PDA

View Full Version : Massive Enveloping/ Entire surface makeover

Skinner3D
06-30-2008, 04:20 PM
I have a surfacing boredom buster that I am working on, but I need help. I have one model and I am going to animate it walking, but while it is doing that the surface, texture and base mesh are all going to change.

I currently have it surfaced to look really cold with frost particles coming off. How many steps would I have to go through to get it to completely change? I know about enveloping, but I have lots of surface properties to change, and then on top of that I also used Nodes.

:help:

BlueApple
06-30-2008, 04:28 PM
I would make two materials using two material nodes. The first material would be your frost material and the second would be the material you want it to change to. Plug these two materials into the material mixer node. It's then up to you how you want to drive the change between the two. You could just envelope a value, or you could use a gradient, position relative to a null, etc.

Here is a link (http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57400&d=1207752785) to a node setup with two materials. You would want to remove the weight map and drive the mix with something else.

GregMalick
06-30-2008, 07:47 PM
Assuming the texturing is very complex and you don't want to disturb it:

Make a copy of the object and bring it into the scene and copy the motions.
Then use Object Dissolve in the ObjectProperties/Render tab to fade in the new object during the render while fading out the old object.

just another option.

toby
06-30-2008, 11:25 PM
There is also the Surface Mixer in the shader tab of the surface editor, if you're not using nodes. Lots of blend options there too.

wp_capozzi
07-01-2008, 01:30 AM
Don't forget about post production. If you have something like Fusion or After Effects, you could render the overlapping segments out of LW and composite them with some nice filters and effects.