PDA

View Full Version : UV best practice

Otterman
07-02-2008, 09:38 AM
I get irritated to hell when working with UV maps, usually i get by but only after wrestling with my polygons to achieve the desired results.

The main issue i have is having to scale polygons so that the image doesnt become distorted. Modler always assumes that the image is square in format.

Any tips on how to combat this.....its painful on my head :bangwall:

zardoz
07-03-2008, 03:41 AM
I don't know if I understand what your saying but maybe creating a square and make it just a bit bigger than your mesh, and then making the uv may do the trick.

meshpig
07-03-2008, 04:06 AM
You can manually assign proportions when you make the map to begin with so modeler assumes nothing.

The gyst of which is you know what you want and the software doesn't: Unweld first and you can freely scale individual polys up or down as you like etc.

m

Surrealist.
07-03-2008, 05:46 AM
I get irritated to hell when working with UV maps, usually i get by but only after wrestling with my polygons to achieve the desired results.

The main issue i have is having to scale polygons so that the image doesnt become distorted. Modler always assumes that the image is square in format.

Any tips on how to combat this.....its painful on my head :bangwall:

The Texture Guide is a better tool than modeler's Make UV's when it comes to keeping things the relative size and proportion even in the planar mode and the camera mode is great for odd angles. If you check Make UVs it is interactive which is an extra plus. There is even a third party free plugin that I hear is even better. But keep in mind the TG does not generate Subpatch UVs. You have to change that after the fact in the Vertex Maps panel (F8) if your object is subpatched.

Otterman
07-04-2008, 05:47 AM
Cheers guys...some good tips but i guess its my workflow thats at fault. I just dont find applying uvs in lightwave that intuitive.

Only three things i need to do......Practice, practice and practice

Surrealist.
07-04-2008, 06:35 AM
What is your workflow?

Otterman
07-04-2008, 06:55 AM
I go about creating a uv map by selecting polygons around the area my image needs to go. Then scale-stretch these in the uv texture window until the image looks right in size and in proportion. I get there eventually but it can be very painful waiting for modeler and openGL to catch up.

Again, i have problems maintaining the original image proportions this coupled with the huge poly heavy models im working with....its a really ball ache.

I think using Zardonz'z'ez suggestion of creating a square and make it just a bit bigger than the mesh might be worth investigating. Dunno?

zardoz
07-04-2008, 08:28 AM
for some stuff it works fine at least to stay with the proportions right. But now I use a lot the plg plugin tools and they usually do the trick.

Surrealist.
07-05-2008, 06:09 AM
I go about creating a uv map by selecting polygons around the area my image needs to go. Then scale-stretch these in the uv texture window until the image looks right in size and in proportion. I get there eventually but it can be very painful waiting for modeler and openGL to catch up.

Again, i have problems maintaining the original image proportions this coupled with the huge poly heavy models im working with....its a really ball ache.

I think using Zardonz'z'ez suggestion of creating a square and make it just a bit bigger than the mesh might be worth investigating. Dunno?

That trick you don't need if you use the texture guide. I have not used the plg plus yet but I understand they are nice.

Your biggest problem I think is your work flow here.

That is a hard way to go. Your UV map editing should be pretty much limited to 1) getting the selections to the the correct proportions and 2) placing them within the map in an efficient way.

Then you do your work in the photo or paint program of your choice. It is much better to paint and scale the image to match the map that the other way around.

As long as the map is not distorted in the first place - tips we have given you - then for most things you are good to go.

If you have to tweak something here or there, OK, but that should not be the backbone of your work flow. That is, from my experience anyway, so maybe that will help you. If not, perhaps give some more information and maybe we can point you in the right direction.