PDA

View Full Version : Newtek, can you please put all your Lightwave Videos on iTunes.

SP00
07-06-2008, 05:44 PM
I was just thinking how cool it would be if newtek dumped all their videos onto iTunes. It would be searchable and if you have an iPhone, iTouch, or iPod Video, you can take it on the road without having to convert it. Plus, all my tutorial video would get a nice front-end interface.

cresshead
07-06-2008, 05:55 PM
better yet put it on youtube so EVERYONE can watch it..even iphone users!

geothefaust
07-06-2008, 08:12 PM
I'll second the youtube postings! I think that is an excellent idea Cress!

SP00
07-07-2008, 06:06 AM
The problem with Youtube is that the resolution is limited. On iTunes, it is off higher quality and you can download and take it on the road with you. Maybe if they have the resources, they can do both.

borkus
07-07-2008, 08:29 AM
there are already quite a few of william's vids on youtube. i had pm'ed chuck a while ago about it and never heard anything back. figured they probably didn't mind as they are free vids anyway and are probably getting more publicity out of it.

Matt
07-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Didn't Ben set up a YooToob account for LightWave?

MooseDog
07-07-2008, 08:07 PM
i asked/suggested that in another thread, but seemed to get shot down with the "the qualitysux" discussion.

i'll gladly :D repeat my thoughts: a lightwave "channel" on youtube is about networking and presence. put up say 20 tutorial vids, but include on your youtube page a direct link to the nt server with the high quality vids available, among other nt links. maybe even put the trial edition button on the same page. maybe, maybe.....point being there's lots of possibilities for marketing/sales.

SP00
07-07-2008, 09:33 PM
The iTunes University is a great initiative for learning. The reason why I suggest iTunes, it because it is free, and you can get HD downloads. Newtek can also play off the iTunes University Marketing.

archijam
07-08-2008, 04:29 AM
Rhino3D Miami started putting all of their short help videos on itunes, and I must say it's an invaluable resource.

Free Rhino Podcasts (launches iTunes) (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=135014831)

It works similar to an old bulletin board, where you have all the titles, and only need to download the ones you want...

Use it all the time. The hard work it already done, so why not put it out there? :thumbsup:

Surrealist.
07-08-2008, 07:33 AM
Agreed. On both Utube and Itunes and any other place you can find that is good. Not a bad thing to do IMHO.

JeffrySG
07-08-2008, 10:42 AM
While I don't use youtube very much, It would only help to get more LW resources out there to all people. I think having them on YT and iTunes would be a great idea! :)

Jim_C
07-08-2008, 01:55 PM
fwiw.. Youtube does allow for a higher quality upload and viewing now.
If you notice some of the clips will say 'View in High Quality' (or similar) in the lower right.
A few of them look really nice in full screen.

SP00
07-08-2008, 04:04 PM
That might be true, but there is still the issue of portability with Youtube that iTunes has an advantage over. I can download a series of video and watch it on my laptop in areas with no internet access.

Jim_C
07-08-2008, 04:50 PM
That might be true, but there is still the issue of portability with Youtube that iTunes has an advantage over.

Of course...
Just sayin.... :D

Lightwolf
07-08-2008, 04:54 PM
That might be true, but there is still the issue of portability with Youtube that iTunes has an advantage over.
Then again, Youtube can be used without iTunes...

Cheers,
Mike

Surrealist.
07-08-2008, 06:43 PM
That might be true, but there is still the issue of portability with Youtube that iTunes has an advantage over. I can download a series of video and watch it on my laptop in areas with no internet access.

The latest version of real player has a download add on for videos that work on Ytube. Firefox also sports one. Then there are a few free applications that will also convert those videos to any format you want.

I don't think it is an either or issue. There are many players other than itunes that support the same features of playlists libraries and so on as well.

