PDA

View Full Version : Free IKBooster - APS Demo by Larry Shultz Saturday July 12th

kurv
07-08-2008, 10:58 PM
http://www.kurvstudios.com/images/newsletter/newsletter-special-070708.jpg

Watch Larry Shultz Demo IK Booster & APS Free

When: Saturday July 12th
Where: KURV studios online LIVE classroom
Time: 2:00 cst (12:00 Pacific / 3:00 Eastern)
Space is limited, and registration is required - Register Now (http://kurvstudios.webex.com)!

Our last demo was so successful were doing it again and were adding APS to it, thats Adaptive Pixel Subdivision for you newbies out there. APS and IKB are both amazing tools but we never see any of you using them, well were going to change that.

Find out how APS & IK Booster can speed up your work flow for modeling to rigs and animation... and it is already in LightWave 3D, you already own it... shhhhh don't tell NewTek :P

Watch Larry for up to 1 - 1.5 hours Saturday and then show off your new skillz on SpinQuad (http://www.spinquad.com/forums) or here on NewTek's forums!

Register Here (http://kurvstudios.webex.com)

Jörg
07-09-2008, 03:06 AM
Excellent

I missed the free training session vom Larry about the IKBooster last week.
Wes, what can I say except THANKS/AWESOME for doing free training sessions for the LW community :thumbsup::bowdown:

JJ

lede
07-09-2008, 09:24 AM
Great news Kurv! A free hour of training with Larry is amazing.

-Lee

BigHache
07-09-2008, 03:18 PM
For those that didn't get to attend, it's a great demonstration. The information is good and the technology it's delivered through is pretty keen.

I've ordered my copy of the IKBooster DVD as well and can't wait to see the entire thing.

richdj
07-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Can't wait for this...

Rich

richdj
07-12-2008, 04:35 PM
The session was excellent. We only managed to touch on IKB, but it was time well spent. Larry has this ability to make the seemingly difficult, more than do-able for us mere mortals. He provided a number of tips and tricks on IKB which left us all feeling that NT hasn't promoted this invaluable animation tool as it should have done. I've seen a number of post's through out the LW and 3D forums slamming LW's ability in Character Animation, and despite seeing a few videos before of IKB, it's not until now that I'm thinking we've all missed something. It might not do everything you want it to, but then theres never one rig that does. I'd really like to see animators who use other software come and have a go with IKB. It shouldn't be refered to as a booster, it should simply be refered to as a "rig 2 animate" system in it's own right. Don't let the fact that it looks simple and it's lack of panels fool you.. This is something we should all be embracing and telling the 3D world about.. I'm sure alot of people on the session would agree, I'd love to see NT take IKB and say to other 3D software users, look this rigging for animation its simple "JUST LOOK AT THIS"....

Please, if your going to bash CA in LW, then at least tell me you've tried IKB and know it intamately...

Cheers to Larry and everyone there for an excellent show..

Rich

rakker16mm
07-12-2008, 04:49 PM
The session was excellent. We only managed to touch on IKB, but it was time well spent. Larry has this ability to make the seemingly difficult, more than do-able for us mere mortals. He provided a number of tips and tricks on IKB which left us all feeling that NT hasn't promoted this invaluable animation tool as it should have done. I've seen a number of post's through out the LW and 3D forums slamming LW's ability in Character Animation, and despite seeing a few videos before of IKB, it's not until now that I'm thinking we've all missed something. It might not do everything you want it to, but then theres never one rig that does. I'd really like to see animators who use other software come and have a go with IKB. It shouldn't be refered to as a booster, it should simply be refered to as a "rig 2 animate" system in it's own right. Don't let the fact that it looks simple and it's lack of panels fool you.. This is something we should all be embracing and telling the 3D world about.. I'm sure alot of people on the session would agree, I'd love to see NT take IKB and say to other 3D software users, look this rigging for animation its simple "JUST LOOK AT THIS"....

Please, if your going to bash CA in LW, then at least tell me you've tried IKB and know it intamately...

Cheers to Larry and everyone there for an excellent show..

Rich

Rich,

I completely agree with you on every single point. My only criticism is that you didn't use big bold text to get every one's attention, but other than that, yes I completely agree.

Weetos
07-13-2008, 06:52 AM
Will this free session be available later as a recorded session ?

AbnRanger
07-13-2008, 07:02 AM
Will this free session be available later as a recorded session ?It's already there, AFAIK...it was an encore performance if you will, of one they did previously. I was able to download it and watch, so you should be able to as well.

Weetos
07-13-2008, 07:17 AM
Thanks for your reply, Don

It's weird, I don't see it listed in the recorded session page. I can see the session that was recorded on the 28th of june (which was really cool, btw) but I see no session for the 13th of july ??? Am I missing something here ?

SplineGod
07-13-2008, 09:12 AM
BTW Don, The demo yesterday showed a lion being used rather then a shark. I was able to take a basic walkcycle and extend it to hundreds of frames, make the lion walk forward on its own and interactively change its path plus a few other things. Wes is in the process of editing that to make it available as well.

Weetos
07-13-2008, 09:30 AM
Oh yeah great, Thanks Larry :)

SplineGod
07-13-2008, 09:42 AM
No problem :) I think youll find it very interesting :)

kurv
07-13-2008, 10:33 AM
Will this free session be available later as a recorded session ?

I will be available on Tuesday, we need to edit this one a little :)

Don, also, this one is a lot different than the one done before... so when we release it you may want to watch this one as well, it is even better :P

Thanks guys!!!

Weetos
07-13-2008, 12:12 PM
Thank you Wes for your hard work, this is so cool :thumbsup:

Can't wait for watching this !

