PDA

View Full Version : Out of Memory?

RndrMn
07-03-2008, 06:27 AM
I'm rendering an architectural walk thru of about 1000 frames. After 300 frames or so I get the message "Frame buffer failed, Image Duplication failed, Out of memory". This happens whether I'm exporting to an animation or a still sequence. I have 3 Gb of RAM. Is this a common problem and can it be fixed?

Sensei
07-03-2008, 06:52 AM
What image size?
It could mean that memory space after 300 successfully rendered frames is so much fragmented that it cannot anymore allocate enough one continuous memory..

Dexter2999
07-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Are you rendering as an image sequence? Or are you trying to save as an anim?

jburford
07-03-2008, 09:28 AM
Also, do you have the 3GB Switch set on your system? Do a check thru the Threads for this and you will have a good background information on it to help.

RndrMn
07-03-2008, 09:31 AM
Either output gives me the same result

RndrMn
07-03-2008, 09:34 AM
What do you mean by doing a check thru the Threads? I have dual Quad Xeon Processors and have the theads on the render tab set to 8.

CC Rider
07-05-2008, 09:09 AM
What do you mean by doing a check thru the Threads? I have dual Quad Xeon Processors and have the theads on the render tab set to 8.

He meant to check the forum threads to find info on setting up the 3GB switch in your Boot.ini file to increase memory allocation to LW.

This assumes you are running 32bit Windows XP...

To do this, find your Boot.ini file on your C:\ drive and make this change to the file:
This line or something close to it should already be there
(make sure you don't edit this part of it)

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

add this to the end of the line above:
/3GB /userva=2750

The end result will look like this:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /3GB /userva=2750

The "/3GB" reference allocates 3GB of memory instead of the standard 2GB of memory to applications.
The "/userva=2750" section is optional and allows you to tweek it to slightly less than 3GB in case you have a video card with a lot of memory which may make your system act a little flakey.

You need to have a full 4GB of physical system memory before using this switch though! If you give programs 3GB of ram and all you have is 3GB, then there is nothing left for the OS to use. you will have a very unhappy system in this case!

I use this swich on all my machines and they work great!

Good luck
:D

Goldfinger
10-02-2008, 09:27 AM
RndrMn

Did you find a solution to this problem? Since upgrading to 9.5 I get the out of memory msg even on low res animations, just done a quickshade test and it only managed 60 frames! I have 4 gigram, xeon, win xp 32, nvidia 1700.

I'll try the 3GB switch....

Goldfinger
10-14-2008, 05:43 AM
I've done the 3GB switch and I'm still getting the Frame Buffer Limit error...is this a bug?...I didn't have the problem with 9.3.1...any thoughts?...did you find a solution RndrMn?

Tobian
10-14-2008, 06:41 AM
Ahh no what's happening here is you have left your preview active. You want to disable the render display - set it to none. What's happening is your memory is filling up with images in the preview buffer, instead of just saving them all to disk. I did that myself - felt daft :D

Goldfinger
10-14-2008, 07:21 AM
Thanks Tobian I'll switch the preview off:thumbsup: I'm sure it was not a problem in 9.3:)

Tobian
10-14-2008, 07:23 AM
No it's always been an issue. I didn't have 9.5 when I got that error, I had 9.3.1 - if you think about it - preview renders are held in memory.. how could any version of LW be different?