PDA

View Full Version : pb

robk
07-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Here is a still from my work in progress.
The playfield is just a picture I got off the web. I will be replacing with my own custom graphic as well as adding more 3d details before rendering the full animation

robk
07-04-2008, 04:51 PM
Her are the two other shots I also did the other day

Iain
07-16-2008, 07:59 AM
I love the lighting in this Robk. Very Maxwell-like.

I know it's not fully textured but if it had a seamless edge texture around the inner rim, it would be much more convincing.

robk
07-16-2008, 08:33 AM
I love the lighting in this Robk. Very Maxwell-like.

I know it's not fully textured but if it had a seamless edge texture around the inner rim, it would be much more convincing.

The map on the board sufaces are only a temporary image from the web. I am still working on the final playfield graphics. I tried a full 1280x720 animation of the model you see the images from and I was very happy with the results. i hope I can complete before the deadline. Not worried about winning, just want to display some of my stuff at siggraph. I did the pinball with lightwave dynamics and moved the camera all over the place. I will have to choose 15 seconds from the 30 seconds I have animated.

Thanks for the comments.

robk
07-16-2008, 09:44 AM
Here is a halfsize video from which the earlier shots were taken.
A bunch of things to correct. The side rails don't even appear till about 1/4 way through the animation. (I will also be fixing the side texture that Ian talked about). The dynamics were done with simple objects which are hidden from the camera and after I built the pop-up bumpers I realized I have to make them smaller. Also the pinball itself is not the right diameter. After changing these things and redoing the dynamics I will also have to completely redo the camera path which in itself is flaky at best.

Mitja
07-16-2008, 10:13 AM
Very cool animation! Camera movements are really nice!
Keep it up!

Thomas M.
08-08-2008, 08:02 AM
Looks very realistic. Can you tell us a bit how you set up the dynamics and how you combined the dynamics with the flipper movement? Did you slice the dynamics till they reached the flipper and then started a new calculation?

What I didn't like about the anim is that you didn't use the camera angles 3D overs you, but went for a birds point of view. Otherwise it looks pretty cool.

Cheers
Thomas

robk
08-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Looks very realistic. Can you tell us a bit how you set up the dynamics and how you combined the dynamics with the flipper movement? Did you slice the dynamics till they reached the flipper and then started a new calculation?

I didn't know anything about dynamics when I started this so I stared out studying William Vaughn's cereal animation tutorial. Then I did some tests on how to use hard FX for the ball and how to make collision objects. For the pinball animation I used all that I had learn't. At first I made my collision objects too hi-res and when I calculaded the dynamincs I was getting a different path for the ball each time. So I simplified the geomerty I used for the dynamics calculations and then got consistant results. I dropped the ball at different locations on the table untill I got the results I wanted. The low res collision geometry was set to 100% disolve and replaced with high res non collision objects.
To get all the collisons and movement looking good takes a bit of tweaking of things like the gravity value and the bounce effect of the collision objects.
I would just tweak a value then do a recalculate. (I was working from a 900 frame animation and it only took a minute or so to recalculate or abort with the CTRL key.) A lot of times my ball would streak off into cyberspace if it got bouncing around too fast.

I will try to zip up my scene and post it so people can play around with it.
In layout just pick the ball object and got to it's property panel and then go to calculate. I learned out how to save the dynamic fterwards so i didn't have to do the calculations every time I loaded the project.

robk
08-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Here is the project scene and objects. I beleive you will have to delete the ball.bdd file in the motions directory if you want to change and do a recalculate where the ball drops and alter the course of the ball.
I had meant to add sounds and flashing lights (did the lights thing but the pop up bumbers are all clones so if I changed the luminosity one one it changed it for all and it looked hokey)
Oh yes if forgot. I just keyframed the flippers to match the ball movement. The actual collison object flippers don't move at all.

Have fun playing with it.

Thomas M.
08-08-2008, 11:20 AM
Wow! Now, that's cool that you share this stuff. Thanks!