PDA

View Full Version : HD Instance- wow! and how?

tyrot
07-08-2008, 02:58 AM
dear hdi users

i have just purchased HDI and also just realized "how i was so lost without it"

It is just an amazing piece of software...Where was i? .i ll make a HDInstance song...if i finish this job because it just made me rediscover Layout... Millions of leaves..and 36 MB of ram???!!? Graham you are not human!...

But i have one annoying problem ..

I see some (not dead people but) Dead Flat Lines in some renders..and they are visible in everyframe..Especially when camera angle is very low they are more visible.

Do you see them too? what could be the reason? In Golf Court those lines actually follow the other textures or shadows...or something like that..it is very very visible throughout render..

--And what is the best AA, AS for exterior radiosity renders for HDI? I m still using 9,3 HDI 1.8.2

Best

xchrisx
07-08-2008, 11:29 AM
are your clip maps pure white ? if they are a slight shade of gray or there is transparency on the surface of the leaves it may be revealing what is underneath.

digitaldoc
07-08-2008, 12:02 PM
It may be that your raytrace settings are not high enough. sometimes shadow settings can case a similar problem as well.

Auger
07-08-2008, 12:21 PM
dear hdi users

i have just purchased HDI and also just realized "how i was so lost without it"

--And what is the best AA, AS for exterior radiosity renders for HDI? I m still using 9,3 HDI 1.8.2

If you just purchased it, shouldn't you have HDInstance 2?

JamesCurtis
07-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Actually HDI 1.8 and 2.0 are both available. 2.0 is double the cost as well.

Greenlaw
07-08-2008, 03:47 PM
If you just purchased it, shouldn't you have HDInstance 2?

HD Instance 1.8 is still available from Happy-Digital. HD Instance 2.0 is essentially a completely new product and not just an update to 1.x. (Though you can upgrade from 1.x to 2.0 by paying the difference in price.)

DRG

tyrot
07-08-2008, 03:56 PM
dear digi and x

thanks for the suggestions i ll check them right away..

ANd yes just for now i got 1.8.2 it is incredible.. I will get 2.0 soon enough.. But all i can say..i was hurting myself badly with RAM problems, trying to optimize clipmapped trees etc etc...

Now i m just defying those limitations and i just cannot believe what i see. If one needs and instances, instantly should get HD instance..

BEST ..

Auger
07-08-2008, 04:30 PM
Actually HDI 1.8 and 2.0 are both available. 2.0 is double the cost as well.

That's cool of Graham to do... 1.8 is pretty freakin' cool as it stands!

tyrot
07-09-2008, 04:58 PM
dear digidoc

i am trying everything ...but still seeing those lines..Am i the only one who has this problem? ....

BEST

*Pete*
07-09-2008, 05:12 PM
:thumbsup:
dear digidoc

i am trying everything ...but still seeing those lines..Am i the only one who has this problem? ....

BEST

I had similiar problems, untill i noticed that i had several objects instanced in the same position, or very close by...you could try to lessen the density.

another idea is to randomize the size of you instances.

and yes..HDI is super cool..just wait untill you discover the HDI shader that lets you add variations on the color of the instances ;)
the company you bought it from aint called "happy digital" for nothing :D:thumbsup:

tyrot
07-09-2008, 05:17 PM
dear pete

thanks for the tip mate...But look there is an instance Tree in foreground. But Pool behind it produce an ugly line...just like other trees in the background.... May be there is a strange combination works well and yet i dont know...

Best

*Pete*
07-09-2008, 05:46 PM
intresting..the black stripe matches the shape of the pool.

up your ray recursions perhaps...

there is something, i had similiar problems but i found a way to solve it..i just cant remember how, perhaps i will remember in the morning.

is it possible for you to share the scene?..i have HDI so i could try to see if i can replicate the error.

digitaldoc
07-09-2008, 05:59 PM
I'd be willing to give it a try too. It's looking like a ray recursion problem.

tyrot
07-09-2008, 06:00 PM
dear Pete

just got a support mail from graham (mister instance) "turn off noise reduction" i turned it off ..lines have gone..

But the real question is :) how can i render without noise reduction? and All HDI users what is your noise reduction workflow?

Thanks pete - i feel like very happy today.:)

Best

robk
07-09-2008, 09:18 PM
An upgrade to HDI 2 would be recommended from My viewpoint. The instancing per meter c/w the addition of weight mapping to help control densities and multiple instance types on one surface is great.
I find HDI 2 to be a great step above 1.8
In the attached sample I put all the different type of flowers on 1 surface by just using weight maps to define which area the flowers should go.

