PDA

View Full Version : Did Newtek drug the OGO (Taiki/Hikari) devloper and bring him back to the states?

pixelmonk
07-26-2003, 04:59 PM
Anyone know if Newtek scooped him up? I messed with the Taiki beta till I was blue in the face and he stopped development all together. There was a rumor he may have stopped due to Newtek picking him up. True?

riki
07-26-2003, 07:12 PM
Would be a definate plus, maybe ask Newtek.It's probably not something they'd keep the lid on.

pixelmonk
07-26-2003, 07:17 PM
I am asking Newtek in a way. It's better than posting on CGTalk.

;)

DeadMan
07-26-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by pixelmonk
Anyone know if Newtek scooped him up? I messed with the Taiki beta till I was blue in the face and he stopped development all together. There was a rumor he may have stopped due to Newtek picking him up. True?

Lets hope not.

Maybe Newtek could just buy some of his algorithms (which they could greatly improve) or consult with him. His plugins are non user-friendly and incredibly slow.

riki
07-26-2003, 08:29 PM
Mmm I wouldn't know, since I'm on a Mac.

cgolchert
07-27-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by DeadMan
Lets hope not.

Maybe Newtek could just buy some of his algorithms (which they could greatly improve) or consult with him. His plugins are non user-friendly and incredibly slow.

That is kinda arrogant. if they could do better why haven't they?

As for slow...all you saw was a beta for a basically free plugin (at the most it cost $30) Plus you are tracing rays for every pixel in the render.

jb_gfx
07-27-2003, 03:42 PM
Nah, Hikari isn't in beta stage, only Taiki is. And both plugins are ultraslow with a comptletly non user friendly interface/settings.

cresshead
07-27-2003, 04:09 PM
how about a link and info to just what the heck your all on about!!!

steve g:D :D :D

pixelmonk
07-27-2003, 04:09 PM
Scientists and programmers are hardly GUI developers. He needs help is all. I wouldn't NOT use his stuff just because of that. Sometimes people are too lazy to figure things out.

TyVole
07-27-2003, 07:12 PM
And let's please not forget -- he's Japanese -- he doesn't speak English.

Language and culture have a strong influence on interface and workflow.

pixelmonk
07-27-2003, 07:29 PM
To add to that... his plugins are more physically accurate than LW's renderer and possibly OTHER renderers that have gained a cult following over the past 2-3 years, hence the reason for speed issues. Also, I'm sure he's not able to work on this 24/7 so optimizations come whenever he gets a chance to work on them.

I applaud his efforts. There's lots of talent in the LW community overseas.

DeadMan
07-27-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by cgolchert
That is kinda arrogant. if they could do better why haven't they?

As for slow...all you saw was a beta for a basically free plugin (at the most it cost $30) Plus you are tracing rays for every pixel in the render.

Just because Newtek doesn't do something, doesn't mean they can't. It probably means they just haven't tried.

jb_gfx
07-28-2003, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by pixelmonk
To add to that... his plugins are more physically accurate than LW's renderer and possibly OTHER renderers that have gained a cult following over the past 2-3 years, hence the reason for speed issues.

True but who care really? What count is too have tools you can really uses in productions not only toys that are "physically accurate"

Hervé
07-28-2003, 02:04 AM
Wrong LW'ers, his Plugins are Not Non-user friendly.... but user-enemy.... he he... as long as He knows how too use them.... I guess it' OK with him...(self)

Gregg "T.Rex"
07-28-2003, 05:53 AM
Hello people...

I recently finished some 2K shots for a film, using both Taiki and Maya's fluid clouds...

OGO taiki IS user-friendly. It just need some time to familiarize. About 30-60 minutes.

After that, the results are the best avaiiable on the market.
The most realistic accurate clouds (and not only) one can create with computers these days...

As for speed, it is slow only when you 're after for the best results. In average quality it is as fast as Maya volume clouds, though Maya can never reach the level of detail or reality Taiki can produce, no matter who's behind the monitor, ILM or not...

I vote for a complete buy-off of this guy or his work from Newtek.
After all, the team that wrote Maya Fluids is a small group of people working independently from the main Maya's core team.
Regards,
Gregg "T.Rex"