PDA

View Full Version : Bicycle

MooseDog
07-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Not exactly high-art, but hopefully just a nice presentation. Everythings pretty much all set for a simple semi-turntable of this custom-designed bike. Thinking along the lines of a web-based product presentation.

An alternative would be to have the terrain barely reach up to the axles, giving the impression of strength and size to the product.

The still below is the raw render with some minor! c.c. and a bg inserted.

c&c appreciated:thumbsup:, there's some really nice artwork going on here.

MooseDog
07-03-2008, 06:09 AM
An alternative would be to have the terrain barely reach up to the axles, giving the impression of strength and size to the product.

hey, now there's a good idea:D success:

RollerJesus
07-03-2008, 07:49 AM
Hey Moose, nice bike. Coming from a pretty avid rider, if I was thinking aobut gettgin on that bike I'd have a couple concerns...

The most important would be how the spindle that goes through the bottom bracket extends out past the crank arms. This should terminate with a crank bold flush with the crank arm.

The pedals look a bit out of proportion (large), even for platforms.

I think that drilling/slotting the brake disks would help sell them.

Those look like 25 spoke wheels, I would crush them in a day of hard riding, except I moved to Florida and it's flat here, so they would probably due... :)

The brake levers are too big, on a bike like this, you want small and strong.

Shifters like this are also impractical on a bike where you're doing a lot of straining on the grips as they tend to shift at inopportune times.

Getting there!

Patrick

MooseDog
07-03-2008, 08:13 AM
The most important would be how the spindle that goes through the bottom bracket extends out past the crank arms. This should terminate with a crank bold flush with the crank arm.

thx patrick:thumbsup: while i'm not a biker i was an avid motocrosser back in the day, and the overall concept is based on my old mx bike designs. so...if i understand right, your referring to where the pedals go through the frame? a solution with the current model would be a recessed bolt holding the pedals to the crank spindle. make sense?

The pedals look a bit out of proportion (large), even for platforms.....The brake levers are too big, on a bike like this, you want small and strong.

fixing now!

Shifters like this are also impractical on a bike where you're doing a lot of straining on the grips as they tend to shift at inopportune times.

i should make it more evident somehow, but those are not twist-grip shifters. there's a thumb switch there meant to represent the shifting mechanism.

i'll see what i can do. conceptually i copied an old practice from my enduro days when we would use solid discs for muddy days as they are less prone to collecting dirt in the holes and grinding down the brake pads (and easier to model:D ). i don't know if that's much the case anymore.

much appreciated:thumbsup:

meshpig
07-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Hey Moose, nice bike. Coming from a pretty avid rider, if I was thinking aobut gettgin on that bike I'd have a couple concerns...

The pedals look a bit out of proportion (large), even for platforms.

Those look like 25 spoke wheels, I would crush them in a day of hard riding, except I moved to Florida and it's flat here, so they would probably due... :)

The brake levers are too big, on a bike like this, you want small and strong.

Getting there!

Patrick

M

The shock is trustworthy, the set-up is convincing. I guess people look at different aspects but that would be a major focal point for me.

m

RollerJesus
07-07-2008, 07:13 AM
Moose, sorry about the poor spelling in my previous post, I had one foot out the door when I was writing it.

I can definately see the moto influence and I really like bikes that are "over-constructed" and this one seems to be...

a solution with the current model would be a recessed bolt holding the pedals to the crank spindle. make sense?

Yeah, you have the idea there. Take a look at the attacehd picture of what I consider to be the king-of-cool when it comes to this type of bike. (Free ride) You can see that the pedal is attached to the crank arm, which is attached to the bottom bracket with a recessed bolt. This is a common customized piece as well much like the saw-blade disc brakes in the image.

Best of luck with the contest!

ejo3rd
07-07-2008, 01:17 PM
Check out www.chumbaracing.com for some good reference material.
Awesome bikes!

MooseDog
07-07-2008, 08:19 PM
thx for the linx and pics. very! helpful stuff.

updates (i'll post a render when my surfacing is a bit improved:hey:) but the disc brakes now have holes in them (and they're still 100% quads!), the pedal cranks are now bolted on!

(the forks i made btw were referenced on this:

http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com/products.html )