PDA

View Full Version : hancock is good!

jin choung
07-07-2008, 02:56 AM
it's not genius, it's not brilliant, it's not citizen kane... but it's a summer movie and it's good!

i TOTALLY don't get the negative rotten tomatoes rating and its middling ratings in general. it's at least as good as wanted.

and actually, for its belligerence and "nastiness", its tone resembles the comic wanted a lot more than the wantedmovie.

the opening is a hoot!

and the vfx are really good.

anyhoo, imo a good time at the movies.

jin

Surrealist.
07-07-2008, 03:03 AM
Just saw it last night in Bkk, subtitles in Thai and audio in English. We had a blast!

CC Rider
07-07-2008, 06:59 AM
I totally agree!
After reading all the negative press by critics and regular folks alike, I was prepared not to like it. But I had faith in Will Smith and what I had seen in the trailer and went anyway.
I thought it was pretty great.
It won't change your life or anything, but it certainly doesn't deserve the bad press it's been getting.
I thought "Wanted" was just the opposite...I went in thinking it was going to be pretty good and it was up to a point. But the ending just got too stupid to be any fun.
Word of warning about this movie if you haven't seen it yet...
some of what you see may actually border on seeming a little improbable.

:D

Surrealist.
07-07-2008, 07:06 AM
Yeah the trailer looked that way. But it looks like a wild ride just the same. Girlfriend wants to see it... gonna go. :) I saw the trailer for the new 007 looked interesting. Not sure if it can live up to the last one or not.

Kuzey
07-07-2008, 07:30 AM
I just watched wanted last night and it's by far the best movie to date...miles better than ironman.

I'll skip this one as it looks like a bad tv movie, but I did like the bit about a head up a butttt :hey:

Kuzey

CC Rider
07-07-2008, 10:30 AM
improbability... in a movie? Surely you jest, good sir.

I know, I know...hard to believe but its true.;D

It was still entertaining though.
Although, the only thought that really stays with you once the movie is over is that Angelina needs to eat a big greasy cheesburger once in a while!

calilifestyle
07-07-2008, 10:39 AM
well i didn't like it much, It was ok. At the end of the movie i was kind of bored.

Nangleator
07-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Haven't seen it, but the commercials bothered me. Just the scene with the whale has so many glaring problems of mass and inertia...

(I'll accept the stipulation that the character is super powered. No problem with this.)

He wouldn't have thrown a whale. He'd have come up with two handfuls of whale meat instead.

Barring that, the sand under his feet would have given way and he'd have just dragged himself under the whale.

Barring the nature of sand and accepting that the whale's flesh could hold itself together under hundreds of gees of acceleration, the sailboat's mast would have snapped instead of nearly instantly tipping the whole thing over on its side.

I don't believe a whale out of water could sound like a cow. (I could be wrong.)

The Bad Astromony blog explained this sort of thing ran throughout the movie. I'd have a problem with that.

It seems like the movie is a more realistic examination of the psychology of having superpowers, which seems pretty awesome to me, but I would have loved to see a realistic treatment of the physical limitations you'd actually have, too.

Giacomo99
07-07-2008, 11:40 AM
Haven't seen it, but the commercials bothered me. Just the scene with the whale has so many glaring problems of mass and inertia...

I bet the recent remake of "King Kong" had you pulling your hair out.

colkai
07-07-2008, 11:50 AM
OOhh, I hate when a fantasy film doesn't stick to reality. :D
Like talking Dragons, I mean, everyone knows Dragons don't actually talk, they're telepathic. ;)

Bad science in non-science films is like, I dunno, not using solid rocket boosters in space films.
Where were the booster tanks on the Forbidden Planet ship I ask you? :p

Nangleator
07-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Sure, it's a fantasy. But it's set in my world, not in some magical fantasy land. I'll easily accept one whopper: A guy with superpowers. But don't ask me to believe that the whole world around him doesn't follow self-consistent rules.

He throws a kid thousands of feet up into the air, right? And just catches him right before the kid hits the ground, right? So what would have happened to the kid if he didn't catch him? Would the kid die? I doubt it. If stopping just as suddenly a few feet above the ground doesn't kill him, then that kid's got some superpowers, too.

