PDA

View Full Version : Envelope on Noisy Channel???

Otterman
07-09-2008, 06:39 AM
I want to make the camera shake when an object gets closer to my camera. I cant figure a way of doing this as you cant apply an envelope on the noisy modifier.

So far-ive created a null with this modifier and applied a channel follower modifier on the camera to control when the camera shake kicks in and finishes at least. Problem is, its all or nothing...I REALLY NEED AN ENVELOPE!!!

The only thing i can think of is to create several nulls with varying degrees of noisey channel and apply then as and when....but its a fudge work around...im sure theres a better way of doing it

Any ideas?

dpont
07-09-2008, 06:49 AM
http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=9fe8a3d4

Denis.

Otterman
07-09-2008, 06:54 AM
Hey Denis-ur a peach!

I can see its doesnt mention its compatiable with mac-ub but il give it a wirl.

Failing that il just apply several Channel follower mods with varying scale...should do the trick!

Otterman
07-09-2008, 07:23 AM
Boo-Hoo! I struck out. This plug-in doesnt work with mac lightwave 9.3 ub

Sekhar
07-09-2008, 07:35 AM
Use expressions: e.g., create a null vibrating full the way you want, and create expression(s) for your object based on this null's channel(s) and the object's proximity to the camera.

Otterman
07-09-2008, 07:42 AM
Im usually not affraid to jump into the deep end with lightwave and have a go but crikey Sekhar-expressions!!!...now your scaring me!!!

I wouldnt havent any idea where to start....and id look silly wearing my armbands n rubber ring

dpont
07-09-2008, 07:50 AM
in Expression tab, you have Builder,
get the random function in lscript function,
usually,
random(-0.200,0.200)
with min & max values,
is a basic "noise" variation that you can apply
to a channel position in GE,
in Builder you can also select a Null channel
instead of values in random(),
then you can use these channel
to "envelope" the "random" noise.

Denis.

dpont
07-09-2008, 07:55 AM
Something like:
random([Null (1).Position.Y],[Null (2).Position.Y])
then add keys for these 2 NULL to vary the noise.

Denis.

dpont
07-09-2008, 08:00 AM
Just two key on NULL 1 & 2 Y position,
expression applied to NULL 3 Y position,
a fade in,

Denis.

Sekhar
07-09-2008, 08:21 AM
Denis, I think he wanted the vibration strength to depend on proximity to camera. Otterman, see attached for a quick example - as the cube gets closer to camera, it vibrates stronger. The expression in this simple example is for the X channel of Cube.

Otterman
07-09-2008, 08:32 AM
Argh guys, your both too kind! However....

Denis, this is alot to get my head around, ive never ever peeked at the expression builder-it looks a little daughnting but hey, i guess i need to get my hands dirty.

Sekar im guessing your using 9.5, my 9.31 isnt playing ball! Any chance of saving down because im my experience, theres nothing better than ripping open a scene to learn from.

dpont
07-09-2008, 08:57 AM
A Textured channel is interesting too,
with a Turbulence procedural,
envelope the scale for varying frequence,
put a negative texture value and add
a positive Value layer in blend addition
to get noisy oscillations.

Denis.

MooseDog
07-09-2008, 08:58 AM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77361

using the master channel plug-in, lw native, expressions (yes! but easy) and all explained in a top-notch video tutorial!

Sekhar
07-09-2008, 09:43 AM
Sekar im guessing your using 9.5, my 9.31 isnt playing ball! Any chance of saving down because im my experience, theres nothing better than ripping open a scene to learn from.

Yeah, sorry it was 9.5; see below for the 9.3.1 version. Anyway, the key part is the expression on the X channel for Cube:

random(0,1)*exp(5-vmag([CubeHolder.Position]-[Camera.Position]))

Surrealist.
07-09-2008, 09:05 PM
You might want to also take a look at Jolt. The documentation is pretty good. You might find some use for it here.

Events Tab
On the Events tab, you can cause jolting based on the position, rotation, or scale of items. (If you want the effect to occur on specific keyframes, this is set on the Keyframes tab. You can set both.) The Watch pop-up menu gives you a list of all the items currently in your LightWave scene. You may select any available item from this list as the watched item, that is, the item that triggers the event.