PDA

View Full Version : HyperTextures render differently from 9 to 93

Mr Rid
07-08-2008, 04:24 PM
I havent caught this before and wondered if anyone has.

I noticed that HV settings I had developed and saved out of 9 look way wrong in 9.3. The HyperTextures amplitude in 9.3 is more exaggerated but I cant find an exact compensation for it. Adjusting amplitude will not yield quite the same result. If I compensate by cutting on initial amplitude of 200% in 9 down to 100% in 9.3, they look close. But amplitude of 100% in 9 is closer to 75% in 9.3, but the texture is more different. I dont see a way to compensate directly. Is frustrating that some settings I developed in 9 dont work anymore. Am wondering what changed exactly.

lardbros
07-08-2008, 04:32 PM
Could it be something related to the opacity of the hypervoxels? If i recall correctly Newtek did something to make the opacity work correctly, or as it is meant to do, but this may change older scenes!

Could someone from newtek confirm or deny please?

Mr Rid
07-08-2008, 06:46 PM
Could it be something related to the opacity of the hypervoxels? If i recall correctly Newtek did something to make the opacity work correctly, or as it is meant to do, but this may change older scenes!

Could someone from newtek confirm or deny please?

I see the problem with default settings and a hyper texture. I failed to specify that the problem is with sprite HyperTextures. Volume HyperTexture amplitude appears the same in 9 as 93, although they render with a different pattern but that really isnt a problem.

vfxwizard
07-09-2008, 12:15 AM
If I compensate by cutting on initial amplitude of 200% in 9 down to 100% in 9.3, they look close.

Sprite amplitude in 9.2+ should be exactly twice as much than before. I did test this when it changed but it has been a long time so I don't remember if it was pixel perfect or just close.

If you are in the OB look for Build 1144 release notes.

Mr Rid
07-09-2008, 03:08 AM
Sprite amplitude in 9.2+ should be exactly twice as much than before. I did test this when it changed but it has been a long time so I don't remember if it was pixel perfect or just close.

If you are in the OB look for Build 1144 release notes.

It seemed that halving the amp would work at first. But it does not work that way at all values.

And I do not like messing with betas of anything. I was on the 9+ OB before and it was just a regular headache.

vfxwizard
07-09-2008, 04:37 AM
But it does not work that way at all values.

That's why I directed you to the 9.2 build that documented all the changes. Unfortunatly it can't be posted here.

Mr Rid
07-12-2008, 03:15 AM
I just realized the other part of the HV settings from v9 that are broken in 9.3.

With particle rotations set to Align to Path and HV 'Use Particle orientation' enabled, stretch velocity is incorrectly rotated 90 degrees away from the particle path. These particles are exploding out from center, but the stretch is wrong-

If I disable 'Use Particle Orientation' the stretch velocity follows the path of the particle correctly. Align to Path in HV has no effect on the stretch.

Glendalough
07-12-2008, 02:30 PM
I just realized the other part of the HV settings from v9 that are broken in 9.3.

With particle rotations set to Align to Path and HV 'Use Particle orientation' enabled, stretch velocity is incorrectly rotated 90 degrees away from the particle path. These particles are exploding out from center, but the stretch is wrong-

If I disable 'Use Particle Orientation' the stretch velocity follows the path of the particle correctly. Align to Path in HV has no effect on the stretch.

Hi Mr Rid,

Yes, the HV settings in 9.3 are 'different'! The Lightwave 9.3 PDF says:

"Hypervoxels

The way Hypervoxel sprites are calculated has changed. They now work as you would expect by the values as entered. 100% means 100% and not 50%. The texture amplitude is now only applied if there is a hypertexture. 100% amplitude is full contrast not 50% contrast as before. The amplitude is also applied in a more logical fashion and clipped to 0 to prevent negative values. This means that if you apply a texture map to your sprite, it will appear at 100% intensity as you would expect if the luminosity and density are 100%. All of this will change the look of Hypervoxel sprites considerably. Please note that there is an ambient color that is applied to sprites. This can only be set in the Advanced shading tab for Volume Hypervoxels. It will make sprites a bit brighter than you would expect but it is being calculated correctly and can be turned off."

I can't make all that much sense of it, maybe the changes are proportional. But all the same it seems hard to duplicate exact appearances. Am trying to go from 8.5 to 9.3.

Mr Rid
07-14-2008, 12:39 AM
Hi Mr Rid,

Yes, the HV settings in 9.3 are 'different'! The Lightwave 9.3 PDF says:

"Hypervoxels

The way Hypervoxel sprites are calculated has changed. They now work as you would expect by the values as entered. 100% means 100% and not 50%. The texture amplitude is now only applied if there is a hypertexture. 100% amplitude is full contrast not 50% contrast as before. The amplitude is also applied in a more logical fashion and clipped to 0 to prevent negative values. This means that if you apply a texture map to your sprite, it will appear at 100% intensity as you would expect if the luminosity and density are 100%. All of this will change the look of Hypervoxel sprites considerably. Please note that there is an ambient color that is applied to sprites. This can only be set in the Advanced shading tab for Volume Hypervoxels. It will make sprites a bit brighter than you would expect but it is being calculated correctly and can be turned off."

I can't make all that much sense of it, maybe the changes are proportional. But all the same it seems hard to duplicate exact appearances. Am trying to go from 8.5 to 9.3.

So, no mention about the particle orientation and stretch velocity then.

Netvudu
07-17-2008, 09:15 AM
I always wondered why "strectch velocity" option had such an impact on render times. Itīs not logical...havenīt touched it on some time though...itīs still as slow as it was?