PDA

View Full Version : Certain models randomly crash LW 8.0

Springheel
07-08-2008, 08:16 AM
I have a frustrating problem, and I'm hoping maybe someone else has run into the same thing and can give me some insight into what's going on.

I use Lightwave to make low-poly game models, primarily. For some reason, when I am working on AI models (about 5000 polys), I will occasionally have a model that suddenly refuses to load. Whenever I try to load it, LW hangs and crashes. This is the only info I get about the error:

szAppName : modeler.exe szAppVer : 0.0.0.0 szModName : hungapp
szModVer : 0.0.0.0 offset : 00000000

I can load the model fine in Layout, but not modeller. Loading the model from my other computer gives the same error. I cannot pin down any pattern to when this will happen to a model, but it seems to only happen with AI models...I have never had it happen with anything else. And *occasionally*, the model will start working again at a later date, but for no discernable reason I can see.

It's extremely frustrating. Anything like this happen to anyone else?

Springheel
07-08-2008, 08:50 AM
Huh. I think I've found a workaround, and I'll post here in case it happens to someone else:

I noticed that the crash seemed to happen after the the mesh was displayed in both the top two windows, but before it was rendered in the perspective window, which was set to display the texture wire (the other two were set to wireframe).

I changed the perspective window to wireframe, and the model loaded without problem. Changed it back to texture wire after it was done loading, and there were no problems.

Not sure exactly what the issue is...I do have an ATI x850 card, so it might be related to that. Anyway, hope that helps someone--I'm just glad I can get back to work. :)

colkai
07-08-2008, 09:05 AM
Sounds probable.
I got crashes on my laptop, which is a lowly IntelGM thingy. Setting streaming OGL helped, strangely, I found it wouldn't crash if I was in single viewport mode.
It went away with a driver update for me thankfully.

BeeVee
07-09-2008, 07:12 AM
Springheel, I would make sure you're running the last version of 8 - 8.5. It cured many issues with earlier versions and showed the development really getting into their stride.

B