PDA

View Full Version : Edge dissolve

KSTAR
06-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Is there a way to dissolve the edges on a object when edges are set in the object panel?

I have a flat shaded character Luminosity 100 diffuse 0 that I have unshared edges checked on in object/edge tab. The problem is when I dissolve the character the object dissolves as it should but the edges don't? There is no envelope option. So what I get is a outline that pops off once the object dissolve reaches 100% which is not the desired result

Is there any work around or this a limit of the edges options. Any idea for a outline node that now becomes a surface property?

Surrealist.
06-30-2008, 11:00 PM
I am not sure what the solution for this is.

But have you seen this database (http://www.lwplugindb.com/Search.aspx)? It is quite extensive.

One thing you could do is UV map the object and use an image with a thin line around the edges. William did a video on this technique. It would be in tips and tricks section. The same image could be an alpha to let any surface attributes come through.

But I think you are right, there is probably a slick node solution too.

jameswillmott
06-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Sounds like a bug...

digefxgrp
06-30-2008, 11:33 PM
I’d either render out the object as a separate pass and do the dissolves in a comp program or like Surrealist suggested, render a still image of your hero object (with outline), then UV map that back onto the geometry. Note-If using the UV method, also set you BG color to your edge color to eliminate any AA issues…plus it will help cover any possible misalignments that might arise.
I’ve used both methods and either way works great.:thumbsup: