PDA

View Full Version : LW 9.5 Out of Beta

DustinBrown
06-30-2008, 09:51 AM
So what's the word on the street as to when LW 9.5 is going to get released from beta? I'd like to start using it at work, but there isn't a snowflake's chance in heck I'm doing that until it's an official, stable release. I mean...who uses a beta at work? No one, that's who.

- Dustin

BlueApple
06-30-2008, 09:57 AM
There has been no statement as to when 9.5 will be released as far as I know.

If you can't wait to use it, you may want to sign up for open beta. You can still use 9.3 for work, and start experimenting with 9.5.

DustinBrown
06-30-2008, 10:33 AM
I've got a feeling that it won't ever leave the open beta. They'll just release v10 :)

UnCommonGrafx
06-30-2008, 11:03 AM
There are many that will read this thread and rightly chuckle away...

I am doing so with said observation...

DustinBrown
06-30-2008, 11:29 AM
Heh, yeah, I just know that point releases and such are often mismanaged. I can just imagine three rubenesque dudes with Babylon 5 tshirts that can't agree on how these things should be organized, so they each do their own thing. Consistency, consistency, my kingdom for some consistency! This is even true of Autodesk. I have an Autodesk subscription for 3ds max, and the site for the subscription isn't very intuitive.

- Dustin

UnCommonGrafx
06-30-2008, 01:16 PM
Then truly, wouldn't it be more trolling?

IF you have nine, you have access. Take them up on their version of the CUP; obviously you have the werewithal to participate in such a thing as NT's program with purposeful feedback.

I believe and have experienced software development as the management of chaos at its best. Not the point when working with software on the user side.
The phrase, "Who cares?", comes to mind.

Weetos
06-30-2008, 01:22 PM
IF you have nine, you have access. Take them up on their version of the CUP; obviously you have the werewithal to participate in such a thing as NT's program with purposeful feedback.
The problem is that he can't use beta for production - this would be like playing russian roulette - Playing with beta is ok, working may not

DustinBrown
06-30-2008, 01:38 PM
Well, when I think back I can recall some pretty important point releases in the various software I use on a daily basis to earn a living. I'm talking about software updates that can make or break a production pipeline, depending on the severity of the bug. Who cares? I care. What I absolutely do not care about is the particular logistics involved in my software OEM providing me with a good end-user experience. I can empathize but, as a customer, I won't burden myself with actually caring. I just want it to happen. I pay them, not the other way around. If I went to one of my clients and tried to explain to them that they weren't going to get the latest working version of their animation because I had esoteric technical issues on my end, it wouldn't go over too well. We can go back and forth on this all day - you playing devil's advocate and me playing the disgruntled customer - but it's not going to accomplish anything. All I'm saying is that I wish point releases were handled better; that's all. And, as I mentioned, it's not even a NewTek-specific thing. So it's not like I'm bashing NewTek or anything. On the contrary, considering their size and resources I think they do pretty darn good.