PDA

View Full Version : ok so now what?

Oddgit
07-27-2003, 11:50 AM
i ordered my LightWave 8 update like a good little lightwave junkie :D but i have no idea what to do with the eyon software im getting, can i sell it on ebay? is there any place that would be better to sell it then eBay?

cremegg
07-27-2003, 01:24 PM
This again would be NewTeks dedication to the Macintosh platform i suppose. Why was no alternative promotion offered to Macintosh users? Would anyone from Newtek care to offer an answer?

LightWave maybe a Duo product but I don't currently use any PC systems and as I intend to purchase a G5 with the release of the second revision next year i doubt i'll be switching to or using a PC anytime soon.

Talk about a 'red rag to a bull' with the marketing Newtek.

luka
07-27-2003, 03:24 PM
I asked the same question when the promotion first came out? The new release of FCP 4 would be a perfect combination.

riki
07-27-2003, 05:31 PM
In the perfect world that might be the case but I think it probably takes an awlful lot of negotiating. Just pimp it on ebay, even if you get $150 it's better than nothing.

erk
07-30-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by riki
In the perfect world that might be the case but I think it probably takes an awlful lot of negotiating. Just pimp it on ebay, even if you get $150 it's better than nothing.

I was under the impression that it was locked to the same dongle as Lightwave, is that not the case?

Ge4-ce
07-31-2003, 02:23 AM
Well,...

I bought the version and my Eyeon box is still in Plastic.. You do not even get a lightwave printed manual with it.. To me, it looks like this is a DFX package with a free Lightwave version, since the lightwave CD+ dongle is pasted on the BIG Eyeon DFX box.. I also wanted to sell this software on Ebay, but.. I think it is linked to the same dongle, since there appear to be some barcodes and serialnumbers that appear on the LW cd AND on the DFX box. I have not opened the box because Then It would not be 'new' anymore and software still wrapped in plastic is worth more on ebay...

but I'm afraid it's linked to the same dongle, and you cannot sell software that does not work..

Ge4-ce

Ge4-ce
07-31-2003, 02:30 AM
Also,...

I read somewhere that you can buy a LW 8 convinience update for 99$..

this containing a printed manual and an update-cd.. I do not mind the download, but since I do not have a printed manual from the 7.5, I would like to have one from LW 8.. PDF's are cool, but.. ya know... slow.....

Ge4-ce

Oddgit
07-31-2003, 02:35 AM
i would love to have the book, that is one of the biggest reason why i buy software to begin with :) i guess ill be giving them a call.

Jimzip
07-31-2003, 06:38 AM
Yep. Good points.
Does the convenience offer have the upgrade CD and book?
Just get that then!

Or if not, maybe we could politely ask the NT marketing team to do another deal for Mac users, maybe remove DFX and lower the price a little more or something..
Let's not get flustered though, recent events got me too excited for that!

Jimzip :D

TyVole
07-31-2003, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Oddgit
i ordered my LightWave 8 update like a good little lightwave junkie :D but i have no idea what to do with the eyon software im getting, can i sell it on ebay? is there any place that would be better to sell it then eBay?

Some upgrade/DFX+ packages contain a dongle and some do not. If yours has a dongle, you can sell it. Otherwise, you're pretty much stuck unless you buy a PC. And even then, you'd have to keep switching the dongle between your Mac and PC.

You may also be able to buy a dongle from Eyeon, but I don't know for sure.

Ge4-ce
08-01-2003, 01:34 PM
So, Ok.. I did it..

I Opened the box.. and..

Yes! It contains a dongle!!! At least I think it does... It's not a USB dongle.. that's for sure.. it looks something like a small part that you can put on a pc's Printer-port.. something like SCSI.. and you can connect it through.. So I think it's a dongle..

So I can sell it!!! Whohoo.. It's worth 1800$ new! what should I ask for it?

I thought about asking 1000$ for starters.. probably too much.. but hey.. I recently sold my 3 years old G4 tower 450 Mhz with 22"studio display 30 GB HD 1 GB ram for 1700 euros!! (about the same in dollars) It's just the luck you need...

Aegis
08-01-2003, 01:42 PM
That's a parallel port dongle (similar to the ones LightWave used before it went USB).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but i don't think you'll get much for it on eBay - I recently tried selling mine for 400 ($640) and didn't get a single bidder - I dropped the price to 300 and it still didn't sell. I use a PC so in the end I decided to keep it (was loathe to let it go for any less).

Ge4-ce
08-01-2003, 01:53 PM
Well I know.. I certainly know that it is too much.. but ... there's a big 'but'.

1700 euros for my Mac was also way overprized... there were machines twice that fast selling for less.. you just have to be lucky to find someone who really needs this software but cannot afford the full version!

I personnally know some students who want to start their own business.. and want to switch to legal software..

If you can convince them..

Ya never know..

I'll keep you posted how this story ends :rolleyes: