PDA

View Full Version : Maxwell (not Robert)

StOuen
07-03-2008, 02:27 AM
I am gonna give the demo of Maxwell a go and was wondering if there are any users out there who use Lightwave and Maxwell and how they are getting on. On the face of it, Maxwell looks easy to use but what are render times like? Any info appreciated. :thumbsup:

Mitja
07-03-2008, 02:32 AM
Maxwell looks easy to use but what are render times like? Any info appreciated. :thumbsup:
It is indeed quite easy to use (when you learn).
render times are ....huge. No, wait, far more than huge!

StOuen
07-03-2008, 02:34 AM
It is indeed quite easy to use (when you learn).
render times are ....huge. No, wait, far more than huge!

Blimey! Thanks for the prompt reply. Cheers! :beerchug:

3dworks
07-03-2008, 07:13 AM
i'm doing lots off commercial work with maxwell in combination with LW and i'm very happy with it. most of the times my clients have no problems to wait even 2 more days for the final renderings if they see the quality they get.

of course, you need a good hardware setup to render in decent times, if not your experience will be rather frustrating with it. my own findings are that one 8 core macpro at 2.8 ghz can render a rather complex interior (lots of glass) at 3000 x 1500 pixel in around 24 h at a very reasonable noise level. exteriors are, of course much faster (but it all depends very much on the scenes and your skills), even 6 h are possible at this resolution.

in any case, the big advantage is that you can resume a rendering at any time and tweak lights and tonemapping during and after rendering without quality loss. currently, i'm using maxwell for all high end renderings with one image on 2 eightcore machines in network rendering mode.

a very critical point is that your models need to be well done (precise and 'watertight' volumes), as maxwell, like any other GI engine, is not really tolerating 'leaks' or non solid models very much. no crashes, but no correct light distribution is happening in this case.

to sum it up: once you worked out your workflow and have a nice materials base, the longer time you have to wait for a maxwell rendering is easily compensating the tweaking time when using complex GI setups. but: each job has it's ideal tool - so, for more time critical missions, fprime or kray can be a very good option as well, and animations are anyway still out of reach for this technology (unless you have access to a very huge render farm!).

my 2 cents

markus

StOuen
07-04-2008, 08:37 AM
Thanks Markus. Yea, just been trying it and whoo hoo!! Think I will be sticking to lightwave for the foreseeable. Will be keeping an eye on Maxwell. And Kray for that matter.

Thanks again!