If the idea is to get them out there, get them out there, any possible way. It can only help Newtek.

cresshead
07-08-2008, 11:00 PM

well you can already download those vids from, newtek's site so it's a null point on that really.

making vids available on itunes and youtube is more of a marketing thing than quality of video..it's getting the vids 'out there' on the public channels rather than having people drop by at newtek.com

SP00
07-10-2008, 06:24 AM
That is true, but I think iTunes offer a level of convenience that is better than going to newtek's site. Plus, it is easier for newtek to update, searchable, and organized with a interface that is very familiar to many users. It also auto downloads the newest videos as they appear. While using iTunes solely for newtek video might not be a good argument to use iTunes, I have multiple video podcast from many sites that I use. So not having to check 10 sites a day for the latest tutorial is very convenient, since iTunes can check them all in 1 step. It is just convenient to keep up to date on the latest video from multiple sources.

archijam
07-10-2008, 08:13 AM
In the end it's about getting LW 'out there'. As long as the main effort is contained to a few LW based forums and the NT website, who's going to be persuaded to join the crew?

itunes and youtube are just two very popular examples.

cresshead
07-10-2008, 08:30 AM
That is true, but I think iTunes offer a level of convenience that is better than going to newtek's site. Plus, it is easier for newtek to update, searchable, and organized with a interface that is very familiar to many users. It also auto downloads the newest videos as they appear. While using iTunes solely for newtek video might not be a good argument to use iTunes, I have multiple video podcast from many sites that I use. So not having to check 10 sites a day for the latest tutorial is very convenient, since iTunes can check them all in 1 step. It is just convenient to keep up to date on the latest video from multiple sources.

if you sign up for a youtube channel you also get notified of new content...and there's no 'cost' to host and deliver the videos from youtube either...:thumbsup:

also with youtube you have the opportunity to stumble over newtek's products if your a want to be artist looking/searching for a 3d app video.

both would be welcome additions to marketing lightwave now we have siggraph nearly upon us.:D

SP00
07-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Yes, this would be a nice move to make and advertise for Siggraph. :agree:

SplineGod
07-10-2008, 09:26 PM

Ive downloaded quite a few youtube videos and watched them on my laptop. :)

Thomas M.
07-11-2008, 12:12 AM
There's really no need to make Apple any more important than it already is. FLVs can be downloaded and viewed offline pretty easily. A link on the YouTube page to a quicktime format on NT's site is good for those who might want to see extra quality. I don't see any reason to sign up with Apple. And I would need to do that, wouldn't I?

Cheers
Thomas

Surrealist.
07-11-2008, 01:01 AM
No. You can download them here. :) i tunes is a great idea because it is popular. It is about getting the product out on established known avenues of communication, whatever they may be.

archijam
07-11-2008, 01:11 AM
There's really no need to make Apple any more important than it already is. FLVs can be downloaded and viewed offline pretty easily. A link on the YouTube page to a quicktime format on NT's site is good for those who might want to see extra quality. I don't see any reason to sign up with Apple. And I would need to do that, wouldn't I?

Cheers
Thomas

It could be exactly the same content as is here on the NT site.

However, it is indexed in a way which is far more useful than the youtube indexing, which assumes you know what you are looking for. Here I constantly find commands that I had no idea existed ...

For me it is just the perfect system for accessing these resources, regardless of apple's popularity.

See attached screen (just a fraction of the total).

cresshead
07-11-2008, 02:41 AM
it's not a case of choose one or the other it's a case of marketing lightwave to the FULL and putting them on BOTH!

newtek have new opportunities for more sales now that softimage have pulled out of the lower end price point market that they used to have with foundation...

for people looking into 3d apps lightwave is once again the top choice for a low entry price and good overall feature set

SP00
07-11-2008, 05:30 AM
Ive downloaded quite a few youtube videos and watched them on my laptop. :)

ooohh, please share. LOL.

FredyN
07-11-2008, 06:12 AM
I like .MOV, I can download them and check frame by frame the tutorial :)