PDA

View Full Version : A question from a newbie, please do not ignore!

mldaalder
07-27-2003, 07:37 AM
Hello,

First of all, I am making a game (called Science Fiction Career).

Second: this is my first post to this forum, and I am considering buying LightWave, but it depends if I can use it for this purpose:

I want to use the funtions of LightWave in other programs (like in Visual C++), like creating objects on the screen (with OpenGL), alright I can do this, but I want to use the functions to modify an object, like making a Slip Stream Corridor (from Star Trek), I have this tutorial: http://www.quantumss.freeserve.co.uk/QSS3D/Tut_Slip.html so I want to modify the object with the functions from LightWave to make such a thing. Is this possible?

The main reason why I don't make a mesh export it, and use it in my game is because I want to add random variables to the process (when entering the variables in the functions)

Sorry if I sound very unclear, I am not English after all, just ask and I will try making it more clear.

Thanks for your time,

mldaalder

Tom Speed
07-27-2003, 11:47 AM
Hi,

You can't call LW functions externaly. Though might be able to create a plugin that would communicate with a 3rd party program.

LW <--> Plugin <--> Your Program

Looking at the tutorial, you could use the LW SDK or maybe LScript to an extent, to aid in creating such objects and adding the 'randomness' you require.

Explain a little more if you can :)

Tom

mldaalder
07-28-2003, 04:25 AM
For those random values I mean random texture speeds for instance with this section:

Set the Texture size to (X, 2m) (Y, 9 cm) (Z, 9cm). Texture velocity : (X, 1mm) (Y, 10mm) (Z, 10mm) Click Use texture to return to the Main surfaces panel, now click the transparency T button. Select the Fractal noise texture and enter these values : Click for a larger version.

And because my game will contain (if I can make one) a Slip Stream Corridor (the tutorial makes one) and because the objects in my game move, then it would seem a little bit dump if the Slip Stream Corridor would stand still, and even more because in the series (Star Trek Voyager) they move.

Besides (sorry for (maybe) more dump questions) where can I get the SDK?
And does this contains tutorials on LScript?
And does LScript only work in LightWave or also in other things?

Thanks for your time and your fast reply,

jb_gfx
07-28-2003, 05:57 AM
it's dumb not dump.

Anyway I'm not sure you are looking on the right way.

Don't see Visual C++ as a simple program, it's a programing language before all. LightWave is just the place where you'll design your models and create their animations (along with Photoshop, etc...). To make it short LW, Photoshop are just here to help you making the visual part, they have nothing to deal with your game engine.

1st you need a game engine, for example the one used in Quake2 is avaibles for free (but there is a lot of other, just search the web).

2nd you really need to do more search about how a game is created and how it works because you are obviously missing the main purpose and lot of crucials infos.

As it looks like you are very new to this you may want to start with something simple to get the basics, for example you may try to make a few simple games in ShockWave or why not have a look at BlitzBasic (Tom Speed should have suggested that ;))

Good luck

PS: Yes LScript (Lightwave Script) will only works in LightWave, but really this is not what you are looking for.

mldaalder
07-28-2003, 10:54 AM
What I want, is to use the tools of LW in Visual C++ using the OpenGL 3D Engine.

And I am not new to programming (nor game making), I posses Visual Basic 6, basics in standard C++, basics in Python (well the Star Trek Bridge Commander version of it) and I am learning OpenGL. Untill now all my games where 2D.

So is there not a way to link to a dll file of Lightwave, so that I can use it's tools?

Maybe I need to simulate the functions of LW (recreating)...

Oh and I am sorry for the spelling error, I am not English after all so English is my second language.

Tom Speed
07-28-2003, 12:07 PM
Try baking the textures to a UV map, then animate (scroll) the UVs in your game engine.

mldaalder
07-28-2003, 01:15 PM
That might be a solution, but such a thing doesn't has random factors apart for speed...

jb_gfx
07-28-2003, 05:41 PM
Ok ok my bad :)

"So is there not a way to link to a dll file of Lightwave, so that I can use it's tools?"

Well I don't really get the point there because if you use LW's dll you won(t be able to distribute your game (LightWave's source code and by extension dlls are the propriety of Newtek). Also LightWave is not really optimised compared to recent (or even some old) 3D engines for the game market, your final product would be slow as hell.

You should really looking into your game engine's SDK (I assume you found one yet), after all, animating a texture is a really classic feature.

mldaalder
07-29-2003, 04:04 AM
Ah pity, then I need to make my own morphing tools and such.

About the speed isue, I have a feeling that my game will be for the 5GHz+ processor and a Radeon 12000 and a 10GB Swap area. Mainly because I am trying to implent real time Material simulation in it (like realtime cloth simulation, stress on Iron, paper, but also skin, bones nerves).

And I am already able to animate textures using several ways.

Thanks for your time,

mldaalder
07-29-2003, 04:04 AM
Double post, sorry