Or is there something magically deadly about the ground that would have killed the kid?

See, you get away from consistent world rules and everything in the story loses meaning. Is anybody really in danger in the movie? How would we know?

How about this: Make his superpower that he edits the laws of physics around him. Nothing other than that. Then I'd be able to relax and enjoy the story.

CC Rider
07-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Some folks are so jaded.
I'm guilty of it too sometimes I guess...but there you have the art of film-making.
It's all about making one compromise after another, all for the sake of photography. From having 2 people stand closer together than the ever would in the real world just to have a casual conversation to spaceships that explode and catch fire in the vacuum of space. Whatever it takes to "sell" the shot and make it more interesting to the masses. It keeps a lot of very talented 3d artists working. The bad thing is, everybody has their own "line" that they aren't willing to cross in terms of what they are willing to "believe" in movies and no two lines are in the same place.

Even with all the laws of nature working against him, Hancock was able to heave that whale into the ocean. Reality? No.
But you gotta love the power of the software and talent of the folks who were able to make it happen anyway.
My hat's off to them!
I'm glad that, for the most part, I am able to look past the flaws and enjoy the intended entertainment value. As long as it is quality work!

:bowdown:

GregMalick
07-07-2008, 01:04 PM
Alice & I almost walked out - we were so bored. :thumbsdow

I just can't stand when a movie lays down it's own premise (like two super Heroes become human when together) and then violates those rules without explanation in order to further a plot/scene.

Kinda like Mr. Fantastic can stretch - but if a scene calls for him to not have that ability - well go right ahead - the audience is stupid anyway. :foreheads

Better than Iron Man? Not in my Universe. :D

CC Rider
07-07-2008, 01:09 PM
Better than Iron Man? Not in my Universe. :D

Most definitely not better than Iron Man!

:agree:

CMT
07-07-2008, 01:51 PM
He throws a kid thousands of feet up into the air, right? And just catches him right before the kid hits the ground, right? So what would have happened to the kid if he didn't catch him? Would the kid die? I doubt it. If stopping just as suddenly a few feet above the ground doesn't kill him, then that kid's got some superpowers, too.

Or is there something magically deadly about the ground that would have killed the kid?

I'm usually pretty good at leaving my critic hat at the door with these types of movies, but I'm with you on this particular point. I didn't yet see the movie either, but just from seeing that part in the preview, I thought the kid should have massive internal injuries from a fall like that only to be stopped inches short of the pavement by Hancock's arm, yet only walks away with a bruised ego.

I'll definitely be seeing this soon as it looks to be overall pretty cool. But judging purely from what I've seen so far from the previews, the effects in Superman Returns were much better with portraying what the physics would be like when super human powers were used.

WillBellJr
07-07-2008, 02:41 PM
The wifey and I enjoyed the movie, definitely not better than Iron Man for sure!

What caught my attention out of the whole outing was the trailer for The Day The Earth Stood Still - the scale of what was happening was simply awesome!

I can't wait to see what Gort looks like! (assuming he's in there in the same role...)

-Will

prospector
07-07-2008, 05:09 PM
Is showing an alcaholic superhero good?
Is that someone to admire and look up to?

Somehow having kids say they want to grow up to be drunk, doesn't seem right.

calilifestyle
07-07-2008, 05:48 PM

lol iron man is an alcoholic superhero. well thats not how this film ends or should i say it changes about 20 mins into it.

Nangleator
07-07-2008, 05:55 PM
...The Day The Earth Stood Still ...
Now, that's exciting!

