PDA

View Full Version : 3d- painting in Modeler or Layout

Elmar Moelzer
07-27-2003, 12:35 PM
Hello
I have seen quite a few people asking for 3d- texture- painting in Modeler. Personally I do most of my surfacing in Layout and would like 3d- painting to be there, not in Modeler.
I have asked this question before, but I never got a real answer.
So to everyone who wants painting in Modeler:
Could you please tell me your reasons for that (just out of personal curiosity)?
Thanks
CU
Elmar

meatycheesyboy
07-27-2003, 01:34 PM
I think that the main reason would be because UVs are created in modeler. I personally would like to see it available in both like the surface editor.

hrgiger
07-27-2003, 02:14 PM
You know, if we got 3D painting as a part of Lightwave, I wouldn't care if it was in modeler or Layout. Personally, I like to texture in Layout since obviously, I can use VIPER and do renders and lighting in such. But if 3D paint was even in a 3rd application, that would be fine too as long as it gave me the ability to see pretty much what it would look like rendered.
If it was implemented in modeler only, that would seem like a step back. Now we're back to jumping back and forth between the two programs to see what the results would be rendered.

sailor
07-27-2003, 02:18 PM
Yes Elmar i think the same...you could for instance paint alphas for a non Uved mesh...make some planars and just quick and dirt paint alphas to make texture blends...you could also use a better method than the actual texture guide by using (again integration!!) the same camera that u are usin for rendering and the one you use for layin out UV (see the texture guide with the camera option as an example)

As far as i know UV happens in Modeler and as meetcheesyboy said it sounds logical to make UV/paint them in modeler...but i have a better suggestion integrated layout and modeler and then u have the 3d paint in both what ya think? :p

notice that this Layout or Modeler debate will be useless if they were integrated... HRGIGER i understand your "surface then render" workflow...i will push further your own logic and say that when u have heavy scenes you can make a much better workflow..."model, texture and render" instead of just texture and render as you are saying this time...

you can save lots of polys, texture resolution and detail if you work directly trough the camera...

i know some guys that worked for BUF compagny (Fight Club effects) they work with a propietary software that dont even have UV...everything was cam mapped !!! no UV maybe but integration :p

riki
07-27-2003, 05:46 PM
3D paint makes the whole process a lot more intuative, helps you get back to being an artist.

It would be ideal if we could have it in both. But either would be a Godsend at the moment.

TyVole
07-27-2003, 07:01 PM
I think Maxon's BodyPaint 3d is or will soon support LightWave. Maybe some deal could be worked out?

hrgiger
07-27-2003, 10:17 PM
I think Maxon 3D already does support Lightwave as far as BodyPaint goes.

And Riki hit the nail on the head with letting us getting back to being artists. You currently have to be a frickin genius of physics to get a UV map that doesn't pinch or stretch or seam somewhere. It would be nice to just paint on the model and not have to worry about how it was going to be projected on it.

papou
07-28-2003, 02:30 PM
id love to see something like front projection 3d painting.
Aura is dying, i hope Nt will include it in Lw. with the tracker too.

shermanlu
07-28-2003, 02:47 PM
How about compiling Aura into Vertex paint...

papou
07-28-2003, 04:49 PM
why not but only if Vertex Paint become integrated.

Elmar Moelzer
07-28-2003, 06:06 PM
Well, just in case it was possible to create a painting- tool within LW. Not only for single images but also for sequences etc.
Just in case this was possible. What would be the advantages of it being in Modeler over it being in Layout. I have heard of UVs so far and yes I agree.
What about the OpenGL versus the possibility to do a testrender?
You cant render in Modeler.
I am not talking about any future integrated LW or something but more near- term, so please dont tell me about the advantages of integration, I know them and the disadvantages too, thanks.
CU
Elmar

prospector
07-28-2003, 07:11 PM
from modeler hit F12 then F9
test render:D

UnCommonGrafx
07-29-2003, 09:29 AM
You guys know that lw does have rudimentary 3D painting in modeler, NOW, right?
Vertex wields this sword rather well. I was surprised what all could be done. Since we are all used to subds this technique gets left behind; but if you freeze it - whoo! Lots of points to paint lots of detail into. It's not a surface paint, but does rather well as the 'undercoat'.