PDA

View Full Version : LSCM UV's - Trying to make a die cut template

JGary
07-01-2008, 11:11 PM
I've been working on some pattern designs that will be printed onto a half-sphere shaped object using in-mold decorating. The challenge is figuring out how to make a UV mapping template that will allow the patterns to be printed flat and then wrap perfectly around the half-sphere shape. The only solution I'm currently testing is using LSCM (Least square conformal map) UV's via the plg_Make_UV_Edit plugin. See image -

Trouble is...I'm unsure if this calculation leaves the distance between each face relative to one another the same as the source object. For reference, take a look at the attached image below -

Let's say the distance of the yellow highlighted area is 30" (left image). If I make that distance the same on the texture image (right image), then print it, cut it out, and wrap it around the half-sphere, should it work?

If this will not work using LSCM mapping, does anyone have suggestions on how to do this? Is there specialized software for generating mapping coordinates like this...something that is used in industrial design?

Any help/suggestions very much appreciated on this one!

JGary
07-02-2008, 01:50 PM
I forgot to mention that I found some Nasa Mars images that use the same mapping type.

http://astrogeology.usgs.gov/Gallery/MapsAndGlobes/mars.html

From the link -
"A specialized program was used to create the "flower petal" appearance of the images; the area of each petal from 0 to 75 degrees latitude is in the Transverse Mercator projection, and the area from 75 to 90 degrees latitude is in the Lambert Azimuthal Equal-Area projection."

The Mars layout has 12 "petals". I ran the LSCM plugin using the same number and when overlaying my results on the Mars images they were identical. We also have a half-globe example printed with the in-mold process that uses the exact same mapping. So, I guess I know it works for the 12 petal pattern at least. We have to go with 8 because of cutouts on the surface of the object. I would think that going with 8 petals and having less seams may cause more distortion and inacuracy compared to using 12.