Jim_C
07-07-2008, 05:56 PM

It's not a kids movie.
It's appropriately rated PG-13.

jin choung
07-07-2008, 06:03 PM
as noted in the iron man thread, when iron man takes a hit from a tank shell and drops into the ground at mach two... experiencing an impact large enough to create a CRATER that he has to crawl out of....

in my world - no matter how good your bullet proof jacket (armor) is, if you hit the ground hard enough to crater it, if the jacket (armor) survives, you will be pulped inside of it.

same physics violations.

there are ALL KINDS of physics problems with comic book movies (and hollywood movies in general - people flying backward when shot, outrunning explosions, carrying several hundred pounds worth of ammo in your pockets, hearing bullets simultaneous to bullet hit, hearing explosions simultaneous to seeing it, hearing thunder at the same time as seeing lightning, explosion sounds in space, etc). and i would definitely prefer if they thought it out and everything would be stronger if they did.

but such gaffes are not a kill switch for me either but they are ABSOLUTELY weaknesses that keep the movies from being better than they are.

personally, the worst offender of POWER LOGIC VIOLATION is the new star wars movies... they can zip around like blurs one moment and the next obiwan can't run fast enough to save his teacher? or yoda can't use the force to freakin' hang on to a handhold?

jin

Dexter2999
07-07-2008, 08:41 PM
I don't think Hancock was worth the "full price" admission. I caught the matinee, and I still think that it is only worth a DVD rental.

I like the performances in the movie. My problem with it was pretty much all to do with Direction. The story emphasis wasn't on the hero vs. villain conflict. The villain was almost inconsequential. No developement in that area at all.

The effects were well done. The cheesy ones, I think were the decision of the Director to further the comedy of the scene. I think he wanted it to "look funny" instead of letting the joke ride on it's own merits.

Just say "no" people. Wait for the DVD.

Cageman
07-08-2008, 02:13 AM
As I've said before, leaving the brain at the door is the only thing to do in order to enjoy superhero movies. :)

I'm gonna check it out... because I'm childish enough to like these kinds of things. :) I'll keep my eyes open for a couple of shots that Jakkar did using LW. Maybe you did see them?

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=704496&postcount=66

colkai
07-08-2008, 02:19 AM
Sure, it's a fantasy. But it's set in my world, not in some magical fantasy land. I'll easily accept one whopper: A guy with superpowers. But don't ask me to believe that the whole world around him doesn't follow self-consistent rules.

Hang on a sec, it's worked for Superman for years. :D
I don't see how you can accept any superpower character we've ever seen in that case, simple things like stopping items, what happens to all that force and velocity, things wouldn't just stop, they'd crumple, the people inside "rescued" cars would be killed outright by the sudden impact.

Doesn't matter if it's in our world or not, once you come up with an improbable character, having it do improbable things is hardly a stretch. ;)

colkai
07-08-2008, 02:25 AM
there are ALL KINDS of physics problems with comic book movies (and hollywood movies in general - people flying backward when shot

jin

Or in M.I.3 was it, an explosion sent a character sideways when he was in front of it? WTF? Come, we've all seen that trailer ... eek - could it be any more false?

jin choung
07-08-2008, 02:36 AM
Or in M.I.3 was it, an explosion sent a character sideways when he was in front of it? WTF? Come, we've all seen that trailer ... eek - could it be any more false?

lol... yeah... EVERYONE i knew who saw that shot tried to figure it out... "why... is that.... happening?!"

best answer so far is that the explosion's vector is actually angled... knocking him forward AND sideways... : )

i have an idea about making a hollywood ACTION movie that took NO liberties whatsoever with physics. all the weird real stuff like someone getting riddled with bullets and dying before you hear the gunshots, etc... inability to easily render someone unconscious but not dead, gunshots often resulting not in death but horrific trauma like alive but shattered face/skull (melty) or gunshots that rupture crap tubes, broken flying glass being very probably lethal, etc....

that would make for a really interesting movie imo.

jin

Kuzey
07-08-2008, 03:03 AM
all the weird real stuff like someone getting riddled with bullets and dying before you hear the gunshots, etc...

jin

Funny enough, I knew someone who said that with high powered rifles, the bullet hits the target and the sound of the gun shot arrives afterwards.

Not that I know anything about guns.

Kuzey

colkai
07-08-2008, 03:28 AM
Funny enough, I knew someone who said that with high powered rifles, the bullet hits the target and the sound of the gun shot arrives afterwards.