HDI 2 Rocks

MooseDog
07-09-2008, 09:23 PM
...But the real question is :) how can i render without noise reduction? and All HDI users what is your noise reduction workflow?

if you're using 9.2 or newer, the noise reduction feature is redundant. i never use it. use adaptive sampling instead. better and smarter at what it does.

tyrot
07-09-2008, 11:01 PM
dear moose

man ...some habits wont change easily...i always checked it :) yes AA-AS (especially mr.mitchell does pretty decent job without it...man i feel like rendering for the first time. Without checking my task manager...without optimizing trees..etc etc...

HDI is awesome.......

Best

*Pete*
07-11-2008, 03:07 PM
heh..i know that feeling tyrot, i know that feeling :D

i assume this will end up into a new song from you ;)

snsmoore
07-11-2008, 03:53 PM
Ok, so this may be off topic, but how does HDI perform? Say you have 1 tree that takes 10 seconds to render, if you have 30 instances of trees, would it be a little longer than the 10 seconds or would it be in the neighborhood of 300 seconds.

I guess what I'm getting at is what besides saving scene memory and easy of repetitive placement does HDI do? (i.e. If I start using it, is it going to make me more prone to creating really long render time scenes because it is so easy to place and store lots of instances?)

tyrot
07-11-2008, 07:17 PM
dear SNS

really i was keep asking myself do i need HDI? ...MAN i NEED you NEED ...everyone needs...IT just mind blowing...It doesnt care numbers...Only limitation is so far is "ME and my OLD workflow with LW" soon i ll post the renders..I am still trying to free my mind from old habits and trying to embrace more and more HDI..

Do not really waste your time for reading posts just like i did and just buy HDI..There is nothing like it...and render speed is just crazy...

All i need right now ..to control individual rotation of instances :) It would be awesome i guess. Not just a random value for all instances but each one individual...If there is a workflow around this..I am in heaven...

BEST

dwburman
07-11-2008, 08:46 PM
a few years ago I use HDI to do an arena. in order to control the rotation of the seats I had different objects for the different sections and had HDI on the different objects with the min and max rotations set specifically for that section.

You could try doing it that way.

Since then I think Graham added the ability to use a polygon's normal to define the rotation (and other features I haven't played with).

nthused
07-11-2008, 10:14 PM
We're still using 1.8 (I think that's the latest). Just haven't been able to justify the cost of the upgrade to 2.X - which is significant.

I've been using the software for years now. Absolutely love it as it really is the ONLY option for creating huge scenes without resorting to compositing.

Latest:
for final renders use
AA: 4
AS: 0.035

Seems to work most of the time with very little noise.

Have fun!

praa
07-13-2008, 08:10 PM
Not just a random value for all instances but each one individual...If there is a workflow around this..I am in heaven...

well i am doing a symphonic hall right now and we have aligned blocks from autocad that represent the eventual seats

i convert those blocks to 4 sided polys with a "target" side that is shorter than the others and tell HD instance to point instance at shortest side of poly thats it voilą tadam

tyrot
07-13-2008, 09:22 PM
dear allen

thanks for the settings..i was using 0.05 - 0.06 on AS ...very nice images indeed.

praa, yes i wrote graham and he replied the same way. thanks mate...

HDI rocks..my whole workflow has changed...Right now when i look around, i ask myself, how can i HDI this..HDI that..

BEST

archijam
07-14-2008, 01:44 PM
Snsmoore: watch your ram go up as you add 100, then 200, then 300 of the same trees. With higher poly x-frog trees, by 20 I was no longer able to render enything at all (also in 3DS max). HDInstance will allow 1000 without hitting you for ram, it just takes time (a reasonable trade off).

We're still using 1.8 (I think that's the latest). Just haven't been able to justify the cost of the upgrade to 2.X - which is significant.

You should be able to get 1.83 from Graham.

Larry_g1s
07-15-2008, 12:09 AM
Snsmoore: watch your ram go up as you add 100, then 200, then 300 of the same trees. With higher poly x-frog trees, by 20 I was no longer able to render enything at all (also in 3DS max). HDInstance will allow 1000 without hitting you for ram, it just takes time (a reasonable trade off).

You should be able to get 1.83 from Graham.I thought 1.8.2 is the latest under 2.x. :stumped:

archijam
07-15-2008, 12:53 AM
Indeed! 1.82 it is ;P