PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave and Quidam

Paul_Boland
07-03-2008, 01:06 PM
Hi Folks.

I'm currently testing the demo version of Quidam 2 and have obtained a sample model exported from it using the Lightwave exporter for Quidam. For creating 3D people, it's very impressive and the exported model works great, fully rigged and all with a skeleton for animation. I am seriously considering investing in Quidam but would just like to get any feedback from anyone who already has it, good or bad? Also, is it worth going for the Pro Studio version or will just the standard version do for the regular home 3D hobbiest?

tyrot
07-03-2008, 01:50 PM
dear Paul

i am using it since first version. It is really great, smoothing and LW export awesome.

of course SplineGod will write soon...makehuman but i just cannot recommend enough Quidam2..

I have full version...and i dont need any other Human Model Libraries anymore..

Invest it, you wont regret...Plus LowPoly export simply amazing....And n-sided team is really cool...

Best

Cougar12dk
07-03-2008, 04:50 PM
What's the homepage of it? I googled Quidam 2 but all I came up with were a bunch of warez sites :(

*EDIT* Never mind :) I found it *EDIT*

Sekhar
07-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Tyrot, would you mind posting an exported rigged low poly human? Looks like the Quidam demo won't let us do that, so we can't really test it with LW.

SplineGod
07-03-2008, 11:58 PM
If youre just doing hobbyist work I would seriously consider Tyrots suggestion of using Makehuman. Its free and does a pretty good job.
Also they have collada export which means LW should be able to load it up with skeleton pretty soon. :)

prometheus
07-04-2008, 09:09 AM
make human is free and nice, quidam is at another level thou and it costs.
simply put it if you can afford it...get it.

I did a little review and maybe you have seen it, and I was just testing the demo so it probably won´t give any answers about other rigs and models since I havent tested that.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84470&highlight=quidam
Michael

Paul_Boland
07-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Prometheus, thanks for the link to the review, interesting to see another persons point of view. I can tell you that the exported model I obtained from N-Sided after signing their contract (why thry don't have a sample model for all to download, I don't understand), is great. It's full rigged with a skeleton down to the fingers, eyes, toes, etc. If this is the type of stuff you can pull out of Quidam at the click of a button, I'm really impressed. After years of working with Poser 5 and having problems exporting the models without skeletons, Quidam really has caught my attention.

I have taken a look at Make Human and am impressed but it doesn't seem to have the same pazazz as Quidam and the models look rough around the edges.

While I'm impressed with the same model, I can't test the low polygon model export so yes, Tyrot, would you be able to post a low polygon rigged model so we can take a look and see how it compares to the high polygon version? Having said that, to get this feature you have to buy the Studio version and it's a considerable price hike so I may just stick with the standard version.

Still testing, there are a few quirks I'm not over fond of at the moment, but if you can export fully rigged models from Quidam to Lightwave, it certainly has my attention.

tyrot
07-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Dear paul

there you go...3000-4000 per model (quads) you can even optimize more...

You may use your own textures easily..Quidam's texture paint tools also very nice.. I already 3D modelled some of my clients...and put them inside of a pool with lots of Quidam girls..

Best

Paul_Boland
07-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Thanks, Tyrot. Interesting to see that although low polygon, the features are still there. Think what I'll do is I'll buy Quidam standard initially and from there, see if I have a need for the Studio version.

tyrot
07-05-2008, 01:14 PM
dear paul

my friend..i didnt purchase Low poly access for a long time and that long time was the most stupid time i ever managed to create. If you can efford ..go for studio...otherwise you will have only Poserlike models, they will be just rigged for you.....quidam's power is in LowPoly.....embrace it :)

best

Sekhar
07-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Just saw an N-Sided video on low poly features (with an interesting accent) - http://www.sharecg.com/v/24955/video-tutorial/Low-Poly-features-of-QUIDAM-Studio. Looks like you can reduce poly count from imported high poly models too. Did you try this, Tyrot?

Again, Tyrot (or anyone else who has the Studio version): would very much appreciate if you could post a low poly exported model (not screen shot) that we can check out for quality. If you could also include a high poly version, we could compare as well. Thanks much.