Kuzey
Yup, a high velocity rifle from a distance, that will happen. Speed of sound N all that, but it's rare it used "correctly" in films.

jin choung
07-08-2008, 03:57 AM

Kuzey

me neither...

probably the biggest thing outside of a classroom (thunder/lightning) where the "slowness of sound" struck me was watching people sing the star spangled banner (or anykind of p.a. situation) in a large stadium live and the thing being "out of sync".

as for bullets, yah, i can't imagine - the sound thing being the case - how DISORIENTING it must be to actually be on a battlefield.

in general, i think sound and firearms are really interesting. mostly from a movie/game perspective and as it contrasts with real world physics.

ala:

1. you almost NEVER hear a real "silencer" (suppressor) in movies... they simply don't make that stereotypical "pwit pwit" sound. the best verbal description i've heard is it sounds like a car door slamming. you hear the action of the gun and a more "diffuse" discharge sound and i've read that some suppressor systems slow the bullet itself to prevent a sonic boom crack.

would love to get a nice clean .wav of suppressed gunshots but they're remarkably difficult to find for some reason. the suppressors are illegal but you wouldn't imagine that the sounds themselves are classified or something....

2. the book "blackhawk down" has lots of neat descriptions of the different sounds shots/bullets make.... evidently, if something flies past your head, you can definitely hear that you almost died... there is evidently a distinct cracking sound. and this sounds different from slugs going past you further away. and then you get the sound of the shots emanating from the rifles themselves yards away with the attendant delay....

hmmmmm, i wonder how i can wrangle a situation where i can hear this phenomena in a controlled situation....

"ok steve, that was good but aim this next one so it flies a little bit closer to my head alright?..."

jin

Matt
07-08-2008, 07:03 AM
1. you almost NEVER hear a real "silencer" (suppressor) in movies... they simply don't make that stereotypical "pwit pwit" sound. the best verbal description i've heard is it sounds like a car door slamming. you hear the action of the gun and a more "diffuse" discharge sound and i've read that some suppressor systems slow the bullet itself to prevent a sonic boom crack.

would love to get a nice clean .wav of suppressed gunshots but they're remarkably difficult to find for some reason. the suppressors are illegal but you wouldn't imagine that the sounds themselves are classified or something...

The only (TV) movie I've ever heard use a proper sounding silencer, and even makes a joke about how "it doesn't sound like it does in the movies" was in Billionaire Boys Club (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092659/)

Stooch
07-08-2008, 01:50 PM
I just watched wanted last night and it's by far the best movie to date...miles better than ironman.

I'll skip this one as it looks like a bad tv movie, but I did like the bit about a head up a butttt :hey:

Kuzey

reallly? I thought that wanted was overhyped. the acting by the protagonist in the beginning with his faux screams of terror were so comically bad that it kinda lowered the bar for the overall movie. the effects where ok, i thought it was a cheap kung-fu ripoff but with guns. ridiculous stunts that are so out of touch with reality they just look cheesy. bourne ultimatum is by far a better action movie. the only rewarding thing about wanted is a brief shot of angelinas bare ***.

hancock was a little under developed, but i definitelly had a good time. it felt a bit rushed though but had a nice feel to it, like it had some greater point to it. some kind of point.

now for me the gem of the summer so far has been wall-e

oh yeah the movie "the wackness" is screening in limited venues, i worked on that :) using maya and realflow.

-EsHrA-
07-08-2008, 02:20 PM
hey jakkar now tell us exactly what u did! hehe :)

mlon

Cageman
07-09-2008, 03:07 AM
hey jakkar now tell us exactly what u did! hehe :)

mlon

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=704496&postcount=66

Maybe he did more shots though... don't know. :)

Kuzey
07-09-2008, 07:09 AM
reallly? I thought that wanted was overhyped. the acting by the protagonist in the beginning with his faux screams of terror were so comically bad that it kinda lowered the bar for the overall movie. the effects where ok, i thought it was a cheap kung-fu ripoff but with guns. ridiculous stunts that are so out of touch with reality they just look cheesy. bourne ultimatum is by far a better action movie. the only rewarding thing about wanted is a brief shot of angelinas bare ***.

now for me the gem of the summer so far has been wall-e

I thought it was spot on...not over hyped like iron man, 300 or LOTR 2 & 3 etc. The pace of the movie was great..very cool action. It took me back to original Matrix movie, same kinda story really...but it had just enough to be different. There were no huge plot holes in it, which is a good change for once. Pretty solid movie over all in my view.

