PDA

View Full Version : Volumetric objects

zippitt
07-07-2008, 11:31 AM
I am looking to create volumetric effects that can be created using object shapes instead of the light shapes.

The closest of have come to duplicating volumetric lights with an object is by using hypervoxels, but the render times can be a bit much.

Is there a better way to get the desired results?

rwhunt99
07-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Did you try using the old method of faking it by using a cone with a procedural texture? Works half way decent, depending on what you're trying to do
:)

zippitt
07-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Yeah, unfortunately I need volume much like there is with hypervoxels or volumetric lights...so the old faking it won't work for me.

3dwannabes
07-07-2008, 03:25 PM
your best bet in LW natively is to use motion blur...

Mr Rid
07-07-2008, 05:17 PM
May depend on the shape. But there are old school cheats using transparency, glow, and repeating scale keyframes with moblur, or doing something in comp.

zippitt
07-08-2008, 08:27 AM
I have tried the transparency, glow, and edge shader tricks. In some situations they would work fine, but passing objects through volumetrics seems to make things difficult.

I think the motion blur would cause similar problems, unless the motion blur was large, but then I think I would run into issues where the shape would become too distorted from the initial object.

Thanks for the suggestion guys, it seems for the most part the tricks would work, but for a more believable volume that a camera maybe passing through I think I may have to stick to hypervoxels.

Mr Rid
07-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Dont know what kind of shape you might be considering, but you might also put masks in the texture of volumetric lights to shape them.

For instance this is one volumetric light with a mask to create a narrow 'wall' of energy. http://www.box.net/shared/static/0rpjc2y5i8.mov

zippitt
07-08-2008, 03:39 PM
The mask will actually work for some of the things I want to try. I will play around with that.

Thanks