Stooch
07-13-2008, 01:44 PM
So i bought the IK booster videox and i gotta say, it has me bored to death. This stuff is definitelly not for advanced users especially the annoying simple questions like "What is a rig" or "what am i doing right now" with a long pause while waiting for feedback. That kind of stuff SHOULD NOT BE included in a NON LIVE tutorial session. Its really painful to watch stuff like this, so its not really 9 hours of training, more like 2 hours of useful info with 7 hours of really basic 101 stuff. i wish it was all cut down to the meat of the matter. overall i think the idea and workflow is exciting from IKB, its definitelly a great thing in terms of workflow ideas and clean UI design. Once weight painting is available in layout along with very fast deformation and better facial tools i could see doing a project with IKB. Larry made lots of points about how using weight maps should be a last resort etc. and i agree but there are times where you need them and those times are why im a maya user for animation. (and why i switched from messiah).

SplineGod
07-13-2008, 01:58 PM
The important thing stooch was that you were able to get thru it all in less then 9 hrs and regardless of whether you liked the training per se you did find that the workflow IS exciting, GREAT in terms of workflow ideas and Clean UI design. Im sure there are other aspects you found useful such as saving poses and motions, copying poses and motions between characters and so on.

rakker16mm
07-13-2008, 02:16 PM
I hope to see weight painting in Layout and continued support of IKBooster. Together they would be an extremely powerful combination. I'm pretty sure we will get at least one of those two things, but I worry that as modeler and layout are integrated we may loose some great tools along the way.

I don't know how NewTek prioritizes what part of the code they are working on, but as much of the code for LightWave would be due for a rewrite, obscure tools such as IKBooster that are under utilized may get dumped in the process. I would hate to see IKBooster get dropped because it is one of the best things in LightWave.

AbnRanger
07-13-2008, 10:42 PM
I hope to see weight painting in Layout and continued support of IKBooster. Together they would be an extremely powerful combination. I'm pretty sure we will get at least one of those two things, but I worry that as modeler and layout are integrated we may loose some great tools along the way.

I don't know how NewTek prioritizes what part of the code they are working on, but as much of the code for LightWave would be due for a rewrite, obscure tools such as IKBooster that are under utilized may get dumped in the process. I would hate to see IKBooster get dropped because it is one of the best things in LightWave.For medium to hi-res characters, it seems LW needs better "skinning" or deformation tools...such as weight painting in the Layout interface, as previously mentioned, and a deformation lattice for difficult areas like the Armpit/Shoulder area, knees, and elbows. If there is an easier method already in LW, I sure would like to know about it.

Gui Lo
07-13-2008, 11:23 PM
From watching the IKB demos it seems that Larry is advocating a workflow such as:

1) Use as simple rigg as possible.
2) Block in the animation.
3) add to rigg if step 2 cannot be fulfilled.
4) Add local deformations with additional bones, weight maps, morphs, etc.

I think one of NT main problem is communication of their product. With added tools it is now misleading when as well as how to use them. This is one of the great things about these demos. We get to know when and how a tool should be used.

Listening and watching to Larry, his attitude seems to be that if an animation does not need heavy rigging or deformations then why waste time building them into the rigg. This makes sense to me and brings down a lot of barriers that stopped me from starting CA.

rakker16mm
07-13-2008, 11:30 PM
For medium to hi-res characters, it seems LW needs better "skinning" or deformation tools...such as weight painting in the Layout interface, as previously mentioned, and a deformation lattice for difficult areas like the Armpit/Shoulder area, knees, and elbows. If there is an easier method already in LW, I sure would like to know about it.

Most of my work is on the low to medium res side of things. So I would be talking out of my hat to say much about LightWave's weaknesses at higher resolutions, but it seems armpits, elbows and knees will always require more attention from both the programer and the artist. Then again those same areas present difficulties for artists working in traditional medias as well.

SplineGod
07-15-2008, 09:48 AM
Thats true though strictly speaking the deformation issues arent CA issues. IKB for example deals strictly with motions. In larger studios you have character animators that have very light rigs so they can animate quickly. The motions are then passed onto more complex rigs by technical animators and so on.
Despite other apps having tools to give greater control over deformations etc you wouldnt believe some of the hoops they still have to go thru. Ive found that most Character work doesnt need that level of deformation control if for no other reason you dont have the time.

daforum
07-15-2008, 05:29 PM
I missed the session but I would like to know where I can download it from?

Thanks.

SplineGod
07-15-2008, 05:54 PM
I dont know the exact link off hand but I think you can get to it by going to KURVs free video area. We will be doing more of these btw. :)

colkai
07-16-2008, 02:32 AM
Have to say Larry,
Even with all the negativity still flying around with IKB, your sessions here are definitely turning the tide so people are starting to appreciate the possibilities more.

Kudos to you and Kurv for doing these and please do keep them flowing, for those of us on the other side of the ponds who can't be at the sessions, being able to download and watch them is very useful indeed. :)

evenflcw
07-16-2008, 07:15 AM
Gah! Can't find it anywhere yet. The lion part intrigues me.

Weetos
07-16-2008, 07:55 AM
Can't find it either - it should be listed here (https://kurvstudios.webex.com/tc0500l/trainingcenter/record/navRecordAction.do?siteurl=kurvstudios&firstEnter=1) but it's not.

Wes said this session required a bit of editing, so maybe it won't appear there, since the free videos appearing in this list seems to be raw records (ARF files), I wanted to check on Kurv studios free tuts section - but I just can't get through the login process :cry:

Wes ? Sorry to bother you, but when I'm trying to login on http://www.kurvstudios.com/free_tutorials , I'm getting a red error box that reads "Please correct these errors: Account is not yet activated, please active your account first." - How am I supposed to activate my account ? Thanks :)