View Full Version : Chicken Or Egg?

Ty Catt
07-01-2008, 10:12 AM
Alright everyone,

I need some professional opinions.

When selecting charcters for rigging purposes in your projects do you:

Select clothed models...
Select nude models and clothe them...
Select models with "layered" (as in multiple layers in Modeler) clothing?

1. Pre-clothed models can be tricky, particularly when we have client particulars about types of clothing.

2. Nude characters are hard to clothe for me. Really hard.

3. Layered clothing models have skin "poking through" the clothing at different stages of posing.

I am assuming Cloth Dyanmics comes into play here- I understand the concepts, just really confused where to start.:help:

Thanks,

Tyler

hrgiger
07-01-2008, 05:24 PM
I generally build the model clothed. Normally there's no need to remove the clothing so why have separate pieces?

On the other hand, you could model the character nude, then model the clothing, then delete the parts of the model underneath the clothing that might poke through and aren't going to be showing anyway. Of course, you should make a copy of your original nude model first to preserve it.

Generally, I find it easiest to model the clothing by copying parts of the original model, pasting them to a new layer, and then creating the clothing from that. Not only does it make it easier to fit the clothing to your model, but it also allows for similar weighting (enveloping) which will keep penetration of different layers to a minimum or eliminate it altogether.

Steamthrower
07-01-2008, 07:32 PM
In my extremely limited experience (all of my character work is merely personal fun, I rarely have the need so far to use it in a job) I have found that your first option, modeling the clothes with the body, is my favorite method. Animated characters rarely change clothing, and if so then you just pop the body parts over and join them into a new mesh.

I've sometimes had the need though for loose flowing clothing, then I will model a nude body and use ClothFX to create the cape/dress/robes/seersucker suit or whatever. It's a pain in the rear though, and is hard to work with in Layout.

Giacomo99
07-02-2008, 06:40 AM
FYI, Cloth Dynamics is too complex to use for something like this. As far as I know it doesn't solve in real-time, which, among other headaches, makes it really annoying to use.

There is no easy approach to creating clothed human figures in 3D. If you're not experienced in this (and it sounds like you're not), the only workable solution in terms of labor and expertise is to buy clothed models (from http://www.doschdesign.com/ or elsewhere) and retrofit them to your needs. Good luck.

Ty Catt
07-02-2008, 07:59 AM
Thanks for all of your replies, they have been most helpful.

I will take a crack at creating some clothing myself, but in the end, probably the right thing to do is purchase some more models!

Thanks again!

Tyler