellent response, Jim. Thanks! Does the edit of registry as you have noted above involve Windows XP Pro as well as Windows Vista, or aren't you sure about Vista in that regard?

Nero Essentials 7 disc won't show me the presence of Nero Burning ROM in the list of items about to be installed, if I press the NEXT button.

Worse, the disc itself has the InCD packet-writing app you warned about silkscreened on it, but it is absolutely hidden from view, in the list of programs to be installed - so I can't de-select it!

OK. Anybody got a suggestion what to purchase or what to download freely, to address most any burning, copying and ripping need? Sure would love to hear it. Oh, Jim? where might I find InCD, so I can remove it, should I decide to courageously hit the NEXT button on the install dialogue?

Marty01
07-09-2008, 07:29 PM
If I remember correctly, you should be able to do a custom install and de-select the InCD part.

Marty

ted
07-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Don't you hate software that does more than what you bought it for? And doesn't make it easy to turn off the bloatware. :thumbsdow

FinalCutToast!
07-09-2008, 09:16 PM
If I remember correctly, you should be able to do a custom install and de-select the InCD part.

Marty
Not on the stinkin' Nero Essentials 7 (that shipped as an OEM software CD for the optical disc drive in this new PC), Marty. For shame!

It's OK. Thanks to Jim C's cautions, and Steve Bowie's suggestion, I went online, downloaded the latest version of Foobar2000 instead of messin' with Nero's shennanigans.

I went here: www.Filehippo.com/ (http://www.Filehippo.com) Nice finds there, plus, File hippo's new Update Manager is ooh-allsome!

Don't you hate software that does more than what you bought it for? And doesn't make it easy to turn off the bloatware. :thumbsdow

Ted, as for the bloatware, and the difficulty getting rid of it, you're so-ooo right. All I wanted to do was rip a CD, for cryin' out loud! :oye:
I've got it taken care of, thanks to Foobar.

Hopper
07-09-2008, 09:22 PM
The entire Nero 7 package is a virus... It took me no less than 5 minutes to figure out just how useless that POS is. Half of the features don't work. Hell, the drives that Nero is packaged WITH, don't even work with the software correctly - especially HP and LightScribe drives.

I would suggest flinging it down the street or using the it as a coaster instead.

If you just want to rip a CD (if your 0n Microsloth), you can use the Media Player 9 or greater.

FinalCutToast!
07-11-2008, 09:31 AM
The entire Nero 7 package is a virus... Hell, the drives that Nero is packaged WITH, don't even work with the software correctly - especially HP and LightScribe drives. No foolin?

I would suggest flinging it down the street or using...it as a coaster instead.How 'bout keeping it near a flashlight, for use as a mirror, when having to reach behind your workstation in the dark?

If you just want to rip a CD (if your 0n Microsloth), you can use the Media Player 9 or greater. Oh, don't do that! Discovered just yesterday that Media Player-ripped CD soundtrack refused to so much as stick its ugly toe into the timeline, when attempting to use it in a SpeedEDIT VT project. Likely that NewTek needs to cover thier arses over that one, anyway.

But I was thinking that changing the .wma suffix to mp3 might work, but it didn't. Is there, in fact some "secret" work-around? :confused:

Lightwolf
07-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Use something like foobar2000, exact audio copy or any of the other open source rippers.

Cheers,
Mike

Quiet1onTheSet
07-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Use something like foobar2000, exact audio copy or any of the other open source rippers.Yeah, Mike -- FinalX said earlier, that's what worked.

I was thinking that changing the .wma suffix to mp3 might work, but it didn't. Is there, in fact some "secret" work-around? :confused:Change the .wma extension to .wav instead. That should do it.

Q1