The Bourne movies are excellent, but they are a different kind of action movie :D

I can't wait to see wall-e.

Kuzey

Kuzey
07-09-2008, 07:54 AM
Ooooooh...talking about cool movies, I just found out they are making one on AstroBoy :thumbsup:

I hope it's super cool and what not :D

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/first-look-at-the-astroboy-cgi-movie/

Kuzey

starbase1
07-09-2008, 09:19 AM
The mass / super strength thing always gets me - It just looks too wrong, and bang goes my 'willing suspension of disbelief'.

Never mind, maybe in a few years the megabuck movie industry will learn the wisdom of the ancient masters. I refer, of course, to none other than Chuck Jones, and 'Roadrunner' cartoons.

Now there was a man with a deep understanding of mass and inertia!

Jim_C
07-09-2008, 09:24 AM

and a coyote!

Lottmedia
07-09-2008, 10:30 AM
Well, all aspects of story aside (which Hancock was sorely lacking) the CG was just plain bad. That's what Iron Man had going for it. I don't recall any major moments of knowing something was a CG shot in Iron Man. Hancock just looked like a Disney-Channel movie. Every time he did something "super" it looked bluescreen-y, the digital model of him was not animated well at all and all the CG just stood out as CG. It was impossible to enjoy, even if the story was any good, because the effects were so obvious.
The problem with Hancock was that it was just so aggressively mediocre, it wasn't even bad enough to walk out of. You always thought they might pull it together in a second (but they never did :( )

Casey :cat:

Cougar12dk
07-09-2008, 12:35 PM

Kuzey

The reason the sound arrives afterwards, is that the bullet is travelling faster than sound ie. 333m/sec or 1116ft/sec. But it doesn't arrive seconds later......the sounds emits like a cone from the rear of the bullet and of course if you're hit by the bullet, you'll hear the sound when it hits, not seconds later.

Here's a bit of data I found on the topic (there's more on the net of course, but I chose this one):
http://hypertextbook.com/facts/1999/MariaPereyra.shtml

COBRASoft
07-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Hey all,

Just saw the movie, it was good fun. Will Smith did it again :)

Greetings,
Sigurd

Iain
07-09-2008, 05:30 PM
I refer, of course, to none other than Chuck Jones, and 'Roadrunner' cartoons.

Chuck Norris doesn't understand mass and inertia, they unde-
oh Chuck Jones!

Anunnaki
07-09-2008, 05:41 PM
I go to see a movie to be entertained. If a movie depicted reality it would be boring. Hancock was a very entertaining movie. It was hilarous how he threw the whale and knocked the kid up in the air. Jeez, how many movies have been made where cars explode when they crash? Does that make the movie less entertaining because cars don't really explode like that? No it does not. I want to be wowed when I pay to see a movie. I personally think some people nit pick a bit too much.
If you want to nit pick about Hancock, there is one glaring ommission. He stated his name was John Hancock because the nurse asked him he to sign his John Hancock. Since he couldn't remember his name, he signed John Hancock. Now, when he meets up with his wife, wouldn't you want to know what your real name is? That is my nit pick. Who cares about physics.

Vincent D. Brumback

jin choung
07-09-2008, 06:35 PM
wow, speaking of coincidence, i just passed by charlize theron on my lunch break! haha, she was parked in the parking lot that our office parks in... i was like 6in. away in passing.

saw her coming from waaaaay far away too and i just figured, oh, it's a blonde chick and as she got closer and closer, i started squinting harder and harder... and at 6in. definitely her.

she was completely shut in from the outside world... eyes dead ahead like a robot. i guess she kinda has to.

interesting - as a hollywoodite, this is the closest to the biggest i've been.

jin

Jim_C
07-09-2008, 07:20 PM
she's hot (http://www.shinystyle.tv/Charlize%20Theron_Venice%20Film%20Festival.JPG)

:thumbsup: